• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

The BOOK Thread

adam Ill have to admit, ive never read the book, and only just saw the freakin movie like a month ago lol as I am a huge fan or narration and its effect ion film. I loved the film. but Ihavent read the book yet.

is it tld in first person like the films narraotor?

Yes, The film does a good job of approximating things and I really enjoyed it.
It's so goddamn quotable.
The book on the other hand is not something anyone can truly "enjoy" unless they have some issues.
There's definitely moments where reading in public makes you look over your shoulder to make sure no one can see the page. And because with books you inevitably develop an attachment to characters, you feel almost shamed, as if by reading and knowing about it you're somehow complicit in the crimes:laughing

Not something I recommend to everyone but give it a try. No other book has caused me to feel as much. That's certainly true.

Last edited:
Guilty pleasure reading from the last few weeks:

The Lost Symbol - Dan Brown: fun, I like his goofy twists on history's "mysteries"

The Wind in the Keyhole - Stephen King: a good Dark Tower story that takes place between two of the established books

Currently re-reading Big Sid's Vincati - Matthew biberman: a true-life father/son story about motorcycles, growing up, growing together, family, life and mortality. I know, I'm making it sound all mushy(it's NOT), but I really, REALLY enjoy the story.

I'm planning on reading The Longest Ride - Emilio Scotto: Argentinian guy buys a Goldwing and takes off to ride around the world. Lots of pictures, but a GREAT true story.

"Let's Pretend this Never Happned"; great book

Hey Beauregard,

1. John Grisham's legal thrillers are very addictive. He wrote oh so many books many of which have been made into movies.

2. Dan Brown is an excellent writer. I tremendously enjoyed 3 of his works: "Angels & Demons" (A&D), "The Da Vinci Code" (DVC) and "The Lost Symbol" (LS). His newest book just came out a few months ago, I have yet to read it. Now, all three A&D, DVC and LS are independent of each other although they are sequential in the sense that the main character goes through A&D, then DVC and LS -- in time. I read DVC first, when there was this big brouhaha about it a few years back, then I read A&D before the movie was made and just read LS last. He also wrote "Deception Point" which I did NOT like and one more book "Digital Fortress" which I haven't read.

3. I just read a couple (or 3 books) of James Rollins' and very much enjoy his style. I read "Map of Bones" and just finished "The Last Oracle". Forgot which one is the 3rd I read of his. NOTE: They are chronological in a progressive timeline although each book is independent of each other. You DO want to read them in sequence for logical flow of things anyhow. Oh, just remembered: the 3rd book I read was "Indiana Jones, the Crystal Skull" the book version he was commissioned to write for the 4th installment of the Indiana Jones movies.

4. Somebody suggested the Harry Potter books >> I got hooked into HP books AFTER watching the first movie. Got started reading them. Eventually got caught up before the last movies were made and couldn't wait until they would be released! Very very enjoyable reads !! J.K. Rowlings is an incredible writer! Didn't read her recently published book written for adult yet. Heard it's good. Also just heard that her latest work written under a pseudo name is also good!!

** Now I personally read "Les Miserables", "Le Compte de Monte Cristo" or "Les Trois Mousquetaires" or "Autour du Monde en 80 jours" etc in French but I'd say the translated into English versions should do if you're not fluent enough en francais !! One of my favorites from my high school days in Paris is "Les Fleurs du Mal" of the poet Charles Beaudelaire. I know, I know, it's a poem & it got some prose too. But it's cool and very enjoyable.

*** What else? So many other great authors out there. Poe: Edgar Allan Poe. Bram Stoker's "Dracula", of course!

Classics? Roy Bradbury's "Farrenheit 451" << You'd love this one !!!! St. Exupery's "Le Petit Prince" >> "The Little Prince" is another of my favs.

I'll throw more names at you at a later time!!! Enjoy!

Just finished Into Thin Air. It's about an Everest expedition that went very bad. A great book. What they go through on that journey is astounding.

thats a great book. highly recomended. the way hes able to make you feel physically tired through description is great. I remember having a bodily response to that book

great writer in general

Just finished The Art of Fielding. It was really good. Highly recommended.

James Rollins' "The Doomsday Key"

Just finished this book, 'The Doomsday Key'. Enjoyed & recommend it! Personally, I prefer the pocket book version best but found this when searching for a picture:

http://www.freeebooks4uall.net/2013/02/the-doomsday-key-sigma-force-no-6-james.html

A question to James Rollins BARF fans: Does anyone know the chronological order of James Rollins' Sigma Force Grayson Pierce series?

I know that 'Map of Bones' is one of the first books, then there is at least one that I didn't read, then 'The Last Oracle', then 'The Doomsday Key'

Just started 'Blood Line'. Have not read 'The Judas Strain' and 'The Devil's Colony' yet but they are all of the Sigma Force series as well.

Of course each book is stand alone but for me, it'd be nicer & more logical to follow the sequence in order.

Attachments

• 14_english_the_doomsday_key_pb0.jpg
    14_english_the_doomsday_key_pb0.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Recently bought a kindle paperwhite to sort of force myself to get back into reading. It seems to be working.

Decided to start with some light summer reading.
So far I've read a number of books but the two standouts have been The Fort by Aric Davis

and Fiend by Peter Stenson

I'm currently reading Anderson Prunty's Fuckness which I'm also enjoying.

Crime and Punishment.

Barnes and Noble had a special edition hard cover and I couldn't help but pick it up.

Just finished Into Thin Air. It's about an Everest expedition that went very bad. A great book. What they go through on that journey is astounding.

Yes, I've read it too. Incredible true story.

I've also seen the movie - twice. Very well done adaptation.

hello, I'm not much of a reader, but I do audiobooks whenever I can:
Dan brown series - can't stop once you started.

Dan Brown Inferno - great book, can't say anything bad about it.

World War Z= awesome voice actors and the journal type was very different take on it, but it all played out as a string of events.

I am Legend - I liked this book a lot even though it was very different from the movie (which I loved). The character in it was much more "real" and had more depth.

things i wish i knew before i got married - such a good read that I made my gf listen to it. I highly recommend it as it opened my eyes on the different views/types of love and better communication.

Ready Player One -just started, something about 80's and video games. totally geek'ing out on it so far!

Back