• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Random Motorcycle thoughts unworthy of a new thread

Is it me or was this article written by an idiot reporter who either knows nothing about motorcycles or doesn't like riders?

CHP spokesman Mike Salas said a 23-year-old Reedley man was riding a Yamaha R6 motorcycle eastbound on Manning towards Smith and a Reedley man was driving a Nissan Frontier westbound on Manning who attempted to make a U-turn onto Manning to travel eastbound when for unknown reason the motorcycle broadsided the right side of the Nissan. The impact caused the rider to be ejected and the motorcycle became disabled within the eastbound lanes. The rider was taken to a Reedley hospital where he was pronounced dead.

Read more at: https://www.fresnobee.com/news/local/article290598304.html#storylink=cpy
This was one of the more idiotic articles about a motorcycle crash that I've seen over the years.

Am I over-reacting or was this article as bad as I think it is?

Right side??? Unknown reason... how about the U Turn??
Hard to know the facts, but yeah sounds pretty off.

:rip Mike

Well, it’s logical that if the van makes a u turn in front of an oncoming bike that the bike would hit the right side of the van.

It sounds like the “unknown reason” is the van violated the motorcycle’s right of way.

True.. I thought the U turn was the opposite direction which most cases would seem to be. So if it was the right side the driver should have had a pretty good visual of the rider (not depending on mirrors like I had assumed).

Good catch there and yup on your supposition.

SMR. Found myself in their path again. What a clusterfuck. The dude that rode 4-5 blind bends on the left lane is insane.
:afm199

The Lenovo Race of Champions featured top Ducati MotoGP and WSBK riders chasing Ducati pride on Panagale V4s at the Misano Circuit.

Bagnia brought home the gold with Iannone in second (top SBK man) and Marc Marquez in third after some bumping..ended with Bulega on the ground.<-- huge surpise. :laughing

Sounds like fun!
and it is on YouGube!

Great link Bud. They ran times 2.5-2.0 seconds off the WSBK Ducati factory team, on near stock 2025 V4s's. Dayem.....

Yeah... fun to see the guys on what I assume is equal machines.

I had one more thought. On Friday we were on a large group ride (9 bikes) and we hit several one way lights on HWY 36. Always a chance to get to the front of the line, but as the leader it meant making sure all can fit so that meant going beyond the stop line for a light or past the flagger. Several times I went well past the orange cones and kind of got a :wtf look from Mr. CalTrans.

One dude knew that meant more coming and he leaned out and waived everyone to come on up.
Then he moved the cones forward. Cool dude. Most of those folks are very cool to Moto's.

This guy asked "Where are you going?"

I said we are going to Weaverville and he said "That is a good place to leave".
We both had a good chuckle.

They have been busy with lots of new pavement on Leggett and 36.

Still... El Camino sucks :laughing

don't know if this story has popped u on Teh Barfs yet. It's about a women that rides solo across Africa.

In Angola, bikers threw her a party - to celebrate the journey she had taken so far.

"It's a small community," she says. "No matter where you are, if you get the right connection, you can meet any biker anywhere."

For Dakar fans. Sam Sunderland is retiring. The two time Dakar Champ and World Rally Raid Champion left a mark on the sport.

YouGube link from the article.

The CYCLE News issue has lots of very cool Photo's of the MotoGP guys in their special 75th anniversary liveries and of course all kinds of other moto content for consumption including the kids taking on Loretta Lynn's.
1722969103986.png

Last edited:
American Flat Track is hitting the streets of Sturgis and here is a vid of some testing on the track.
Vet racer Bryan Smith is the beta tester.

JD Beach won the 1/2 mile and now only needs a mile win to complete the magic all types of AMA wins.
Cannot remember the last person to do it. Since the championship has not included road races for years seems JD is really the only guy that has a shot.

They moved this race from the 'Chip, to downtown? For the last Sunday?
This test looks like maybe a month early, only a couple of vendor tents up.
It takes weeks to set up and weeks to take away, there will be racing with way more stuff on the street, than you see in this video. Hay bales and portapotties, signs, banners, vendor tents, and traffic, RV, to bikes loaded to bar hopping,
Racing vs Traffic, one paved road thru town, one dirt road from the 'Chip, to I 90, confused.

In process moving to Cottonwood, maybe a double wide, or Park Model in a couple of years.
So, I'm parked for awhile,

Sturgis is as big as Burning Man when exodus starts, it has the bonus of overlapping events, not one day to leave and one road out.
This race is only two blocks off the main road out.

Good news on SB 961 - My insiders say dat da Wiener is removing moto's from this action.
We discussed at length in our CA MotoSafety Committee that this was a bad idea for motorcycle riders because we need full attention to help us ride safely and any automated speed crappola would be a diversion from that effort.

1723666458553.png

Wait, required to have AND required to be able to be disabled? WTF is this shitty logic? Cost for the sake of cost? Is there any language about speed logging?

Full language (moto not exempted yet).
1723674988980.png
1723675046452.png

Back