• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

The Retire and Relocate Thread™

Seems Idaho is a nightmare if you’re not white, religious, or conservative. Beautiful place, briefly thought about buying property out there myself when I spent a couple of weeks there a few years ago, but seems the nuts run the farm. Wannabe has a great story of wanting to buy property there only to find out the area was gonna be the capital of the KKK resurgence.

My understanding is you will be fine in Boise, just don't go out into the sticks, kind of like Washington.

yeah, i'm with you on that. and did you notice that most/all the people that say they are so glad to have left California are people that we are also glad left California :party

Maybe 15% at most. :dunno

But speak for yourself. :twofinger

My friend bought a condo in Porto. Had to hire a lawyer, learn the language, obtain some “card” and is working on further documentation.

He technically didn't "have" to hire a real state lawyer, but it's smart to do so when you're an outsider of any country and are unfamiliar with the process.

I don't think you ever need to learn Portuguese on the retirement visa. It's only if you want permanent residence, or citizenship, which they have one of the best/easiest paths to in all first world nations. Even their golden visa is pretty affordable, especially if you're willing to live rural and inland.

His nazi card is needed for setting up a tax account with the gov't so he can pay property taxes. They don't just write "Rick's Stuff" on a manila folder and call it good.

Depending on one's overall health I think there is a period of time after retirement where the person is still active and able to live in a smaller town, but at some point age and infirmity take over so it becomes important to live near good medical care as doctor visits become more frequent. Good medical care is usually found in larger metropolitan areas, which can mean another move.
As others have said - good medical care is an important consideration.

Kinda off topic here, but Kaiser sucks and would recommend changing plans whenever you can. Kaiser's entire model is to do whatever is cheapest to make you go away. They will happily let you die to save a buck - one thing that really stuck out in my mind was when my mom went to their ER with chest tightness and the nurses happily let her sit in triage for several hours without giving her an EKG. Chronic conditions, forget about it, they will give you the shittiest care ever and hope you just learn to live with it.

GF is a nurse, she hates Kaiser and moved her parents to Stanford. My parents are also moving to Stanford.

I have been with Kaiser for forty plus years, and my experience has been quite different. When I went to the doctor with a lump in my throat, 25 years ago, I was instantly sent to head and neck surgery, diagnosed with cancer, and operated on within a week. They did an ablation that corrected my heart rhythm. They operated on my neck two years ago, a seven hour, $700k operation that fused five vertebrae and pretty much fixed crippling nerve pain.

I'm friends with both my ENT surgeon and my spinal surgeon, both great guys. I have had so many good Kaiser experiences I have lost track.

My experience with Kaiser is that if you're going there looking for sympathy or an antibiotic for the flu, you won't get either. Every time I have had a procedure I have been amazed at the care and consideration shown me.

Depending on one's overall health I think there is a period of time after retirement where the person is still active and able to live in a smaller town, but at some point age and infirmity take over so it becomes important to live near good medical care as doctor visits become more frequent. Good medical care is usually found in larger metropolitan areas, which can mean another move.

For sure. Definitely research quality of care/access/affordability or whatever else is of concern to you. The US is pretty bad when it comes to affordability.

Also research quality of life. This one is fun because you can adjust the weight of various factors. Crank up the first one and watch the US drop from 23rd to 33rd. The only one that really bumps it up is "popularity". :laughing

https://www.worlddata.info/quality-of-life.php

Health care in your older years also brings up a valid question: are you willing to give up riding motorcycles altogether if that means much less risk of injury? I probably will and take up a hobby that doesn't involve hurling my creaking body around at ludicrous speeds.

Astronomy is probably a safe bet. :p

The key to Arizona is altitude, 3 K is Cottonwood, 4 K is Sedona, 5 K is Prescott, 7 K is Flagstaff. Snow collects @ 3 K. Limited water above the rim.

My best spot is Verde Valley, after 18 years of rolling around.

Last edited:
Seems Idaho is a nightmare if you’re not white, religious, or conservative. Beautiful place, briefly thought about buying property out there myself when I spent a couple of weeks there a few years ago, but seems the nuts run the farm. Wannabe has a great story of wanting to buy property there only to find out the area was gonna be the capital of the KKK resurgence.

