• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

The sailing nerd-out thread

:thumbup

great day to be an arm-chair Covid-lock-down sailing nerd. following the Trophée Jules-Verne and the Sodebo Ultim 3 as they catch up with the Vendée Globe fleet:

[YOUTUBE]br9dRlsrLQI[/YOUTUBE]

Trophée Jules-Verne tracker

The rules for the Jules Verne Trophy are simple – it is for the fastest time around the world by any type of yacht with no restrictions on the size of the crew, starting and finishing from the exact line between the Le Créac’h Lighthouse off the tip of Brittany and the Lizard Point in Cornwall.

It was first won in 1993, with all nine winners as either catamarans or trimarans.

The current challenge is to beat the record time of 40 days 23 hours 30 minutes and 30 seconds set by Francis Joyon and crew on the 31.5m IDEC Sport in 2017.

Jules Verne: Speed race begins
Published on December 5th, 2020

(December 5; Day 11) – As expected by the routing cell, Sodebo Ultim 3 have managed to position itself ahead of a low shifting eastward, began a long edge last night that will take it to Kerguelen.

This morning, Thomas Coville and his seven crew are averaging 34 knots, which allowed them to extend their lead on the Idec Sport chart, by over 400 nm.

“From this evening, the speed race begins,” noted weather expert Jean-Luc Nélias.

:party

Well, this sucks.

Just found out that a friend's Westsail 32 was totaled out. Tropical storm hit NC back in August and the surge carried the boat up the intracoastal waterway. Deposited it into some marshlands where it survived and was actually was in very good shape. But something went wrong during the salvage operation and the boat was destroyed in the process.

This one hurts. This boat was my introduction to ocean sailing and I was lucky enough to spend many nights out at sea on her. Not the fastest thing (6.5kts was about her best), but she was stout and safe - like a nice set of worn in leathers - and built to see the world. (And had! She'd transited the Panama canal at least once, to my knowledge...)

I'll miss her.

:rose

1OsV74w.jpg

they don't call em wetsnails fer nothing. sorry a good boat went down.

sorry a good boat went down.

^^This^^
Your story bummed me out and I have no connection to the boat.
I can imagine how you feel.
Such a shame, especially after riding out the storm that put her in jeopardy in the first place.

"... are averaging 34 knots...

We've been passed by boats in the SF Bay on foils, soaring rather than sailing. Impressive.

But 34 knots averaged over any period of time beyond a few minutes is staggering. Gee, I could get from Coyote Point to McCovey cove in ~30 minutes.

Not tomorrow, breezes less than ideal. Wash the boat day. :(

So this happened yesterday :teeth

i-Wx5gTNd-L.png

I guess it's official and really happening!

OceanChick

Bring a book! Enjoy the great blue ocean.

I used to sail my cousins Venture Cat, basically a Hobiecat knock off. Multihulls are just crazy fast. Flying the hull is a hoot.

Mad

Well.... appears I may have spoken too soon.

The Westsail was indeed 'damaged' during recovery. Turns out that the damage is fairly superficial... and we found the salvage auction. Best friend of mine (who also sailed on the boat) is looking at buying it off the salvage company for cheap.

There may yet be a happy ending to this story...

Bring a book! Enjoy the great blue ocean.

When we purchased our boat, had to stay in sales dock slip in Alameda for an extended stay to hammer out details and effect some repairs. Guy next to us was an experienced old salt that bought a boat he was outfitting for sailing back home to Oregon.

He related a story of his significant other reading a novel on her watch. He ascended the companion way steps looking aft, she saw his face and said,

"What?"

He pointed, she screeched, he switched off autopilot and maneuvered the sailboat out of the path of a huge container ship looming large to stern.

Had he not come topside...

Moral- Read a little, look a lot.

When we purchased our boat, had to stay in sales dock slip in Alameda for an extended stay to hammer out details and effect some repairs. Guy next to us was an experienced old salt that bought a boat he was outfitting for sailing back home to Oregon.

He related a story of his significant other reading a novel on her watch. He ascended the companion way steps looking aft, she saw his face and said,

"What?"

He pointed, she screeched, he switched off autopilot and maneuvered the sailboat out of the path of a huge container ship looming large to stern.

Had he not come topside...

Moral- Read a little, look a lot.

:laughing It never occurred to me to read a book while on watch, and this is why! There's other down time, though. I mean, a crew of 7 and there's what...4 tacks once you get out the Gate? :laughing I spotted a copy of Two Years Before The Mast at my father-in-law's house last week. That will be going with me if I don't read it beforehand :party

Well, this sucks.

Just found out that a friend's Westsail 32 was totaled out. Tropical storm hit NC back in August and the surge carried the boat up the intracoastal waterway. Deposited it into some marshlands where it survived and was actually was in very good shape. But something went wrong during the salvage operation and the boat was destroyed in the process.

This one hurts. This boat was my introduction to ocean sailing and I was lucky enough to spend many nights out at sea on her. Not the fastest thing (6.5kts was about her best), but she was stout and safe - like a nice set of worn in leathers - and built to see the world. (And had! She'd transited the Panama canal at least once, to my knowledge...)

I'll miss her.

:rose

1OsV74w.jpg

This makes me upset. I know during Katrina we were instructed to just clear the vessels out of the way by any means. Salvage doesn’t always have to be brutal. Have your friends check her mast step. Sometimes they torque the heck out of the keel, can’t remember if Westsails have bolts or if the keel is encapsulated.

Back in the day... my pal is a carbon fibre dude and was working on an America’s Cup team.

Back then, the boats were like 80 feet long, 100 feet tall and weighed 50K pounds.
The bulb at the end of the keel weighed 40K pounds.
One time they modified the keel. The bulb broke off while practicing in New Zealand. Wham!

At least this is what I remember.

Last edited:
Mr Jeremie Beyou and CHARAL, filmed by the Chilean Army - 01/16/2021

[YOUTUBE]fq3b8b05dXQ[/YOUTUBE]

Mr Beyou is currently in 14th place in the 2020-21 Vendée Globe.

quite a race, recently ... :party

Thanks for that, John! :thumbup
Almost feels like a spa day watching it! When Eric sees it, though, his first reaction is “No f’ing way.” He is adamantly opposed to me sailing to Hawaii.
This man, whom I followed all over the country every 2 weeks so he could race his motorcycle, says it’s an unnecessary risk and way too dangerous...

RiskTakingMaritalPartnersChick

Thanks for that, John! :thumbup
Almost feels like a spa day watching it! When Eric sees it, though, his first reaction is “No f’ing way.” He is adamantly opposed to me sailing to Hawaii.
This man, whom I followed all over the country every 2 weeks so he could race his motorcycle, says it’s an unnecessary risk and way too dangerous...

RiskTakingMaritalPartnersChick

Isn't it always kind of that way.

Back