• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Saw two idiots, YES both ARE idiots IMO! I'm sure most of us have seen it or experienced it?

John2023

Active member
Joined
Oct 27, 2023
Location
California
Moto(s)
Ninja Z
Was on 99 going southbound in the Ripon/Modesto area. One idiot was hogging the fast lane doing the speed limit. The other idiot was tailgating and honking at the fast lane hogger to move over.

There weren't much traffic but guess both idiots just felt entitled for whatever reason??

Personally, if I was on the fast lane and someone is approaching me, I would signaled to let him/her know that I'm changing lane, and move over even if I was doing the speed limit or faster.

If someone was in front of me, I would just go around that person when safe instead of tailgating.

In my opinion, both of them are in the wrong based on their actions and behaviors.
 
It's too bad we don't drive like many countries in Europe. The fast lane is for passing and if there's someone faster than you, signal and pull over even if you're going the speed limit. And in Europe flashing your headings to let people know you're going faster than them is not a challenge to their manhood!
 
I always flash my lights when I see a police officer nearby. Just a signal to slow your roll. Or of course the hand to the helmet in a tapping fashion.
Been a minute since I've ridden but my memory still serves.
 
It's too bad we don't drive like many countries in Europe. The fast lane is for passing and if there's someone faster than you, signal and pull over even if you're going the speed limit. And in Europe flashing your headings to let people know you're going faster than them is not a challenge to their manhood!

Agree. If there are two lanes available, I've always tried to stay on the slow lane unless I when want to pass. If there are three lanes or more, I usually stay in the middle lane more. I think common courtesy goes a long way regardless of laws.
 
I feel I'm one of the few driver (when in may car) left who'll keep and eye on my six and more over a lane whenever I see a faster car approaching. If I'm not passing cars I'm not staying in the far left lane. That said, I don't bother trying to get lane campers to move, I just find a gap and go around them.
 
I feel I'm one of the few driver (when in may car) left who'll keep and eye on my six and more over a lane whenever I see a faster car approaching. If I'm not passing cars I'm not staying in the far left lane. That said, I don't bother trying to get lane campers to move, I just find a gap and go around them.

Same here N4teTheGreat. I feel there's already enough crazies out there as is, why add fuel to the fire.
 
I feel I'm one of the few driver (when in may car) left who'll keep and eye on my six and more over a lane whenever I see a faster car approaching. If I'm not passing cars I'm not staying in the far left lane. That said, I don't bother trying to get lane campers to move, I just find a gap and go around them.

Same here N4teTheGreat. I feel there's already enough crazies out there as is, why add fuel to the fire.
There are three of us.

EDIT: I-5 south of where 580 comes is feels like it is backwards. ALL passing in done in the right lane, sometimes I feel I should move to my left to let faster drivers go by. :dunno
 
I feel I'm one of the few driver (when in may car) left who'll keep and eye on my six and more over a lane whenever I see a faster car approaching. If I'm not passing cars I'm not staying in the far left lane. That said, I don't bother trying to get lane campers to move, I just find a gap and go around them.
Same here N4teTheGreat. I feel there's already enough crazies out there as is, why add fuel to the fire.
There are three of us.
Make that four. I just did the drive up I-5 from Bakersfield today and the number of idiots going the speed limit in the left lane and forcing folks to pass on the right was astounding. So many people without a clue. I get that the right lane is rough, but making people pass in it? Heck, I had to check for a cracked rim at the next stop after hitting one pothole at passing speed in the right lane.
 
I did this in town, I saw a fire truck way back, couldn't hear it yet, but I got over and some followed me, then the siren alerted all, , ,
Watch a fire truck roll thru a roundie, with a car that has it partially blocked, wouldn't clear the intersection.
 
Make that four.
Make that five.
But....this also reminds me of a stupid joke from one of my clients:

A CHP officer came across traffic backing up behind a slow moving car on Hwy 37. He pulled the vehicle over, half expecting to find someone DUI.
In the car were 4 little old ladies in their late 80's or early 90's. He noticed the three passengers were frozen in fear, trembling and having a difficult time getting their words out as they were still hyperventilating from panic. What confused the officer was how calm and collected the driver was in addition to being puzzled about why she'd been pulled over.
He asked her: "Can you tell me why you were driving so slowly?"
She replied: "I was merely going the posted speed limit of 37.....I just passed the sign a few miles ago."
The officer understood the looks on the passenger's faces when he realized they'd just come from Hwy 101.
 
A friend gave me one of these electric billboard-like signs as a gag gift a few years ago. I had no use for it until I realized it made a good "on demand bumper sticker" for my truck. I put it on the rear window, behind the passenger side headrest and loaded a few texts into it that I can pull up with a single touch on my phone's homepage (or lock screen).

