• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

RZ350 re-frame... classic 2-stroke gets modern upgrade

Fantastic! Every time I get a notification about this thread, I get excited.
Real work is good too. :laughing:thumbup

I am new to BARF, just joined, but love this thread. I also love RZ350s as you can tell by my account pic. thanks again for sharing this build with the group.

Fantastic! Every time I get a notification about this thread, I get excited.
Real work is good too. :laughing:thumbup

Thanks Lonny :thumbup

I am new to BARF, just joined, but love this thread. I also love RZ350s as you can tell by my account pic. thanks again for sharing this build with the group.

Welcome to BARF:thumbup... and be sure to post an intro and include some RZ pictures!:ride

I'm amazed once again. I don't know if I'm more amazed that you can design those parts, or that some one half the world away can make them from your design. Oh well, back to the garage and my hack-saw and file. :afm199:laughing

Much respect

Upon returning this is the first thread read.
Wowzer was the first thought after seeing the work to bring forth a new level of creative engineering.

Many thanks to all who contribute their opinions and talents to keep this evolving. It's this level of dedication that provides some of us with the desire to remain riding and enjoying the motor-sickles that sparked our interest as wee tots more that 45 years ago.

:afm199

Upon returning this is the first thread read.
Wowzer was the first thought after seeing the work to bring forth a new level of creative engineering.

Many thanks to all who contribute their opinions and talents to keep this evolving. It's this level of dedication that provides some of us with the desire to remain riding and enjoying the motor-sickles that sparked our interest as wee tots more that 45 years ago.

:afm199

Thank you:thumbup ...and see your user name, glad to have another 2-stroke enthusiast along for the ride:ride

A quick update.

I've been super busy with a new job and some additional work on the side, but I managed to find time yesterday to machine some cross tubes for the mid-frame assemblies. It was a good day to be in the garage.

20210404_181238 by andbike, on Flickr

20210404_165019 by andbike, on Flickr

Your machined parts look like jewelry, and inspire lust in my heart.

Super cool. Thanks for not just sharing your project, but all the great photos of the fabrication. I'm often more interested in the process than the final result.

Thanks guys. Glad you're enjoying the project:thumbup

I finally got some garage time and turned a batch of lower frame cross-tubes.

20210506_170803 by andbike, on Flickr

...meanwhile, arriving from my friends in China

20210422_100805 by andbike, on Flickr

...and arriving from Reno NV

20210509_140041 by andbike, on Flickr

Now all of the mid-frame component parts are completed. Next up, I need to build a fixture to hold everything in alignment for welding. Then off to see Dennis E. for some of his magic.

Stay tuned...

Where is the BIG SMILE/rubbing hands together emoji?
thanks for the updates Julian.

You continue to impress, Julian. Amazing stuff from a humble little garage. :thumbup

You continue to impress, Julian. Amazing stuff from a humble little garage. :thumbup

Thanks Jeff! By the way, I like the name "Humble Little Garage". I might have to use that somewhere.:thumbup

It would be a great name for a TV series on a guy who builds cool bikes.....just sayin'.

Earlier today: The man, the myth, the legend... the man behind the mask, Dennis E doing some of his voodoo magic...

20210611_103536 by andbike, on Flickr

20210611_115254 by andbike, on Flickr

A few weeks earlier: several blocks of aluminum, including a piece of MIC-6 tooling plate for the base, get machined and transformed into a welding fixture specific for the mid-frame.

20210523_155434 by andbike, on Flickr

20210606_122638 by andbike, on Flickr

20210523_172529 by andbike, on Flickr

20210523_175755 by andbike, on Flickr

Then a few days ago a preliminary test fit. Some of the laser cut brackets still need a bit of filing, so those are left out. So far, so good.

20210606_184621 by andbike, on Flickr

This morning I arrived at Norman Racing a few minutes early and get everything set up in the fixture ready for welding.

20210611_103038 by andbike, on Flickr

Back home tonight with the first mid-frame and it looks really nice! I'm very please with the welding. Those beads look great. Dennis did a great job:thumbup Next week I go back to pick up mid-frame #2 and #3.

20210611_221351 by andbike, on Flickr

20210611_221325 by andbike, on Flickr

Stay tuned...

Back