• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

The sailing nerd-out thread

^^:thumbup

this is an interesting ten minute vid, that talks about how the grinders role has recently transitioned in the AC75 to cycling and rowers:

this is the racing sailboat that won the 2024 Arkea Ultim Challenge back in late February—the first ever solo multihull race around the world, sailed in giant 32m long ULTIM class trimarans:

French solo racer Mr Charles Caudrelier, skipper of the Maxi Edmond de Rothschild …

Charles Caudrelier’s victory in figures:
Race time: 50 days 19 hours 7 min 42 sec
Miles traveled: 28,938.03 miles
Actual average speed: 23.74 knots

Last edited:
Here is an interesting story about Two Brothers sailing in the artic.
1724716612245.png

Pretty friggin nuts in my book! :wow

Just found this thread. After 40 years of sailing other people's boats, cruising the Med as our go-to vacation, I decided it was time to pour my own money into another bottomless pit and bought a little 24ft Trimaran 2 years ago. It folds up and tows well behind our Transit - while managing to make it look small lol.

Much fun has been had and I'm expecting much more to come.

First launch cropped.jpg
20221001_140400.jpg

20221020_103248.jpg

Had one of those parked in my driveway for a few months. Very space efficient.
The neighbors were hosting Florian Schulz just after he published _To The Arctic_ and sailing it around up there.
I was asking everyone "How you like muh new boat?"
Got a signed copy of the photo book.

I'll play.
My best friend and I just picked this up.
It's a 1976 Kiwi 30.
It was built in San Diego for off-shore racing.
We're gonna sink a few paychecks into her and race the Plastic Classic Regatta.

Attachments

• Flying Kiwi.jpg
    Flying Kiwi.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 15
a friend trid to give me his O'Day 24 that was in a side tie at Coyote Point. We went for a sail on the bay for a couple hours and decided this was too much work. Motorcycles and mtn bikes are so much better. Like i need a another bad habit.

image of galley slaves pedaling triremes across the Mediterranean

So much to share.
Grew up on the water...plus I'm a Pisces.
Been to every lake in California...Nevada...Arizona...Utah
Been to every island off the coast of Cali...well...to the ones you can legally visit.

Family started with a 16 foot Cobia...look it up.
Many boats after.
Last one we had was a New Zealand 37 sloop...there were only 7 built...a beautiful, fast, well-built piece of nautical art.
Loaded with lots of Kauri wood...look that up, too...here's a synopsis...
"Kauri are among the world's mightiest trees, growing to over 50 m tall, with trunk girths up to 16 m, and living for over 2,000 years."
I guess it's like New Zealand's redwoods, but better.

First thing I'd suggest...learn port from starboard. Easy way...left has 4 letters...port has 4 letters...left equals port. Right is starboard.
Aft and stern...front and back...respectively.
And learn a few knots...and how to tie a boat to a cleat.

Best of luck...and hopefully you're already a good swimmer.

:teeth

Back