I have these saved to the quick toggle on my phone; just 1 tap to turn on the sign and have it display:
"CHP ahead" (especially when I see motos coming up on me and I'm running Waze)
"Thank you" (for when someone does something kind/helpful)
"Get off your phone!" (self explanatory)
"Get off my ass unless you're buying dinner" (for tailgaters when I'm not in the left lane)
"Move → if you want to camp on the highway" (I occasionally use this when I pass a left-lane camper after giving them plenty of time to move over - since morons love doing 65+/- in the fast lane despite the rest of traffic doing 70-80... There's a couple variations of this message, randomly set as the default display, since it gets used the most)

It's childish. It's dumb. But it keeps my irritation to a minimum, since I'm not raging but still communicating their bad behavior to drivers... particularly when it gets a rise out of the left-lane-campers when they look up from their phones...

EDIT: Fixed odd strikethrough text formatting
 
Last edited:
I like the sign. Will it display in reverse? I'd like to put it on a sun visor and drop it down for the car ahead to read in their mirror.
 
OMG you just described everyday here in the swamps. Driving I-10 is a lesson in how shitty people drive. Constant people in left lane doing 70.5 MPH trying to pass cars doing 70 in right and then they finally pass after 10 miles and don't move over, it's like there car only moves left and can't go back to the right.

Or the people who like to sit in big rig blind spots for miles on end.

Or the person who slows down when they get next to a car in the right and they match speed forever and then when they hit a clear spot someone can pass them they speed up to 90 catch up to the next car in the right and slow down to match speed again. Usually this person has there face down looking at their phone.

Lately I have had a couple of people I have passed have then for some inexplicable reason waited a few minutes then they get in the left, go like a bat our of hell and then ride my ass like I just didn't pass them 2 miles ago.
 
i-5 northbound right lane is BEAT, people are more likely to camp in the left lane in that scenario because the right lane is so bad. the point still stands though, if you're not passing, then move to the right!
 
OMG you just described everyday here in the swamps. Driving I-10 is a lesson in how shitty people drive. Constant people in left lane doing 70.5 MPH trying to pass cars doing 70 in right and then they finally pass after 10 miles and don't move over, it's like there car only moves left and can't go back to the right.

Or the people who like to sit in big rig blind spots for miles on end.

Or the person who slows down when they get next to a car in the right and they match speed forever and then when they hit a clear spot someone can pass them they speed up to 90 catch up to the next car in the right and slow down to match speed again. Usually this person has there face down looking at their phone.

Lately I have had a couple of people I have passed have then for some inexplicable reason waited a few minutes then they get in the left, go like a bat our of hell and then ride my ass like I just didn't pass them 2 miles ago.
All it takes is one little SNAFU on the basin bridge and the 32 minute drive turns into 3.2 hours. I don't miss that.
 
I like the sign. Will it display in reverse? I'd like to put it on a sun visor and drop it down for the car ahead to read in their mirror.
Hah, i haven't used the app since I upgraded to my S25 Ultra. Just opened it, updated, and saw that that feature has been added.

But... i don't think it's big enough to be easily read through a mirror unless it's a very short message, scrolling pretty slowly.
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot_20250409_142929_CoolLED1248.jpg
    Screenshot_20250409_142929_CoolLED1248.jpg
    600.5 KB · Views: 7
Well, I'll shorten it from "Stop being an A-Hole and move over you freaking self entitled narcissist. DO you block people in the aisle at Safeway too?"

To: <--ƎVOM
 
When I drive, I’m generally in the fast lane and I’m the fastest on the road. But I’m always looking at my 6 so if anyone comes up behind me, car or bike, I always move over.
 
Well, I'll shorten it from "Stop being an A-Hole and move over you freaking self entitled narcissist. DO you block people in the aisle at Safeway too?"

To: <--ƎVOM
I move carts out of the way all the time at grocery stores and costco. The indignant look I get from about 1/4 of them makes it worth it. A few make passive aggressive comments under their breath... which brings me much joy, since I can then shed the passive part and say something along the lines of, "Oh, sorry, were you blocking (aisle) traffic on purpose? Here, let me help with that" and then proceed to also block the aisile with my cart... making sure theirs is blocked until I give up on finding that item i'm not actually looking for.

...I'm gonna get my ass kicked one day. But, till then, I'll gladly enjoy my catharsis 😅
 
Then there are the assholes who speed up to prevent you from getting back into the fast lane when approaching a slower vehicle after you've shown the courtesy of shifting over a lane when there aren't vehicles in the 2nd lane.

I just pull into the fast lane and fuck them, they can hit their brakes because they proved to be assholes. People are so clueless on the freeways.
 
Back
Top