• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

RZ350 re-frame... classic 2-stroke gets modern upgrade

In my fantasy world you would be working with Alan Minyard and producing more art for Barber Motorcycle museum.

I like the old school manual machining. No CDC or computer controlled machine. It's become a dying art.

F*CKING HELL this is amazing. I wish i had these skills.

Thank you!:thumbup

In my fantasy world you would be working with Alan Minyard and producing more art for Barber Motorcycle museum.

Hah! your fantasy isn't that far off... Maybe not Alan Minyard, but I am working with Tony Dukas on this project. The plan is to get a frame to Tony for his race team later in the year and in time for a big race weekend at Barber. If Tony likes the frame, in exchange I'm hoping to get one of his monster RZ/Banshee engines. Fingers crossed.:teeth

I like the old school manual machining. No CDC or computer controlled machine. It's become a dying art.

I've been turning dials (manual machining) for close to 30 years now. I've only taken one machining class in college, but later spent a few years looking over the shoulder of an old friend who was a true journeyman machinist. When ever I have something difficult to machine I always ask myself "how would Bob do this?" Thanks for the comment:thumbup

-snip-

Hah! your fantasy isn't that far off... Maybe not Alan Minyard, but I am working with Tony Dukas on this project. The plan is to get a frame to Tony for his race team later in the year and in time for a big race weekend at Barber. If Tony likes the frame, in exchange I'm hoping to get one of his monster RZ/Banshee engines. Fingers crossed.:teeth

THAT would be amazing! Here's to hoping.

Art I can understand without discussion!
Thank you.

You continue to amaze, Julian.
You are manufacturing large scale jewelry, imo.

Holy shit.
Moto pron!!!
I love it.

...and then there were three!

51257438348_f8f9c68481_b.jpg
[/url]20210617_184007 by andbike, on Flickr[/IMG]

THAT would be amazing! Here's to hoping.

I need one of those ^^^^^ :teeth

That is some beautiful aluminum there Julian. Looking great! :thumbup

Tony Dukas has been calling me every few weeks for updates on the frame progress. He seams as excited as I am. I just hope the frame works well on the race track and he is still happy with it. Okay, now back to the shop. I have work to do...

This update isn't as exciting as the last few, but progress is progress.

With the changes to the frame design, the main frame fixture requires a few new mounting locations and spacers. This is to hold in place the new frame lugs for the revised front portion of the frame. Also the front frame tubes have a slightly different position, so that requires building new plywood fixtures for cutting and notching.

Frame fixture getting a few more holes for positioning the new lugs...

20210627_123901 by andbike, on Flickr

Spacers that will fit between the fixture plates and the lugs...

20210627_135605 by andbike, on Flickr

And some plywood being laminated. (note: lots of weight is used to keep the plywood flat while the glue dries)...

20210627_142006 by andbike, on Flickr

Stay tuned. Things are gonna start coming together very soon!

This is perhaps the only thread here on BARF that I will click on if I see a new post, no matter what else is going on.

Back