• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

What to use now that Photobucket is no longer hosting photos

So I finally received an e-mail from Photobucket telling me that I've been using it for 3rd party hosting and to upgrade to whatever their non-free version is.

Then they started sending me regular spam messages about various great deals.

All I can say to Photobucket is :twofinger :rolleyes

I'll be using imgur.com from here on.

That is very cool. Wonder how long before PB figures out how to defeat this?

-Bill

Photobucket is THE SLOWEST image hosting site. I have problems with almost every upload making it through.

I use smugmug, not free but not $400 does videos too but dats what youtube is for

Last edited:
The thing is though a lot of foros have detailed tutorials, and what not that were all effectively disabled because PB got greedy. So it doesn't really help to say that another hoster is better, because unless you go and re-upload, and re-link all of those pages/links you still have to use PB. And even if you had all the spare time in the world to do such a task there are many foros that don't let you edit posts. Those pages can never be repaired.

It is very likely that they will figure out the hack eventually.

Yeah thats true that's what happened with a lot of my early ride reports I went from hosting my own images on Godaddy with Gallery 2.0 to SmugMug who will manage all my pictures for me. So my early ride reports no more pictures :(

Looks like maybe Photobucket is backing down a little bit. I just got this email:

Photobucket said:
Hello ,

We would like to offer a tailored plan for users just like you - our Premium plan for $99.99 / year.

The Premium plan will provide 3rd party hosting for non-commercial use on your forums, blogs, and personal websites*. Additionally, you will be able to store up to 300,000 photos.

We are working on some exciting changes for 2018. This is our exclusive introductory price and this offer will expire in 7 days.

$100 is definitely better than $400, but they are still shit and I wouldn't dream of giving them one red cent. I'm thinking they didn't sell nearly as many $400 plans as they thought when they decided to hold all our 3rd party linked images hostage.
Maybe when they also don't sell many $100 plans they will realize no one is paying them for what a bunch of other web sites do for free, and will just put it back how it was.

P.S. The Photobucket Hotlink Fix Chrome extension still works, in case you need to see the pictures in some thread somewhere. https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...alioapbifiaedg

Maybe when they also don't sell many $100 plans they will realize no one is paying them for what a bunch of other web sites do for free, and will just put it back how it was.
There is nothing at all that PhotoBucket can do to get me to come back. :x

When I need to use some photo that I have there - which is rare - I go there myself, download it, stick it on imgur and get on with life.

PhotoBucket :hand :twofinger :loser

Smugmug is better and cheaper.

There is nothing at all that PhotoBucket can do to get me to come back. :x

When I need to use some photo that I have there - which is rare - I go there myself, download it, stick it on imgur and get on with life.

PhotoBucket :hand :twofinger :loser

I wouldn't either. By 'put it back how it was' I just meant giving in and re-enabling the hosted 3rd party image links.

Smugmug is better and cheaper.

Why are you paying at all? There are plenty of sites that will host your photos for free.

Imgur.com for the past several years. Can't believe you old farts haven't heard of it. :twofinger

Back