• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

TV Shows I am enjoying

Excited to see The Penguin premiere tomorrow on Max. Colin Farrell did a good job as that character in that last Batman movie, and was probably the best part of that movie.
I'm not watching anything involved with that stupid movie in the universe of stupid sparkly vampire boy that played Batman. That movie put me to sleep. Even when it was released on HBO Max, I gave it another try and I felt like I wanted my money back even though I didn't pay for it.

Same as I hated that first Joker film and will not be watching the sequel, even though I'm a huge Lady Gaga fanboy. Here's a good idea, let's make a movie delving into the backstory of the Joker and who he was before became the Joker. (sarcasm) Wait!!! We totally forgot that one of the main points of the Joker's character is that NO ONE KNOWS WHO HE IS, not even Batman. To go further, the Joker actually figured out who Batman is but he didn't care. His enemy is not Bruce Wayne. His enemy is Batman.... because he's a psychopath and that leverage of knowing Batman's identity isn't important.

[/rant]

Well that's one story line....

Berto, if you're referring to the Joker, don't go down this rabbit hole with me. I will if you want to but I'd prefer we not. What I said is factual. I don't care how well received that movie was. They ruined the Joker's persona.

If you're talking about the latest Batman movie and The Penguin, that's just a matter of opinion which is fine with me.

Killing Joke is the Joker for me, and I think Heath Ledger put the cherry on top.

I did not care for the Phoenix Joker movie either.

I have gotten into Shogun. I dig the historical Japanese culture and while I have to read the subtitles when Japanese is spoken there is plenty that takes place in English diquised as Portoguese. Good stuff.

I have gotten into Shogun. I dig the historical Japanese culture and while I have to read the subtitles when Japanese is spoken there is plenty that takes place in English diquised as Portoguese. Good stuff.
Still need to watch that. Every one of my friends that have watched said nothing but good things about it.

I'm a big fan of the original from the 80s.

Also I'm a huge fan of Hiroyuki Sanada but I remember when the show was released, I was thinking BRO YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE IN EVERY MOVIE OR TV SHOW ABOUT JAPAN. :laughing

Him and Ken Watanabe. It seems every time there's a movie/show based in Japan, it's one of those guys.

Both great actors. Not meaning to take anything away from them at all.

https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2Fb0fbed64-2e39-4475-93d7-c153f48ae920_640x360.gif

Don't spoil it for me, I'm rereading Shogun, , ,:rolleyes
I don't think saying it is good or who is in it is spoiling much. :teeth

It is about ancient Japan

Berto, if you're referring to the Joker, don't go down this rabbit hole with me. I will if you want to but I'd prefer we not. What I said is factual. I don't care how well received that movie was. They ruined the Joker's persona.

If you're talking about the latest Batman movie and The Penguin, that's just a matter of opinion which is fine with me.

I don't have a particular Joker I prefer....more so, my comment was the fungible nature of comic book personalities. Seems like depending on who's doing the writing, the villains and heroes can almost blend into one another at times. I do prefer purity, but also like the real world melding of comic heroes and villains with our own reality. How would a villain like the Joker, outside the comics, come about and live in our world(s)? Fantasy stuff that's different from comic folklore. The Penguin with Colin is the same...

I see the current DC universe as a different interpretation than previous DC...which has had several horrible runs. Like you said: Twink batman was horrendous in so many ways as was the George Clooney ones. Awful. But to not be adversarial, I'm not a massive Joker follower in the comic world. So long as I'm entertained, I'm happy and the latest joker move has been interesting to say the least.

I don't have a particular Joker I prefer....more so, my comment was the fungible nature of comic book personalities. Seems like depending on who's doing the writing, the villains and heroes can almost blend into one another at times. I do prefer purity, but also like the real world melding of comic heroes and villains with our own reality. How would a villain like the Joker, outside the comics, come about and live in our world(s)? Fantasy stuff that's different from comic folklore. The Penguin with Colin is the same...

I see the current DC universe as a different interpretation than previous DC...which has had several horrible runs. Like you said: Twink batman was horrendous in so many ways as was the George Clooney ones. Awful. But to not be adversarial, I'm not a massive Joker follower in the comic world. So long as I'm entertained, I'm happy and the latest joker move has been interesting to say the least.
You're very right with your opinion about who is doing the writing for any given comic. Honestly, it's a peeve of mine when nerds talk about movies not being comic book accurate. I try not to get into these arguments anymore but when I see opinions like that, I'm thinking "WHICH COMIC ARE WE TALKING ABOUT?" Because depending on who's writing, different runs of comics are as different or more than what gets made into TV or movies. I know most people didn't care for Jered Leto's version, I didn't, but it's not too far off from a comic run where the Joker was more of a gangster instead of a balls to the wall anarchist.

That said, there are some things that are constant about any comic character. For the Joker, there's many interpretations of the character, yes, but one constant is his actual identity is unknown and not important. The closest description of who he was before he became the Joker was the Red Hood. Even then, no one knew who he was.

I love Joaquin Phoenix as an actor. I don't blame him for The Joker. It's a role he played. It wasn't a bad movie I just felt like... Call it something else. It's not like there's a shortage of movies about a psychotic maniac. I blame anyone that made that movie happen. That's a hill I'm willing to die on.

Is anyone caught up on season 2 of Rings of Power? I'm probably going to wait until the season is over and binge it but just curious.

Is anyone caught up on season 2 of Rings of Power? I'm probably going to wait until the season is over and binge it but just curious.
I'm enjoying it. About to watch the latest episode!

You're very right with your opinion about who is doing the writing for any given comic. Honestly, it's a peeve of mine when nerds talk about movies not being comic book accurate. I try not to get into these arguments anymore but when I see opinions like that, I'm thinking "WHICH COMIC ARE WE TALKING ABOUT?" Because depending on who's writing, different runs of comics are as different or more than what gets made into TV or movies. I know most people didn't care for Jered Leto's version, I didn't, but it's not too far off from a comic run where the Joker was more of a gangster instead of a balls to the wall anarchist.

That said, there are some things that are constant about any comic character. For the Joker, there's many interpretations of the character, yes, but one constant is his actual identity is unknown and not important. The closest description of who he was before he became the Joker was the Red Hood. Even then, no one knew who he was.

I love Joaquin Phoenix as an actor. I don't blame him for The Joker. It's a role he played. It wasn't a bad movie I just felt like... Call it something else. It's not like there's a shortage of movies about a psychotic maniac. I blame anyone that made that movie happen. That's a hill I'm willing to die on.

Solid post! Can't find anything but agreement.

Back