• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Retail giants are blaming their lower profits on theft...

Does it matter? Im sure both cases exist in any reasonably large population.

On average, probably. Are people in general more likely to steal when they have their needs satisfied - I doubt it.

Of course, if they could afford all the luxury items (ie super wealthy), then they may start stealing again. But it'd be legal or a white-collar crime and they'd get a slap on the wrist. : |

Yeah, I hear Jean Valjean Construction Co. needed those 48 Makita saws to put on Faceboob Marketplace so he could feed his sister's kids. Or was it to build some wall? Hell if I know, let's ask him when he comes back for more next week!

Yeah, I hear Jean Valjean Construction Co. needed those 48 Makita saws to put on Faceboob Marketplace so he could feed his sister's kids. Or was it to build some wall? Hell if I know, let's ask him when he comes back for more next week!

Anecdotes don’t have much of a place in conversations about populations and averages. So let’s not ask him without asking 1000s of other thieves.

Retailers have been increasingly concerned about a loss of profits because of shrinkage…

Jargon for missing inventory

Last edited:
I shop at a Dollar Store, how much stuff ya gotta steal to make a dent in their profit? :dunno

They don't even let you take the shopping carts outside! :x

Dollar Tree said theft is such a problem it will start locking up items or stop selling them altogether

Is this really happening, or has it become the reason de jour that profits are down to keep bonuses up?

Thoughts? What are people seeing in these stores?

first thing - makes me cringe - the term 'retail giant'. only 'giant' thing i'm into is sequoias. okay - and pandas lol.

second - am baffled by the concept of keeping bonuses up when profits are down. there is no reason 'du jour', or otherwise that overrides simple financial management: less money in = less money out. the 'reason' may keep you from getting fired, but it's not going to get you rewarded (don't even bother trying to make an excuse).

and WRT the underlying reason for theft - point to anywhere in our current situation where truth, honesty and integrity are strong examples for youth and the population at large. the cynical side of me feels surrounded by mislead, misdirect, outright lie, take, take, take - and exploit. our behavior is practically pavlovian at this point. we have met our own expectations. :nchantr

That's why I'm curious if the "shrinkage" losses are spiking here and in NY, or is there a general rise everywhere.

Anecdotes don’t have much of a place in conversations about populations and averages. So let’s not ask him without asking 1000s of other thieves.

Maybe that one would have done better on my musical theatre forum... :twofinger

Have you not seen the countless videos of all the smash and grabs? It used to be limited to just the Bay Area. Now its making its way throughout the state.

[YOUTUBE]l2c7tc4uLv8[/YOUTUBE]

But Agent Orange, this is purely ANECDOTAL [SARCASM]Clearly you are a racist and incapable of understanding the complex dynamics of people stealing shit, because nobody has compiled all of these anecdotes in a study on crime...[/SARCASM]

As usual, LB is right on point. It kind of baffles me how many people can't understand the correlation between a decrease in consequences or any accountability and an increase in antisocial behavior.
It's almost like they've grown up in a bubble of their own rich comfort and have never met someone who will just punch you in the face or take your shit because nobody is watching...:rofl Yeah, it's really just because there aren't enough "HELP WANTED" signs. :rolleyes

You sound like someone who doesn't know many Executives and hasn't been to many Board meetings.

For starters, bonuses are not always directly tied to profits. Rather than goign down the rabbit hole of your weird obsession with executive bonus structures, let it suffice to say that shrinkage is an acknowledged ongoing problem in the current retail environment, particularly in States like California that have essentially decriminalized a lot of retail theft.
I knew and worked with plenty, back when I was corporate, there were very few that I respected, many lied as a matter of course. The higher up they were, often the more they deviated from the truth to get an advantage.

Most got there by playing politics or by being one of the annointed ones.

