• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Random Motorcycle thoughts unworthy of a new thread

A few other notes:
1. AB3102 is in process. That will allow the individual sites to do the DMV riding test. Probably good for plenty of people and less standing in line at the DMV is always a good thing!

2. Auto Braking on vehicles reduces crashes by 50%.

3. The IIHS is also testing vehicle systems to be aware of motorcyclists in left turn situations. That is in the works. There are sending a crash test moto dummy into intersections at 40-60 kph to see if cars will automatically stop. Not going well so far.

4. WayMo is serious about AV's. They went straight to level 4 in development (full automous) where others are trying level 3 (don't depend on the bot) and there are big concerns from the IIHS about that and the disinformation that is out there from the manufacturers... cue Tesla.

5. Tesla is not meant to be autonomous! However they said they are pretty good for the most part. Of course committee members jumped in on that due to several moto deaths.

6. And finally. Drivers training was brought up because humans suck and training helps. Well statistically there is no difference to car drivers being in a crash where on a Moto there is some benefit.
I posted this in the thread the ThumperX started and thought it relates to this because we did have our SHSP meeting today and I brought up the Speed limit indicator bill because I think it is dangerous to riders.

Some feedback on SB 960 -- speedy flashy speed limit thing. I borught this up in our Moto Safety SHSP meeting today because I think it would be dangerous to us. All eyes looking where we are going thing!!
1719252441194.png

ABATE of CA with AMA support is fighting against this and so far it is looking like an exemption for Moto's is likely.

I found out that Virginia (thanks to MSF commitee member Rob G.) has tried all sorts of things to see if there is a way to communicate to a rider passively enough to provide the warning but none are viable.
Helmet, handgrips, gloves, seat and more were all tried.

Nick H. (AMA) brought up that this whole deal was developed in Europe and they too have failed to identify a viable solution for the application. I don't see how the Transportation committee will be able to follow through... although the "technology to be developed and approved" caveat is always possible when dealing with politico's.

Also of interest is the "Watch for Motorcyclist" signs on the freeways.
We sort of punched back on the CalTrans signs being all lumped together in one week. I said (as I have before) these would be a lot more effective if they ran for two days and then the next week two days etc. CHP agreed of course noting that it is difficult to get CalTrans to schedule that way but they are trying again and also trying to get specific holidays or events covered with the message. They are trying to get the signs leading to Laguna Seca for the MotoAmerica race to get the messaging because they know a lot of bikes will be headed there and that makes sense to do. Kudo's to the CHP for giving it the thought and trying to make it happend. :thumbup

I know on my GPS, the speed turns red when I'm over the limit. No blinking, no horns, or dialog boxes that need to be exited. Just a color change.

That would be a suitable, and not distracting mechanic to indicate the speed situation.

To me the idea is silly simply because I don't think it's necessary for a 250 DP bike to have a GPS on it.

If you want to stick it on a RT or something, be my guest, but there's a wider spectrum of motorcycles than there are cars out there in the market.

Last edited:
Yup. Triumph has been racing in the 250 SX and Outdoor Nationals this year.

I had a MX race called for weather. The clay turned to snotty ice when it rained. Knarly as F.

MX race called for weather??
:rofl I remember that one year the SuperCross race at Daytona. You'd just see bikes fly over the jumps and vanish in a blob of mud. It was amazing. I can't believe they ran that as a race. What a total mess.

Yes, here it is:

I forgot about that one. I will always remember Privateer and local boy Ricky Ryan winning Daytona in a mudder.

That was such a bummer for Reed and a blessing for Windam.

Last edited:
Anyone looking forward to this helping HWY 80 traffic cluster? Yolo HWY 80

I am not a fan of the pay to play lanes so I doctored up their image a bit. :laughing
1719355049388.png

Hopefully the merge and exit lane stuff will help. I just base my experience with people avoiding the pay to play lanes and that space is lost to traffic, plus most humans do not understand that the second lane is now the fast lane and will camp in it. :rant

Last edited:
CYCLE NEWS — If you don't read it you are missing good shit!!!

Ducati MX Bike... coming to your garage??
The OG for the win.

:thumbup

also, Cycle World, still bringin’ it with Mr Cameron:

What’s Ducati’s Advantage in Motocross With the Desmo450 MX?
“Ducati’s prototype 450 motocross bike is unconventional on the inside.”
cycle world.com, by Kevin Cameron, 02/02/2024

tl/dr:
“The question on everyone’s lips is, how will Ducati use its unique direct, springless valve operating system (“desmodromic”) to gain a performance advantage?”​

FE73DB66-70A2-4EE4-9A0B-4EFD302FF4F4.jpeg

:ride

Cameron is awesome. Even this dufus can understand him and from what he is saying it seems the Duc will be bad ass. It sure looks bad ass. 1719417630384.pngOh to be 21 again. :angel

^^:thumbup

I just posted a vid of Mr Cameron waxing poetic for 58 minutes about the mighty TZ750 production racer in the Xen-BARF Vintage Cafe. so awesome. :laughing

I’d love to have Ducati’s desmo MX engine to display next to my five-valve Yamaha single cylinder engine in my living room, someday. :toothless

Brother and Sister MotoAmerica racers on the podium together for the first time = History :thumbup

Nice little diddy on the local news. in Flormida.

