• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

The Retire and Relocate Thread™

Somewhere up in the hills, where it's a bit cooler, would be great...

Actually...he does live on a volcano :laughing

It really is nice weather there. Also almost no mosquitos. Lots of beetles though.

If you have to live in Arizona, Prescott is a great choice.

You’re the second person in the last two days to suggest Prescott.

I Zillow-ed today and prices seem reasonable.

Then I Expedia-ed and discovered about $425 RT so I may spend a weekend there and explore. I understand the weather is cooler there than, say, “Scorch-dale.”

For you folks thinking of retiring, access to medical care will play a bigger part in your life the older you get.

+1

Based on family medical history, I need to live near stroke urgent care. Should be fun times. Nice meeting everyone.

Too lazy to google but some states are less taxing on pensions. I think South Dakota is one of those states. But too cold and underpopulated for me.

We need an XLS for all 50 states showing sales and propert taxes, income tax and tax on pensions.

My wife and I relocated to UT a year ago. She was a CA native and I moved from IN to the Bay Area in '78 and spent 44 yrs in the tech industry. I was offered a generous buyout and retired Jan 2020. We had been looking at CO as retirement but then the summer of 2020 CO burned as bad as CA. We'd had a vac home in Arnold for nearly 20yrs and I always had the fear of possible fire. We have an adult child in living in Layton UT who has Asperger's so life is very hard for her. Supporting her independent living from 800 miles away was not sustainable so we sold the Arnold house in May 2021, lined up our cash finances and started looking in UT. If I'd had my druthers I would have preferred to live in an area north of St George to about Cedar City to avoid the worst of the heat. But it was deemed too far away. We were fortunate to find a home in the berg of Uintah. 1500-2000 folks. Feels like the country. Stores and such are about 5 miles away. 2/3's of an acre, single story 2100 sqft (perfect for us), large 3 car garage for the two vehicles and lots of room for my bikes and room to piddle. Bonus is a detached 900sqft insulated shop that I've since added a mini-split to, to heat and cool. It's becoming a wood shop. We have a pool too.

We move towards the end of Sept and I turned the SJ house over to the realtor. I bought it in '88 and it sold the 1st weekend w/ 11 offers all over the asking price.

Medical care is abundant, sales tax about the same as CA, property taxes are about 1/4 of CA or less. Politics, well, it is what it is. The local folks have been friendly. The past winter was mild. Snow blower was only used twice. We only has 2 days here temps were single digits. Otherwise about 20's at night and 30's-40's during the day. Works for me. July was a scorcher but August was tolerable and now we have an unexpected heat wave but weather is all over the map these days no matter where you live.

I miss my friends from the Bay Area and the weather a bit but that's about it. We have no regrets leaving and love where we've ended up.

Sorry if the reply was a bit verbose.

Gary

Last edited:
Wouldn't miss CA at all.

There are some things I miss. But having served in the military and getting to see the rest of the world outside of California made me realize there are far more things to enjoy in this world than what California offers. I also simply got tired of the rat-race of trying to get out of life what I wanted without having to work myself to death in order to do it.

Too lazy to google but some states are less taxing on pensions. I think South Dakota is one of those states. But too cold and underpopulated for me.

We need an XLS for all 50 states showing sales and propert taxes, income tax and tax on pensions.

Tennessee, where we live now, is also one of those states. I've still got quite a ways to go to retirement, but I've been hearing from many of my new neighbors that one of the bigger reasons they came here, from a financial standpoint, was the lack of income and property taxes. Couldn't say about estate taxes though.

Not since 1896, 126 years ago.

Just because it's illegal and the church itself banned it doesn't mean it's not happening. There's still plenty of evidence that polygamy exists today.

Hey bay area people, stay where you are. You've ruined a nice place now live with it! All the places you think are better will take years to get rid of all them pesky guns and trucks...:teeth

:laughing

We moved to the foothills. Its a nightmare...

:rofl Pretty much why other states don’t like Californians. Be considerate and adopt the local politics! :twofinger

:rofl Pretty much why other states don’t like Californians. Be considerate and adopt the local politics! :twofinger

There are three other families on my street alone that have moved here from California in the last five years. No one gives them shit for it and all three of them are blue just like we are. At least, I haven't seen anyone doing it and they certainly haven't been doing it to us. Although, I'm not wearing my political affiliation on my sleeve and there's not a single Trump of Fuck Biden flag anywhere within sightline of my front door. Sure, that shit exists here, but as with anywhere else, you get to choose your neighborhood. Both my nextdoor neighbors are clearly Republican, but they're not so fanatical that they need to fly a stupid Fuck Biden or Trump flag on their house. Civility is something I haven't had the pleasure of living around in some time.