[YOUTUBE]pDWaa3NshyM[YOUTUBE]

The only time my biracial stepdaughter has experienced direct, overt racism was the ONE TIME she went to visit her friend who had recently moved to Star, ID.

how about Payson AZ? Rode my sv650 through there in 05 and thought the roads around it were pretty decent.

And at some point...one might likely lose the ability to drive.

Is there a plan to get places? Public tranist? Walking? Or just social isolation?

My mom is losing the ability to drive. There is *nowhere* within walking distance of her. She's refusing most alternatives that have been put forth.

My mom is losing the ability to drive. There is *nowhere* within walking distance of her. She's refusing most alternatives that have been put forth.
My mother went through that from about age 90 to 95. My sister lived a few miles away and could take her to the store. We also hired someone to come in a few days a week to help around the house and to help her do any shopping that she needed.

I'm not walking distance from any stores, and I expect my current house to be the last one. It's mostly one level and if I ever get to the point of not being able to go up and down stairs, I can just ignore the "bonus room upstairs" that our house has.

Unless you are totally poor, there are ways to get around once you reach the point of not being able to drive.

The key to Arizona is altitude, 3 K is Cottonwood, 4 K is Sedona, 5 K is Prescott, 7 K is Flagstaff. Snow collects @ 3 K. Limited water above the rim.

My best spot is Verde Valley, after 18 years of rolling around.
You could always move on from sportbikes and ride a bike the forces you to slow down and smell the roses you're passing. One advantage is that they're much bigger so other vehicles see you. :twofinger :afm199

My mother went through that from about age 90 to 95. My sister lived a few miles away and could take her to the store. We also hired someone to come in a few days a week to help around the house and to help her do any shopping that she needed.

I'm not walking distance from any stores, and I expect my current house to be the last one. It's mostly one level and if I ever get to the point of not being able to go up and down stairs, I can just ignore the "bonus room upstairs" that our house has.

Unless you are totally poor, there are ways to get around once you reach the point of not being able to drive.

She refuses to be driven by anyone else or let strangers come to her house.

I can't say I blame her-it's not like taking advantage of the elderly isn't a thing in the US.

If I can, I'd like to stay in SF, not really planning on actual retirement but it'd sure be nice to shed the corporate gig at some point and be able to afford to take a job that might pay less but interest me more. If I had to leave SF I'd stay close, maybe Guerneville since you still have a little bit of action downtown for food and drink not to mention all the great roads up north, and it's still only an hour or so from SF

Health care in your older years also brings up a valid question: are you willing to give up riding motorcycles altogether if that means much less risk of injury? I probably will and take up a hobby that doesn't involve hurling my creaking body around at ludicrous speeds.

Astronomy is probably a safe bet. :p

You certainly don't have to worry about slowing down in your old age. No wait necessary :twofinger

She refuses to be driven by anyone else or let strangers come to her house.

I can't say I blame her-it's not like taking advantage of the elderly isn't a thing in the US.
Yeah, it has been a $50+ Billion/year industry for decades.

It's really shameful that the government has never really done anything about it, almost every asshole who scams or rips of the elderly gets away with it. :thumbdown

[YOUTUBE]pDWaa3NshyM[/YOUTUBE]

My Wife and I are always looking for good retirement spots whenever we travel. Several years ago we visited her old Boss, who moved from Cupertino to Coeur d’Alene, ID. They love it there, but I learned that the area was the birthplace of the John Birch Society, and has a huge KKK chapter (or whatever they call it), and it also has more White Nationalist per square inch than almost anywhere in the US. F that place.

I am torn because moving is a headache, my home is paid off, plus I am 10 minutes away from Stanford Medical Center. I really would like to have a home on 1 or 2 acres, since we are both dog nuts.

It would be cool to find a cooler location, with low property taxes, but I don't want to move to some place only to discover that I should have stayed in the SF Bay Area.

We have been looking at Oregon and Washington State.

Back