• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Retail giants are blaming their lower profits on theft...

The article doesn't say anything about bonuses, that is just weird random peanut gallery talk.

am aware babe. but rather than your characterization, i prefer to think of it as responding to an editorial comment. whether or not i agree with climber on any specific issue - i still adore him.

Be that as it may, the bonus thing you have implied just isn't really a thing I ever see very much aside from the notorious practices in some sectors of the Banking Industry.

We all know Bankers, investment bankers in particular are doing gross shit to take cash bonuses, but otherwise it isn't so much of a hand wringing situation where they are developing crazy conspiracies over a period of months to "protect our sacred bonuses!"

It is either already hard written into the employment agreement or a process part of the Q4 analysis. :dunno

no argument with anything you said about bankers - but in my experience, bonuses are de rigueur in the entire corporate world. cash for private entities, and both cash and stock for public ones. and i have no small amount of experience around this, including how these retention incentive plans are designed and work.

Oakland is probably an outlier here, but an outlier on the extreme side. We have stores closing daily here. Multiple small retail, large retail, and minority owned businesses are leaving. A couple weeks ago thieves hit FIVE stores in a row over the weekend, knocking down the doors with SUV's. A local liquor store had the same thing happen. Not a big chain, but one man store, they knocked down his store front with an SUV and stole liquor and cigarettes. Destroyed lots of structure and stayed there for well over a half hour loading multiple SUV's.

We see this weekly now. Small business is totally fucked here, and big business is leaving as well. Walmart closed a branch here several years ago due to slippage.

My local Safeway redid the entire checkout counter process, now to check out, all the checkout kiosks feed into a gated area, that has one exit, where a security guard stands watching at the door. I'm happy they did that if it keeps them in business.

At this point OPD can't even guarantee citizen security. We have multiple car jackings weekly, kidnapping, pimping of minors, strongarm robbery, and bizarre and dangerous driving behavior. It's a total shit show.

That sounds like the suck Ernie. :(

Oakland is probably an outlier here, but an outlier on the extreme side. We have stores closing daily here. Multiple small retail, large retail, and minority owned businesses are leaving. A couple weeks ago thieves hit FIVE stores in a row over the weekend, knocking down the doors with SUV's. A local liquor store had the same thing happen. Not a big chain, but one man store, they knocked down his store front with an SUV and stole liquor and cigarettes. Destroyed lots of structure and stayed there for well over a half hour loading multiple SUV's.

We see this weekly now. Small business is totally fucked here, and big business is leaving as well. Walmart closed a branch here several years ago due to slippage.

My local Safeway redid the entire checkout counter process, now to check out, all the checkout kiosks feed into a gated area, that has one exit, where a security guard stands watching at the door. I'm happy they did that if it keeps them in business.

At this point OPD can't even guarantee citizen security. We have multiple car jackings weekly, kidnapping, pimping of minors, strongarm robbery, and bizarre and dangerous driving behavior. It's a total shit show.

What in the fuck all is that useless mayor Sheng Thao doing to stop all this?

That sounds like the suck Ernie. :(

It is, thanks, Dennis.

Lots of people leaving, mostly older retired.

For me, it means being vigilant if I am out on the street. Fortunately my Pit Bull, Streak, is usually with me, and the young thieves don't really like to take chances with Pit Bulls. She's actually friendly, but what the hey.

I've been assaulted three times in the last year. All minor bullshit, guy threw something in my face, and some wannabe street hoodlum bumped shoulders with me three times in a row. The third time I put him on the sidewalk, lol. He leaves me alone now. I think he is just deranged, actually.

For me, it means being vigilant if I am out on the street. Fortunately my Pit Bull, Streak, is usually with me, and the young thieves don't really like to take chances with Pit Bulls. She's actually friendly, but what the hey.

Get her one of those leather, spiked collars to fill out the ruse.

I don't know where to find the data on retail theft specifically, but I was poking around recently for other reasons and in general the data shows that those liberal "hug a thug" blue states mostly have lower crime rates (especially violent crime) than law and order red states. Even if retail theft is higher here in CA (doubt it is), I wouldn't trade that for our way lower violent crime rate. It doesn't fit the narrative, but NYC is actually safer than many rural areas.

In the very big picture, retail theft is a pretty shitty way to make a living unless your a cartel at the top of the food chain, so it's not like people are passing up good living wage jobs to jack product from walgreens, it's a wee bit more complicated than that, and the solutions are also going to be complicated.

The topic is retail theft and the above Oakland resident sees things are worse not better. Don’t suppose being soft on crime has something to do with that?

Pretty sure everyone realizes retail theft is a shitty way to make a living, so is drug dealing prostitution and Uber driving, yet plenty of people make those choices daily. Being a shitty way of making a living has never been a deterrent to crime.

Stores are closing because of scumbag thieves robbing shit they don’t need. Lock em up.

Lock em up.

