• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

The BOOK Thread

I just ordered:

The Art of War
Book of Five Rings
How to Win Friends and Influence People

I got them from textbookme.com for like $9 shipped, used. :D

Per this thread, they are apparently required reading to become a man.

Reading Lone Survivor Navy Seal type stuff. Just started it.

Edit: just finished very sad but inspiring book.

I liked American Sniper better.

There were things in Lone Survivor that made me go why didn't he do this, or he could have done this type of things. Maybe on two times is book made me feel like that

Last edited:
so I dont normally throw stuff like this out there and try to make a big deal cause it feels like cheap self pluging, but since its a book thread I thought I would just throw out there that recently I wrote a little novella for fun. I self published it on kindle, so if you feel like wasting 99 cents (woohoo I get 30 cents for each one lol) give it a shot :cool

ive gotten a lot of really great response so far, and 5 pretty good reviews on my amazon page. I also made some fun art for it :)

anyway, you can find it below, its called "Oblivion"

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C8CZGRK

heres my little blurb for it

Artist, writer, traveler (and unrepentant misanthrope, womanizer, hypocrite) Francois Soriano is suffering from creator’s block. Disillusioned with the modern world and unable to create (also possibly bored), Francois begins a series of journal entries, chronicling his thoughts as he wades through a world he feels increasingly disconnected from. What begins as a darkly comic and off the cuff commentary becomes an uncensored confession and self-analysis as Francois explores the relationship between the artist and his creations.

and of the five reviews Ive gotten, heres one I thought was cool

This story combines refreshingly frank sexuality and utter narcissistic sociopathy in a way I could not help but associate with Chuck Palahniuk or even Henry Miller. However, rather than wallow in self loathing as Chuck does, this story is more of a celebratory romp through misanthropy that flirts with madness. There's also a level of self aware pretentiousness that reminded me of Youth in Revolt that was completely perfect for the main character and his sense of humor. It is a fun and thought provoking read I would recommend to anyone.

"...to depict the conduct of a human being in the stratosphere of ideas, that is, in the grip of delirium."
-Henry Miller

I have a feeling Henry and Francois would have gotten along famously. Or hated each other completely. Whatever.

anyway, feel free to ignore me also :laughing but just thought I would throw it out there

so I dont normally throw stuff like this out there and try to make a big deal cause it feels like cheap self pluging, but since its a book thread I thought I would just throw out there that recently I wrote a little novella for fun. I self published it on kindle, so if you feel like wasting 99 cents (woohoo I get 30 cents for each one lol) give it a shot :cool

ive gotten a lot of really great response so far, and 5 pretty good reviews on my amazon page. I also made some fun art for it :)

anyway, you can find it below, its called "Oblivion"

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C8CZGRK

heres my little blurb for it

and of the five reviews Ive gotten, heres one I thought was cool

anyway, feel free to ignore me also :laughing but just thought I would throw it out there

Self promotion fer yer book is absolutely cool. When we get a shitload of barfers publishinng and advertising here we we deal with it.

Do share the flap summary. One shameless pluge is ok. Two even, if you actually wrote a fuckin book...

Presently reading Under The Black Flag by David Cordingly. Its a gathering of all the historical accounts of Pirates to determine what of the myths we share about them are accurate, and what are not.

interesting read, but if I'm honest, there haven't been too many surprises. Biggest ones so far were that most pirates lived a destitute life, though it was often favorable to being on a merchant ship, where life was worse. They also were extremely regimented, and pretty down with homosexuality.

About halfway through Telegraph Avenue right now. A bit of a slow read, but good.

Attachments

• 10756240.jpg
    10756240.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 58
Lone Survivor

Just finished the book, very sad, but inspiring book.

I liked American Sniper better. Don't get me wrong both are good.

There were three things in Lone Survivor that made me go why didn't he do this, or he could have done this type of things. These are the only three things in the book made me feel like that. Otherwise if they did any of these three they all would've been alive, who knows, shit happens.

