• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

The BOOK Thread

1 book i read in hs that i really got into and read again recently is, Tim O'Brien's The Things They Carried

each chapter explains a unique character in Alpha Company. Through out book things add up. Author who is a Vietnam Vet Protagonist remembers his past and gives details of his memories of his service in Vietnam into meaning, very detailed.

everyone should read it if you haven't already in hs :laughing
:thumbup

Attachments

• 1-.jpg
    1-.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 93
^^^^ is that the one where one of the characters brings his GF to Vietnam and she goes all rambo and goes into the jungle and never seen again? I remember they did a movie as well..i think that it...i really enjoyed that book too, one of the few i actually read back then :laughing

A lot of my favorites have been mentioned already.

I'll chime in with a few opinions, though.

Wheel of Time > Sword of Truth

Tom Robbins > Kinky Friedman

Palahniuk > Moore

Vonnegut > Palahniuk

Cormac McCarthy writes with stunning style. Tom Robbins and Chuck Palahniuk are masters of metaphors. Shogun is a fun read. David Eggers is hilarious. Where the Red Fern Grows will still make you cry. Shakespeare is damn fine reading. The Divine Comedy is worth your time. Les Chants de Maldoror is full of great one-liners (may not be everyone's cuppo' but I liked it).

I'll come back to this thread when I have time for pleasure reading again.

Almost all Heinlein.

Orson Scott Card.

A. E. vanVogt (Slan and Weaponshops of Isher)

Huxley

George Bernard Shaw

Shakespeare

Chaucer

Homer

Roger Zelazny, esp the early Amber series and his separate novels (Roadmarks is :applause)

Larry Niven with or without Jerry Pournelle

David Drake for military fun ('Marching through Georgia' has NOTHING to do with Atlanta or Augusta... :laughing)

Modesitt has both hard & soft fiction (Recluse and the Singer series are soft, everything else is hard & good (but then hard & good go together very well.... :rofl)

David Weber & Eric Flint (1632 is very good, not great, subsequent are ok), March Upcountry and subsequent are very good to great.

Can't stand Asimov or Robert Jordan (so many plot holes it's funny)

Last edited:
If you're into sci-fi this is one of the best evar:thumbup

Very good read. Another good one is Night Dawn Trillogy by Peter F. Hamilton: Reality Dysfunction, Neutronium alchemist, Naked God.

Currently I am reading: Blond Bombshell. Kind of Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy type of humor.

Currently reading The Given Day by Dennis Lehane (author of Mystic River and Shutter Island). Post-WW I Boston Irish cops, coloreds, Bolsheviks, anarchists, and Babe Ruth, along with prototypical unions and the influenza epidemic. It's fantastic.

Is this list fiction-only? I still like Fooled by Randomness by Nassim Taleb. I think most people could benefit by realizing how they and other people deal mistakenly with uncertainty.

Currently reading The Given Day by Dennis Lehane (author of Mystic River and Shutter Island). Post-WW I Boston Irish cops, coloreds, Bolsheviks, anarchists, and Babe Ruth, along with prototypical unions and the influenza epidemic. It's fantastic.

I'm just starting on the same book too.

Read most if not all of Lehane's books. I think he's a very good writer.
Really enjoyed the Patrick Kenzie, Angela Genarro series (Gone baby Gone). Wish he'd write more novels about them both.

I'm just starting on the same book too.

Read most if not all of Lehane's books. I think he's a very good writer.
It takes its time in the beginning and then really starts building up and you can see he's going to eventually make paths meet. Never read anything else of his but I've seen the movies. I'd like to see a movie version of this, sort of Gangs of New York-like.

Speaking of which I have Larsson's "The Girl Who..." books ready and waiting. Not gonna see the movies first!

Just finished this one. Good TEOTWAWKI read:

The Passage sounds really good, but can you tell me if has a happy ending, I don't like sad books :(

Dunno how to answer that without spoiling you or anybody else really. :laughing

Does the kid get abused or eaten, can you tell me that much? I really don't like sad books! They depress me :( You can PM me if you think that it might spoil it for someone :laughing

Does the kid get abused or eaten, can you tell me that much? I really don't like sad books! They depress me :( You can PM me if you think that it might spoil it for someone :laughing

So I'm guessing you wouldnt want to read "A child called It" ? I started to read it a long time ago but it was making me angry so I stopped

So I'm guessing you wouldnt want to read "A child called It" ? I started to read it a long time ago but it was making me angry so I stopped

Wouldn't even look at it :laughing I can't do sad books or books about kids that are abused. I can't see how people can read that stuff. Books should make you happy, real life can be depressing in itself :laughing

Back