And how exactly will that solve the problem or address the issues causing it in the first place? Historically, warehousing people has never actually resolved anything. It's a temporary solution for those in better social standing among us to feel more comfortable believing that locking up the ne'er-do-well members of society somehow eliminates or even reduces crime. Sure, jail/prison should be a deterrent for people thinking of committing a crime, but most do not care. However, the way our laws are written, you cannot simply lock someone up and throw away the key for petty theft nor can you cut off people's hands for it either.

Dealing with the socioeconomic issues that cause this shit in the first place is the only way to truly address the problem IMO. Many Sociologists seem to agree. However, there's mostly no profit in helping people. But jailing them on the other hand, there's a lot of money to be made there...

And how exactly will that solve the problem or address the issues causing it in the first place? Historically, warehousing people has never actually resolved anything. It's a temporary solution for those in better social standing among us to feel more comfortable believing that locking up the ne'er-do-well members of society somehow eliminates or even reduces crime. Sure, jail/prison should be a deterrent for people thinking of committing a crime, but most do not care. However, the way our laws are written, you cannot simply lock someone up and throw away the key for petty theft nor can you cut off people's hands for it either.

Dealing with the socioeconomic issues that cause this shit in the first place is the only way to truly address the problem IMO. Many Sociologists seem to agree. However, there's mostly no profit in helping people. But jailing them on the other hand, there's a lot of money to be made there...

:applause

Your choices are to effectively decriminalize theft/vandalism/trespassing/assault/etc., or put struggling people in super toxic environments. There's a promotion of crime happening either way, either by putting criminals in toxic environments, or by making punishments a joke. It's lose-lose when it comes to the people committing crimes. The only impact society can make with choosing one lose over the other is whether or not we want to foster vigilantism, which is kind of like taking the toxic environment found in prison and making it everywhere.

It’s the most prosperous country in the world with a shortage of labour. Economically it will likely never be better in our lifetime. Don’t wait for other to fix your problems.
People are shitty situations because of poor decisions. Some will have it tougher than other and will have to work harder, life ain’t fair that’s how it goes.

You make shit decisions there should be consequences. You make repeated shit decisions then the rest of the world shouldn’t have to suffer your presence.

Looters being shot on site isn’t a new concept. Simply locking them up is actually going easy on them.

I agree that dealing with the socioeconomic issues is a long term fix.

However, when the thieves are violent and preying on the vulnerable. Lock their asses up, so that the productive citizens can work and live in safety, and the thieves can have a chance in the future to change their ways. I have zero, none whatsoever, sympathy for these fucksticks. They target senior citizens and the vulnerable with violence and disdain. My next door neighbor, a 70 plus year old widow, got mugged by four a couple months ago. Fuck them.

I agree that dealing with the socioeconomic issues is a long term fix.

However, when the thieves are violent and preying on the vulnerable. Lock their asses up, so that the productive citizens can work and live in safety, and the thieves can have a chance in the future to change their ways. I have zero, none whatsoever, sympathy for these fucksticks. They target senior citizens and the vulnerable with violence and disdain. My next door neighbor, a 70 plus year old widow, got mugged by four a couple months ago. Fuck them.

In most cases, they still won't stay in there forever. So again, what do you suggest be done to actually fix the problem? Prison is not a longterm solution for lower-level violent offenders.

Last edited:
[youtube]Tap6SEf0Er4[/youtube]
(puke)

Home invaders tend to not be all that credible. Since old dude likely didn’t have ultrasound equipment in his living room to verify her claim of being pregnant he did exactly what should be done to home invaders who jump and possibly kill 80 year old folks resting at home.

In most cases, they still won't stay in there forever. So again, what do you suggest be done to actually fix the problem? Prison is not a longterm solution for lower-level violent offenders.

Longtime solution? lock them up longer obviously

Home invaders tend to not be all that credible. Since old dude likely didn’t have ultrasound equipment in his living room to verify her claim of being pregnant he did exactly what should be done to home invaders who jump and possibly kill 80 year old folks resting at home.

Dude is likely going to lose if a case is brought. There's plenty of precedent that states you cannot go after people and shoot them once the threat is eliminated. They were leaving and he shot the woman in the back. There was likely no credible threat to him at that point. By his own admission, they were running away.

I'm all for people utilizing the Castle Doctrine to defend themselves in their home, but this guy went beyond that and admitted it on record.

Longtime solution? lock them up longer obviously

:facepalm

Thanks for not reading anything I said previously regarding the fact that what you're asking for will never happen per the laws we have in this country.

FAFO. (In regard to the video.)

Actually, he shot her in the back after the danger to him disappeared. In Ca that's murder, purely and simply.

That said, when standards are lowered, that's what you get. When you pass a law basically making shoplifting legal, it's legal and more will happen. When you allow speeding and side shows to happen, the standards are lowered and more happens.

That's the problem with lowered standards. Oakland is the perfect example of lowered standards.

Last edited:
Back