• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Test Rode a Buell Rant

I test road that Buell, The dude told me the bike was torquey (how ever that is spelled) However i couldn't feel it. How does it compare with a Ducati/RC51/Tuno?
The bike felt like it was lacking. Can anyone describe the difference between that feeling?

Thanks

When I pay off my Mini, I'm picking up a XB12ss. I test rode one when they came out and loved it. Being that I'm 6'3" and 220+lbs I don't fit on the regular framed XB's and most japanese sport bikes.

Actually, what you are feeling is a "narrow powerband" (PEAKY), not really "torquey".

If the bike made 1/2 the torque but revved twice as much and had corresponding lower gearing, it would feel the same (except it would shreak instead of thunder).

Torquey is something like the Bandit 1250: making power from 2k to 10k, and a ton of it, all through the revv range.

Wannaduck said:
Why is it that HD's don't like working on them? Is it because it's not HD (the red-headed step child) or is it because working on it is difficult??

It's not a problem everyone... the HD dealership in Redwood City is Buell-friendly, Vallejo HD races Buells in AFM, I used Ukiah HD and they were real good...

but at some of the more yuppie-poser-iffic HD dealerships Buell owners have been met with the "get that Jap crap out of here" attitude.

As far as working on the bikes, they really couldn't be simpler. It's basically a Sportster mill, anybody who grew up on a farm could rebuild the engine with nothing more than a blade tip screwdriver, a crescent wrench and a ball peen hammer.

Here is another suggestion for you, if I could afford it now this is what I would buy...

3123720-ktm_950_supermoto.jpg

I'm not familiar with the Buell Rant. Is that a new model for '07? :laughing

rljetsetradio said:
Im suprised chess hasn't chimed in yet.

i'm surprised sidewalk hasn't piped up yet

xgambit said:
bah :hand i discourage people from buying buells. i tell them to get the same cookie cutter bike as everyone else. i dont wanna start showing up to meets like im riding an sv650, you know, the bike that everyone and their mom has.

but ya...buells sucks, leak oil, have bad handling, and blow up after 100 miles of riding. everyone beware. get an sv650 instead.

seriously, i'd never trust a buell to haul my ass from here to las vegas the long way... i SWEAR not even one little part of me regrets SELLING my 2001 x1, quirks and all.

the motor is a little disappointing, but as long as you understand it isn't an inline 4 it's lots of fun.

May be they should hire Porsche to design a downsized version of the V-rod engine for the Buell.

I test rode the Uly at the bike show. It's a fun bike, but I don't know that I'd want one. The steering geometry is REALLY REALLY different. The front end is twitchy like a 125 GP bike. It's not unstable per say, but you can feel every mm of trail that isn't there. When you combine that with the oddly revvy tractor motor the whole package feels a little skitzoid. Standard ergos, 125 steering, and a Harley motor, it left me wondering if I'd ridden it or imagined it.

So when it came time for a bike I got the FZ1. I. Love. It. I wish the milage was better (36-38mpg) but the motor is great, the ergos perfect, it carries luggage well (look at SW-Motech) and without the luggage is as good as a sportbike for anything you can do on the road. There are a million choises out there in do it all daily riders, but I love the one I went with for sure.

hm.... i am really curious about that FZ1 now. i am going to do some research on it and try to find one to sit on and see how i like the ergos. It seems to be what i need! too bad only 06+ models are fuel injected!

Wow! the black FZ1 with fullfairings is nice!

Teddy said:
Uhhhh...not really....you just need to go to a Buell Dealer. We love working on Buells.
want to check one out?....PM me.

+1 for Cycle Center of Fremont (I'm guessing that's where you work). I bought my first bike ever, a used Buell Blast, from there last August and have had absolutely nothing but positive experiences ordering accessories, asking stupid questions and receiving unsolicited good suggestions on how to upgrade my Blast. I never, never, never felt like a second class citizen and everyone that I talked to there about Buells was enthusiastic about them.