Last edited:
My wife and I relocated to UT a year ago. She was a CA native and I moved from IN to the Bay Area in '78 and spent 44 yrs in the tech industry. I was offered a generous buyout and retired Jan 2020. We had been looking at CO as retirement but then the summer of 2020 CO burned as bad as CA. We'd had a vac home in Arnold for nearly 20yrs and I always had the fear of possible fire. We have an adult child in living in Layton UT who has Asperger's so life is very hard for her. Supporting her independent living from 800 miles away was not sustainable so we sold the Arnold house in May 2021, lined up our cash finances and started looking in UT. If I'd had my druthers I would have preferred to live in an area north of St George to about Cedar City to avoid the worst of the heat. But it was deemed too far away. We were fortunate to find a home in the berg of Uintah. 1500-2000 folks. Feels like the country. Stores and such are about 5 miles away. 2/3's of an acre, single story 2100 sqft (perfect for us), large 3 car garage for the two vehicles and lots of room for my bikes and room to piddle. Bonus is a detached 900sqft insulated shop that I've since added a mini-split to, to heat and cool. It's becoming a wood shop. We have a pool too.

We move towards the end of Sept and I turned the SJ house over to the realtor. I bought it in '88 and it sold the 1st weekend w/ 11 offers all over the asking price.

Medical care is abundant, sales tax about the same as CA, property taxes are about 1/4 of CA or less. Politics, well, it is what it is. The local folks have been friendly. The past winter was mild. Snow blower was only used twice. We only has 2 days here temps were single digits. Otherwise about 20's at night and 30's-40's during the day. Works for me. July was a scorcher but August was tolerable and now we have an unexpected heat wave but weather is all over the map these days no matter where you live.

I miss my friends from the Bay Area and the weather a bit but that's about it. We have no regrets leaving and love where we've ended up.

Sorry if the reply was a bit verbose.

Gary

Not verbose. Thanks. Zillowing your berg.

Having just passed through and spent time in both SLC and Denver this summer, I wholeheartedly disagree. No way never.

SLC: smog, sprawl and odd LDS undercurrent everywhere
Denver: sprawl, traffic, sprawl, traffic
Had a cousin who lived in SLC for 3 years, that was all he could take of the LDS. They were welcoming the first year, then had expectations the second year, by the 3rd year they started making life hard for him when he didn't convert. He said that plenty of people get that kind of pressure, he left after 3 years, tired of the shit.

My Grandmother in Caldwell, Idaho was complaining about Californians in 1968.

"Junior Bonner" was filmed in Prescott, Az. It stars Steve McQueen as an aging rodeo star. Fun Flick. Directed by Sam Pekinpah, one of his no violence movies.

I'll prolly move from Marin to Sonoma County someplace. It'll cut my commute for good roads for bicycling and motorcycling.

Mrs Abacinator and I are considering Kauai if retirement is ever on the table. We dig the chill vibe.

I love the Bay Area but I'm running out of patience for all the issues that come with its growing population. Never in a million years would I consider moving to a place like Texas or Idaho.

Why you no like meth brain?? Kauai would be cool, but literally a half million dollars for a quarter acre of land with nothing on it.

I’d consider climate change and not be looking to move anywhere that’s running out of water

That's a big one for us. We like water, so we're going to live somewhere that has it.

There are some things I miss. But having served in the military and getting to see the rest of the world outside of California made me realize there are far more things to enjoy in this world than what California offers. I also simply got tired of the rat-race of trying to get out of life what I wanted without having to work myself to death in order to do it.

:thumbup

Prescott Valley is lovely.

Your higher than the heat of Phoenix, lower than the cold of Flagstaff, and you're off the mesa that hides the Grand Canyon, so I'm pretty sure there's actually water there.

You're not that far from Phoenix. You're quite close to Sedona, so you can get your Chakras tuned once a week.

Oh, and Gunsite is there if you're into that sort of thing.

I like the ocean. :dunno

Like Tom Petty said, "California's been good to me..." :thumbup

yeah, i'm with you on that. and did you notice that most/all the people that say they are so glad to have left California are people that we are also glad left California :party

Back