In more Girl News Kayla Yaakov stepped onto the MotoAmerica Supersport Podium for the first time yesterday at the Ridge Raceway in Washington. Both Rahal Ducati's ended up there with PJ Jacobsen taking second behind now new point leader Matthew Scholtz on a Yamaha R6. RESULTS

Lets just say the newly 17yo was stoked!!!!

Rightly so.. really enjoyed seeing that. She will try to do that again in a little while.
1719770841173.png
Not familiar? Check out the Roadracing World Young Guns 2024 piece from April.

Last edited:
The RedBull Rookies Cup field took to Assen over the weekend.

In race 2 15yo American Kristian Daniel took a 7th :thumbup
1719859418631.png1719859546753.png
I remember the good ole days when Anthony Alonso was giving this a go. Several top American riders have over the years with Cam Beaubier and Joe Roberts being a couple that are still at it (although Roberts did get hurt in Assen and CamB was just back from injury at the Ridge this weekend).

Attachments

• Anthony collage.jpg
    Anthony collage.jpg
    774.2 KB · Views: 0
If you are thinking kids?? I don't care about kids then lets go the opposite way and share some time with a man with CLASS.

I had the pleasure of racing with him @ the 24 Hour in Willow Springs in 87 and then having him as a guest instructor at his son's STAR school in the early 2000's. He was still fast and when it came to leaning off the bike..... nadda happening. :teeth

Last edited:
The latest CYCLE NEWS is out sharing the two wheeled world.

Check it out!! Some great stories and photo's and bikes and news!

1719931224816.png1719931356573.png

If you are thinking kids?? I don't care about kids then lets go the opposite way and share some time with a man with CLASS.

I had the pleasure of racing with him @ the 24 Hour in Willow Springs in 87 and then having him as a guest instructor at his son's STAR school in the early 2000's. He was still fast and when it came to leaning off the bike..... nadda happening. :teeth

Thanks for the vid, Budman. I met Reg several times at his Class schools. He's an old school gentleman, and a pleasure to talk to.

AMA Motorcycle Hall of Famer Larry Huffman Passes​

PICKERINGTON, Ohio — AMA Motorcycle Hall of Famer Larry Huffman, American motorcycling’s most legendary AMA Supercross and motocross announcer and commentator, and the man behind the “Supermouth” nickname, passed away Monday, July 1. He was 82.

Huffman worked as a Southern California disc jockey during the 1960s and began announcing races at So Cal’s Costa Mesa Speedway in the late 1960s. Over the years he went on to announce just about every type of motorcycle competition, including AMA Supercross, Arenacross, ice racing, drag racing, flat track, hill climb, speedway and road racing.

Huffman was the P.A. announcer at the first Superbowl of Motocross at the Los Angeles Coliseum in 1972, and was soon named “Supermouth” by the Los Angeles Times for his 300-word-per-minute delivery and his ability to excite crowds. He is credited with being an integral part of early Supercross events and is widely recognized at the original “voice of Supercross.”

Huffman also co-wrote and co-produced the motion picture On Any Sunday II, and did announcer roles for numerous TV shows, including Charlie’s Angels, CHiPs, Miami Vice, Fantasy Island, and others.

Over the years, Huffman also did motorsports-related color commentary for the likes of ABC, CBS, NBC, TNN, ESPN and Speedvision.

Huffman was inducted into the AMA Motorcycle Hall of Fame in 2008. He will be missed.

1719951648893.png

As an early Supercross fan who attended races at the LA Colleseum I really enjoyed him and he did whip up the crowd. I had an interesting interaction with him at the '89 24 hour race at Willow Springs where they brought him out to announce.

I was called up to the booth as the Captain of the Bay Area Fast Boys when we were leading the 600 production class for an interview. When I came in the curtains were drawn and Larry was laying on the couch with a hand towel over his eyes. He was obviously tired as hell. This was 20 hours into the race.

He lifted the towel and said something "Hi Denny I am Larry. You guys are leading the 600 production class correct?" I said "Yes sir nice to meet you". He said "Nice to meet you too lets do this" laying the towel back down and he said "sit here on the floor "where he could reach the microphone.

We did the entire interview of 6 or so minutes without him looking at me, but his voice was alive and he loved the team name etc. That was so cool. When done he lifted the towel and said "You were great now go win this thing" then put the towel down and continued to announce the race.

What a unique moment.

:rip Larry You were great :rose

Back