Jennifer

There was some guy on a Buell really railing at Infineon last week, in the Carousel I was like "holy shit that bike is fast" then he opened the throttle and I was like "holy shit that bike is slow." :laughing

Those who say Buells arent reliable are almost always referring to previous models than the XB line. The XB line of Buells is a whole new ball game.

They are great bikes for people who can appreciate a bike made to ride on the street. The motor is something you either like or don't. The chassis and other parts of the bike are pure genius. It's no coincidence that the big 4 are starting to use underseat exhausts more often.

scalvert said:
I test rode the Uly at the bike show. It's a fun bike, but I don't know that I'd want one. The steering geometry is REALLY REALLY different. The front end is twitchy like a 125 GP bike. It's not unstable per say, but you can feel every mm of trail that isn't there. When you combine that with the oddly revvy tractor motor the whole package feels a little skitzoid. Standard ergos, 125 steering, and a Harley motor, it left me wondering if I'd ridden it or imagined it.

So when it came time for a bike I got the FZ1. I. Love. It. I wish the milage was better (36-38mpg) but the motor is great, the ergos perfect, it carries luggage well (look at SW-Motech) and without the luggage is as good as a sportbike for anything you can do on the road. There are a million choises out there in do it all daily riders, but I love the one I went with for sure.

I've ridden a Uly, and I think your characterization is spot-on. And, holy crap, is it ever a tight squeeze just to get the plugs out. If it weren't for the hydraulic lifters, you'd probably have to drop the engine for every little thing in the top end.

Still, quirky but intriguing. Too expensive for me to consider.

All bikes are not the same. I love all my bikes. When i ride on the street i always choose the buell. Really easy and cheap to maintain. Ted and the people at cycle center are the best. but maintaining the xb is really simple that I do all the maintenance myself.

I still have yet to go test ride the xb12x heh. which is funny b/c i live in fremont. I would go drop by today but its raining today =(

Aren't KTMs mostly for dirt? dualsports right? same with the V-strom. i thought dualsports are terrible for freeway riding. And i dunno i feel that hte V-strom is way too hideous. I'm also looking for a "bigger" bike since i feel like a damn clown on my r6 hah...

I think maye the FZ1 might be the best choice for me! i still need to find one to check out - do they let u sit on them at the stealerships? I know yamaha probably doesnt allow test drives. That kind of sucks because i hear there is some twitchy throttle issues. also curious about how the pillions are on the 06+. I'll probably end up buying a pillion with detachable backrest though.

is there a yamaha dealer in the east bay in fremont?

maybe... i should jsut get a busa and be done with it. i realy need to wint he lottery or something.

EbolaMonkey said:

I think maye the FZ1 might be the best choice for me! i still need to find one to check out - do they let u sit on them at the stealerships? I know yamaha probably doesnt allow test drives. That kind of sucks because i hear there is some twitchy throttle issues. also curious about how the pillions are on the 06+.

Yes they let you sit on them at the dealerships, but no test ride.

The throttle response issue has been resolved for the 07 models. You can fix the 06 models with an FCE mod from Ivan's.

Check out http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/index.shtml for more information and actual owner opinions.

EbolaMonkey said:

Aren't KTMs mostly for dirt? dualsports right? same with the V-strom. i thought dualsports are terrible for freeway riding. And i dunno i feel that hte V-strom is way too hideous. I'm also looking for a "bigger" bike since i feel like a damn clown on my r6 hah...

a: The WeeStrom 650 is a FANTASTIC freeway bike. Its an offroad-bike in looks only. You want to be able to credibly call it a "road" (Dirt road counts, but ROAD, of course, someone is going to post the obligatory massive-wilderness 'Strom photos, but if you want to do that style of riding, the GS bimmer or KTM are much better), but it is great on the road.

I've ridden the GF's one down to San Diego and back, almost completely droning away on the superslab.

The Ulysseus is actually the same way. It LOOKS like a giant dirtbike, but it is really a big comfortable streetbike.

b: MOST KTMs are primarily dirt, but the Adventure is designed for road and offroad, and the SuperDuke is a pure streetbike.

Back