Yeah, it's really just because there aren't enough "HELP WANTED" signs. :rolleyes

As a metaphor, it kinda is. What we tend to do now is go soft on crime punishment because we feel bad for not doing enough for crime prevention, because we're shortsighted bozos that lack the wisdom to see more than than what's right in front of us. We go soft on crime punishment to make ourselves feel better, even though it's worse for everyone in the long run, kinda like giving hobos drug/alcohol money. That's a feel good effort for us, which is also a harmful enabler for them. Going soft on crime punishment may make sense at some point, like once there's a kickass system in place to create opportunities and cram work skills into every person, but until then, it's an enabler that's reflective of our failings.

Dollar Tree said theft is such a problem it will start locking up items or stop selling them altogether

Is this really happening, or has it become the reason de jour that profits are down to keep bonuses up?

Thoughts? What are people seeing in these stores?

Dude, you need to find new News sources. Retail theft is up by anywhere from 25 to more than 50%, depending on where it’s happening. It cost over $125B last year, and cost an estimated 3/4 of a million jobs.

Back in January, CNN headlines said “Stores say shoplifting is a national crisis. The numbers don’t back it up”. Then, barely two months later, “Why retail theft is soaring: inflation, the economy – and opportunity”.

The solution is simple. Increase the penalty for stealing, and lower that bar so basically anything but petty theft is a felony. Steal a pack of gum, restitution, a fine, community service. Steal a power tool from Home Depot, a felony, restitution, a fine, prison time, parole. Theft would stop real quick. “You man, Johnny got locked up for 6 months for getting caught stealing that power drill from Lowe’s. You believe that shit!?” Allow loss prevention the tools to handle theft, and the company to back them up when they do. They’ve turned into living security cameras, where you just watch someone steal your shit, and leave with it, then when the cops show up 15 minutes after the thieves have left, they shrug and say “We’ll, all we have is a grainy picture that looks like every other dude walking around the store right now.”

“Flash mobs” or whatever you want to call it of looters/robbers, is all over the news. There was three in less than a week in LA, stealing almost 3/4 of a million.

Yeah, it’s a problem. No, nothing is being done about it…well, nothing with any teeth anyway. People need to be made examples of, that’s how society learns.

Maybe that one would have done better on my musical theatre forum... :twofinger

But Agent Orange, this is purely ANECDOTAL [SARCASM]Clearly you are a racist and incapable of understanding the complex dynamics of people stealing shit, because nobody has compiled all of these anecdotes in a study on crime...[/SARCASM]

As usual, LB is right on point. It kind of baffles me how many people can't understand the correlation between a decrease in consequences or any accountability and an increase in antisocial behavior.
It's almost like they've grown up in a bubble of their own rich comfort and have never met someone who will just punch you in the face or take your shit because nobody is watching...:rofl Yeah, it's really just because there aren't enough "HELP WANTED" signs. :rolleyes

Got any studies to support your point? Do stiffer consequences for theft decrease theft in a statistically significant way? Are there any other factors that produce a larger increase or decrease in theft?

I agree with the opinion that stiffer consequences will have some impact on theft. Id guess that it's not a large effect.

Last edited:
Dude, you need to find new News sources. Retail theft is up by anywhere from 25 to more than 50%, depending on where it’s happening. It cost over $125B last year, and cost an estimated 3/4 of a million jobs.

Back in January, CNN headlines said “Stores say shoplifting is a national crisis. The numbers don’t back it up”. Then, barely two months later, “Why retail theft is soaring: inflation, the economy – and opportunity”.

The solution is simple. Increase the penalty for stealing, and lower that bar so basically anything but petty theft is a felony. Steal a pack of gum, restitution, a fine, community service. Steal a power tool from Home Depot, a felony, restitution, a fine, prison time, parole. Theft would stop real quick. “You man, Johnny got locked up for 6 months for getting caught stealing that power drill from Lowe’s. You believe that shit!?” Allow loss prevention the tools to handle theft, and the company to back them up when they do. They’ve turned into living security cameras, where you just watch someone steal your shit, and leave with it, then when the cops show up 15 minutes after the thieves have left, they shrug and say “We’ll, all we have is a grainy picture that looks like every other dude walking around the store right now.”

