• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

The BOOK Thread

Currently reading these two books

http://www.amazon.com/Stumbling-Hap...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1280780218&sr=1-1
stumbling-on-happiness.png

http://www.amazon.com/Art-Strategy-...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1280780248&sr=1-1
aoscover.jpg

It hasn't been mentioned (that I've seen), but if you haven't read The Lord of the Rings (and The Hobbit), you should consider putting them near the top of your list.

I just ordered The Hero with a Thousand Faces by Joseph Campbell.

Seems it was a really influential book.

Joseph Campbell came up when I was talking with a coworker about what to see in France. Apparently the most spiritual place for Joe Campbell was a 13th century cathedral that is about 80km outside of Paris.

Has anybody read it? Is it any good?

Currently reading these two books
Stumbling on Happiness...
I read that a couple of years ago and found it exceptionally good. The idea is that what we think will make us happy often doesn't. And how we find can find deep happiness even in situations where we would have predicted misery. It isn't some philosophical musing on how humans should be, but the result of research into how people really do feel after big changes in their lives.

Patient Zero and The Dragon Factory, Joe Ledger Series by Jonathan Maberry

An incredibly awesome series so far, glad I picked them up on a whim when I was riding through Palo Alto and decided to spend a couple minutes at Borders.

Patient Zero revolves around a Terrorist sleeper cell that's created the zombie plague that's already done preliminary testing in Afghanistan and working towards releasing it in America.

Dragon Factory revolves around Nazi clones, new men, ethnic cleansing and a bunch of neat little sub plots that come together nicely.

Patient Zero and The Dragon Factory, Joe Ledger Series by Jonathan Maberry

An incredibly awesome series so far, glad I picked them up on a whim when I was riding through Palo Alto and decided to spend a couple minutes at Borders.

Patient Zero revolves around a Terrorist sleeper cell that's created the zombie plague that's already done preliminary testing in Afghanistan and working towards releasing it in America.

Dragon Factory revolves around Nazi clones, new men, ethnic cleansing and a bunch of neat little sub plots that come together nicely.

That had to be some of the best pulp I've read. I especially liked his Beretta 92fs that had 21-round mags... and was chambered in 45acp.

But seriously, even with the obvious lack of technical attention to details, they were both really fun 1-day reads. Great for traveling.

re: Hero with a Thousand Faces

Kind of a difficult read, not really engaging.

+bazzilion. I can't get through it. Almost as bad as War and Peace (which I've gone 100 pages in and put down 3 times already)

I recently read this series: Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child's Pendergast series. Pretty entertaining read.

http://www.prestonchild.com/books/

I second these. I started with Cabinet of Curiosities and made my way through to the last one.
I also read other stuff like Vince Flynn and Marcinko books. I like any of these "stone cold killer operator" books.

Beau, my ex used to read all those James Patterson novels, not just the ones he actually wrote, :laughing
I think it was "Fourth of July" where the chick was in Half Moon Bay or someplace like that and she was on the beach about to be attacked.
Good thing she "had one in the magazine and two in the chamber" of her Glock.
I wonder if she removed the safety?:rofl
It's when they do this stuff in the military novels that drives me nuts.

Oh, speaking of Patterson. There is a book by him (maybe him?) called The Jester which is historical fiction from the 15th century, I think. Very uncharacteristically a good read from him. I re-read it recently.

Subscribed. Great thread - thanks for bumping it up. I've added a couple to my queue based on some of the recommendations.

I'll throw Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand in as my recommendation if you're a military history buff.

I've just updated my list with 8 books I'd like to get to as soon as possible, and some begin a series, so I have a phenomenal reading list for a while. Thanks all for the recommendations. Might it be possible to add the new thread into this one to keep all this information in one place?

Might also be good to move this to the non-moto activities forum so its both searchable and won't get buried if it doesn't get updated for a day or two.

Hey Beau,

Any objections to this ?

Might also be good to move this to the non-moto activities forum so its both searchable and won't get buried if it doesn't get updated for a day or two.

Any recommendations for SciFi books. Something in style similar to Peter F. Hamilton or Chris Moriarty writing.

I've been taking a whackadoodle sci-fi class, in fact. Nothing by the guys you've mentioned, though. More like stuff by Samuel Delaney and Octavia Butler. Occasional stuff by folks like Ursula K. LeGuin (daughter of the prominent California anthropologist Alfred Kroeber). Fun, twisted shit, including descriptions of things like, say, the finer points of interspecies alien/human cruising.

Back