I need another book. Any recommendations.

Would anyone be interested in doing a book swap meet? :nerd
I'm in Oakland. We should also bring books we are reading, so we can expand our possible next book ideas...?
I don't mean GIVING our precious's away, just borrowing or seeing what may be of interest and out of our normal diet.

Would anyone be interested in doing a book swap meet? :nerd
I'm in Oakland. We should also bring books we are reading, so we can expand our possible next book ideas...?
I don't mean GIVING our precious's away, just borrowing or seeing what may be of interest and out of our normal diet.

I always bring every book I've ever read everywhere I go. :nerd

Attachments

• Kindle_Paperwhite_35438287_35437744_35438313_35438312_02_620x433.jpg
    Kindle_Paperwhite_35438287_35437744_35438313_35438312_02_620x433.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 74
I JUST bought one! Still have not downloaded anything yet, as I had just got a shipment of used pbacks pre-purchase :banana

I JUST bought one!

Welcome to the club! :cool

The ereader is a game-changer, just like the ipod was for music. No more hauling a ton of books on vacation, paying $25 for shitty airport paperbacks because you finished everything on the flight in. Plus, there are a TON of free classics, monthly/daily deals on ebooks, and a robust file-sharing community. ;)

And, to stay on topic, I'm currently reading Collum McCann's brand new book, TransAtlantic. This is only the second book of his I've read (after the thoroughly amazing Let the Great World Spin), but he's quickly becoming one of my favorite authors.

Attachments

• 16085517.jpg
    16085517.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 54
Man, I NEED one of these.

EDIT: Which is the proper one to buy for best reading in all conditions? TIA.

I have a Kindle Paperwhite, and I'm very happy with it. Prior to that I had a Kindle Keyboard with a lighted case. I loved that one as well, but the built-in Paperwhite illumination is FAR superior to an external light, and much less obtrusive if you read in bed and don't want to keep your partner awake all night. The Paperwhite in its case is also about half the size and heft of my old Kindle/case, and I generally carry it with me at all times.

I really like the look and feel of the Nook Simpletouch with Glowlight, but I found the screen contrast really terrible. I miss the physical buttons from my old Kindle—I preferred them to tapping the screen to advance on the Paperwhite—and the Nook has a cool rubberized feel and real buttons. Unfortunately, like I said, the nook contrast is really, really bad IMHO.

SPOILER ALERT!!! american-psycho-bret-easton-ellis

Can we talk about this:

american-psycho-bret-easton-ellis-paperback-cover-art.jpg

So I read this while highly medicated a while back,on things not so different from the narrator. Which means my account maybe just as unreliable as him.:laughing

I enjoyed this book as much as I guess it can be enjoyed... I certainly put it down more than a few times (as im sure most had to)which may have broken up my understanding of some of the subtleties.
Here are some my questions for those who read it.

Does Ellis intend for Bateman's intense hatred of (male) homosexuals to imply that Patrick is in fact himself an (aware or otherwise) self loathing gay man and searching for his sexual fulfillment in increasingly disturbing and macabre fetishes?
Ellis often mentions the personal nature of writing this particular book and authors no doubt invest and identify parts of themselves in their characters. So it stands to reason that he intentionaly included those chapters as a medeum to express what he feared he could become had he remained disassociated from his sexuality.
For me it could also explain Patrick's manic quest to "Fit in" to a lifestyle he obviously cant draw joy from or understand .

If not, I can't understand his motivation for the murders. They're intrinsically tied to sex and his hatred of women.

Feel free to tell me I am completely wrong but please say why.

Last edited:
adam Ill have to admit, ive never read the book, and only just saw the freakin movie like a month ago lol as I am a huge fan or narration and its effect ion film. I loved the film. but Ihavent read the book yet.

is it tld in first person like the films narraotor?

Back