• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

What to use now that Photobucket is no longer hosting photos

meldog21

Retired USAF Pararescue
Moto(s)
'12 S1000, '99 R-1, another '99 R-1, '01 XR50r, 4 TTR 125's, Softail, Sportster, couple of Kaw Vulca
BARF perks
AMA Life Member #597331
So today I got an email from photobucket advising me that they no longer provide 3rd party hosting for free. Which means any photos you posted on barf via photobucket have disappeared from barf. You can still get 3rd party hosting from them for the small sum of $400 a year.

Now I (along with many others) will need to find another site to host and easily upload photos on barf or any other forums/blogs.

I googled and came up with several lists of potentials. I've looked over some of the info, but not all of it yet. I'd like to get some input and hopefully expert advice on which service barfers think is the best.

Here are some of the comparisons I looked at:

http://www.topbestalternatives.com/photobucket/

https://screenshot.net/sites-like-photobucket.html

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/comparing-the-best-ways-to-store-your-photos-online/

Dog

Last edited:
How many photos are there currently & what is the storage size? Might want to check Amazon S3 & Cloudfront prices.

+1 on imgur, it's what I mostly use.

not sure why ariacode thinks it requires payment, I never have...

+1 on imgur, it's what I mostly use.

not sure why ariacode thinks it requires payment, I never have...

if you bothered to read the link I sent you'd know why.

Commercial Usage
Your application is commercial if you're making any money with it (which includes in-app advertising), if you plan on making any money with it, or if it belongs to a commercial organization.

To use Imgur's API commercially, you must first register your application. Once that's done, you must register with Mashape. Mashape allows you to choose a pricing plan that fits your needs. From then on, the API endpoint is https://imgur-apiv3.p.mashape.com/ which must be used in place of https://api.imgur.com/. Additionally, you must set a X-Mashape-Key request header with the key obtained from Mashape.

The way I read that, that's for using it in your app. If BARF wanted to embed it, that would probably require payment.

If an individual wants to use it for hosting photos, that's a different scenario.

Hmmm, this is bad news. It seems like PB is phasing in this change since my Photobucket-hosted images still display in forums as of now. I just wonder if other hosting sites might be planning to go the same way. If so it seems there would be no point in changing sites until people can get some assurance their new site won't soon hold them up for $400 ransom. Right now all the online articles I've seen comparing photo sharing sites are outdated, and none mention the new Photobucket terms of use requiring a $400/yr. plan to allow third party hosting.

-Bill

Last edited:
Hmmm, this is bad news. It seems like PB is phasing in this change since my Photobucket-hosted images still display in forums as of now.
Photobucket photos haven't displayed for me for awhile, not even mine. Yeah I can see them if I use Firefox, but I use Chrome. I know they don't work with my adblocker. Not sure that they do without, but I don't remember and I'm not going to check. I'm OK with viewing embedded Photobucket hosted photos without an adblocker, but not with using Photobucket itself without some kind of protection.

It's past time for me to switch.

Photobucket photos haven't displayed for me for awhile, not even mine. Yeah I can see them if I use Firefox, but I use Chrome. I know they don't work with my adblocker. Not sure that they do without, but I don't remember and I'm not going to check. I'm OK with viewing embedded Photobucket hosted photos without an adblocker, but not with using Photobucket itself without some kind of protection.

It's past time for me to switch.
Yeah, they now require turning off adblock to view on their site, and even have popups - not just normal ads.

I thought that's what we're talking about - the attach photos feature. if not, then great.
This post isn't by the admins, it's by a member. BARF has no integrated photobucket, so I don't believe this has anything to do with the site itself.

imgur will let you upload via their web site or app and then img tag on whatever forum you want, free. It's only if you want it built into your site or app that you have to pay (as far as I can tell).

if you want a permanent online storage solution for pictures i suggest iCloud or Google Drive

if you want easy online storage for sharing pictures online i suggest www.imgur.com

So today I got an email from photobucket advising me that they no longer provide 3rd party hosting for free. Which means any photos you posted on barf via photobucket have disappeared from barf. You can still get 3rd party hosting from them for the small sum of $400 a year.
Mine still show up when I use Firefox, not when I use Chrome, though.

Here's a random photo (from Google Maps) from my account (for the Firefox users):
Calaveras.jpg

Looks like time to get a new image hosting service. :(

The ads that pop up all over the place on Photobucket are getting really annoying lately. They're not getting any cash from me. :thumbdown

If you just want a place to host picture that you can embed in posts (vs epic 4K x 4K masterpieces that people click on), tinypic.com will do it, and you don't even have to register. They'll host something suitable for a forum post.

If you just want a place to host picture that you can embed in posts (vs epic 4K x 4K masterpieces that people click on), tinypic.com will do it, and you don't even have to register. They'll host something suitable for a forum post.
The first line of their Terms of Service:
Photobucket, Inc. ("TinyPic" or "we") operates TinyPic.com (the "Site"), which...
How do you know it will stick around any longer than Photobucket, or be any different?

I'm on Chrome and I can see the picture Scott posted.

But, when I go back and look at my old posts using inline pictures hosted by Photobucket I get an image that says "3rd party hosting temporarily suspended". I have not received any email communication.

I have hated Photobucket for a while now, their website is absolute dog shit. But I have been using it for so long, the thought of switching was daunting. I would rather put my dick in a vice than give Photobucket one red cent.

I use photobucket as well, and I've just gone through a bunch of old posts and the photos seem to show up fine? I do use their paid service, but I only pay like $20 a year (or something like that).

Back