“Flash mobs” or whatever you want to call it of looters/robbers, is all over the news. There was three in less than a week in LA, stealing almost 3/4 of a million.

Yeah, it’s a problem. No, nothing is being done about it…well, nothing with any teeth anyway. People need to be made examples of, that’s how society learns.

Not to nitpick, but that's not actually a solution. Obviously the current state of crime punishment for theft is stupid weak, plus our jails and prisons tend to be crime amplifiers more than they are preventers, but crime prevention is a solution.

You see how the last part of your paragraph shows why the first part may not work all that well?

What's your proposal for convicting criminals for these kinds of theft with today's resources and legal system? It'll probably need to be cheaper for the retailers than the profit lost. Who knows what sort of cost the local govt will pay for this. And it'd be cool if your solution didn't have a noticeable false positive rate and wasn't racist. But all that sounds like a pipedream.

I guess you all missed the news story that Mexican cartels are now involved in running retail theft gangs. It went from homeless guys stealing travel cosmetics and flash mobs stealing Gucci to the same wonderful souls who brought you human cargo and fentanyl. Or maybe earlier when leaving labels on baseball hats and going into sporting goods stores was a thing.

https://washingtonretail.org/mexica...organized,network to span multiple continents.

So all the hand-wringing over crime and punishment kind of pales to this development. I was in a Harbor Freight the other day and almost everyone looked pretty sketchy and sure enough, somebody went right out the alarmed side doors while I was there. Not saying it wasn’t just a common thief but man, I don’t know how retail clerks are supposed to handle an organized onslaught.

Oh, and Facebook Marketplace and DeWalt, or Makita tools? It can’t not be theft of stores and construction sites.

Last edited:
Not to nitpick, but that's not actually a solution. Obviously the current state of crime punishment for theft is stupid weak, plus our jails and prisons tend to be crime amplifiers more than they are preventers, but crime prevention is a solution.

I agree and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

What ideas do you have for crime prevention?

Education all the things, including trades. There's just no way that a smart and healthy nation doesn't kick ass, directly or indirectly(i.e problem solving).

It's just not a California thing.

What has received far less attention, however, is the fact that California’s Prop. 47 was not an outlier among states. In the past 10 years, nearly half of all states have boosted their thresholds for retail felony theft.

Thirty-eight states now don’t consider shoplifting a felony unless $1,000 or more of merchandise gets stolen. A 2020 National Retail Federation report on organized retail crime found that two-thirds of retailers in states that had raised their felony shoplifting minimums reported growing retail theft.

https://nypost.com/2022/01/22/why-shoplifting-is-soaring-in-the-us-and-will-get-worse/

first thing - makes me cringe - the term 'retail giant'. only 'giant' thing i'm into is sequoias. okay - and pandas lol.

second - am baffled by the concept of keeping bonuses up when profits are down. there is no reason 'du jour', or otherwise that overrides simple financial management: less money in = less money out. the 'reason' may keep you from getting fired, but it's not going to get you rewarded (don't even bother trying to make an excuse).

and WRT the underlying reason for theft - point to anywhere in our current situation where truth, honesty and integrity are strong examples for youth and the population at large. the cynical side of me feels surrounded by mislead, misdirect, outright lie, take, take, take - and exploit. our behavior is practically pavlovian at this point. we have met our own expectations. :nchantr

The article doesn't say anything about bonuses, that is just weird random peanut gallery talk.

I knew and worked with plenty, back when I was corporate, there were very few that I respected, many lied as a matter of course. The higher up they were, often the more they deviated from the truth to get an advantage.

Most got there by playing politics or by being one of the annointed ones.

Be that as it may, the bonus thing you have implied just isn't really a thing I ever see very much aside from the notorious practices in some sectors of the Banking Industry.

We all know Bankers, investment bankers in particular are doing gross shit to take cash bonuses, but otherwise it isn't so much of a hand wringing situation where they are developing crazy conspiracies over a period of months to "protect our sacred bonuses!"

It is either already hard written into the employment agreement or a process part of the Q4 analysis. :dunno

Back