• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

The sailing nerd-out thread

Fuck. Didn't realize they switched to this 75ft sailing hydrofoil monohulls for this year's America's Cup.

H5NA5INCBBGDLIT5GG5NBQ5XNA.jpg

AmericasCup36AC50vsAC75.jpg

picture.php

With something less than 24 hours until the first solo sailor finishes the Vendée Globe off Les Sables d'Olonne Wednesday night, even the most advanced modern weather routing programmes operated by some of the finest minds in ocean racing cannot seem to agree who the winner of a truly epic ninth edition of the non-stop solo round the world race will be.

The margin of victory looks set to be down to tiny minutes after 80 days and 24,350 miles of racing.

:party

anyone else watching The Ocean Race? five (four right now) 60-foot IMOCA Class sailboats racing around the world for "The Ocean Race Trophy."

guess they are 1/3 of the way through leg 3, from South Africa to the east coast of South America through the roaring 40s:

[YOUTUBE]EPpx73iU0bU[/YOUTUBE]

the 11th Hour Racing Team is the entry from the USA. :flag

Last edited:
You ought to hear what it sounds like inside of you ne of those things!

subscribed!
I have a pal that was on some team. I got to go to some parties. That and we live in the center of the universe. One of my favorite BARF quotes is "do you know who i am?"...

anyhow, awesome stuff. Sailing shit rocks almost as good motorcycles.

Hey, racing is racing. Period. Put any competitor who races or competes, even the ones in the bottom 25% of the lineup, up against anyone else in the sport, and the competitors will spank everyone else.

And that's what's cool about racing. Boats, planes, drones, bicycles - don't much matter what it is.

As I'm fond of saying, the difference between a track day and racing is the difference between deer hunting and combat. :party

You ought to hear what it sounds like inside of you ne of those things!

think I could stand it for about five minutes. :facepalm:laughing

subscribed!
anyhow, awesome stuff. Sailing shit rocks almost as good motorcycles.

:thumbup

And that's what's cool about racing. Boats, planes, drones, bicycles - don't much matter what it is.

here's the other sailboat race I've been following, recently:

Golden Globe Race
The ‘RETRO’ non-stop solo around the world saiboat race:

"Depart on September 4th, 2022 and sail solo, non-stop around the world, via the five Great Capes.

"Competitors must sail in production boats between 32ft and 36ft overall (9.75 – 10.97m) designed prior to 1988 that have a full-length keel with rudder attached to their trailing edge.

"Navigating with sextant on paper charts, and without electronic instruments or autopilots. They will hand-write their logs and determine the weather for themselves. Sailors entered in this race will spend around 250 days at sea in little boats, challenging themselves and each other.

"In contrast to the current professional world of elite ocean racing, this edition travels back to a time known as the ‘Golden Age’ of solo sailing."​

[YOUTUBE]eoV96LHy9ew[/YOUTUBE]

the sailors have been racing for 192 days, and the current leader, Ms Kirsten Neuschäfer, has a good lead off the coast of South America, having consulted the 200 year-old weather routing charts from Ocean Passages of the World, to help her make route decisions.

anyway, there's vintage sailboat racing for us. where's my sextant? :toothless

Last edited:
so there seems to be some race on the bay this weekend with cats that go 60
https://www.7x7.com/sailgp-final-san-francisco-2659902062.html

:thumbup

drone stuff from last year's SailGP:

[YOUTUBE]CDYr14_8tO8[/YOUTUBE]

"The F50 is a one-design foiling catamaran used in the SailGP race series. The F50s are adapted from the AC50s used in the America's Cup. The F50s are one of the fastest racing classes in history--the current F50 speed record stands at 53.96 knots (99.94 km/h, 62.10 mph)."

Last edited:
Ms Cole Brauer is my new solo-nonstop-around-the-world sailboat racing hero … :hail

Alone on the Ocean, With 400,000 Friends
“As Cole Brauer speeds to the finish of a solo race around the world, she is using Instagram to blow up sailing’s elitist image.”
NTYs.com, by Chris Museler, Feb. 29, 2024 (gift link, 7 min read)

tl/dr:
“In 2022, Ms. Brauer had tried out for another competition, the Ocean Race, which is considered the pinnacle of professional ocean racing.

“Sailors in that race are highly trained, wear matching foul weather gear and have corporate sponsors. And most of them are men.

“Ms. Brauer, who had sailed thousands of miles on high performance ocean racing boats, felt she was ready to join their ranks.

“But after competing in trials in France, Ms. Brauer was told she was “too short for the Southern Ocean” and was sent on her way.

In spite of her small stature — she stands 5 feet 1 inch — Ms. Brauer rounded Cape Horn, Chile, on Jan. 26, the last of the three great capes of her journey to finish the Global Solo Challenge.

“It is a feat most of the Ocean Race sailors picked instead of her have never even attempted.”

picture.php

picture.php

‘First Light’ is a 2008 Class40, she was formerly owned by Michael Hennessy and formally named Dragon.

Last edited:
how do you sleep on such a journey? i know there are auto pilots available for the right price* that would let one have a break, but i also have heard you're not supposed to leave the helm untended even with automated controls

*or more traditional methods with mechanical feedback mechanisms and such.

Sleep 2 hours with eyes open, up for 4

^^the voice of experience! :thumbup:laughing

I just love the romance of these solo-nonstop-around-the-world sailboat races, but gotta admit, I'd probably only be good for a half-hour. :facepalm

think Ms Brauer has been at sea for 147 days ...

Last edited:
^^:thumbup

these AC75 racing sailboats are simply spectacular, and they've actually managed to synthesize my interest in bicycles. :laughing

This is nine minutes of fun. Go team USA!:

Can barely see the crews... how long since that has been the way?? Hell.. they are wearing what look like flying helmets.

You can tell I have not paid attention in a while. :teeth

Back