• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

When should we stop riding? -- perspectives of an older rider

The gentleman that just bought my Triumph is 74. He's having a blast.

I was going to quit but now I'm looking at older RT's. I'm 60.

Stay off my lawn you youngsters.

At this time I am not riding and have not been on a bike for a long ride in the last 6 month's ,

the reason being the grandkids, haven't seen them in 2.5 years, they are in Indonesia but they are coming soon, when I found out they were coming back here I just wanted to be here for them.:)

Hell I even try not to drive these days, that being said I will sometimes take one of the bikes out to keep them in shape but low speed and just to my shop to do work on them.

Yea this year Bonneville will be in the car and not the bike.

At this time I am not riding and have not been on a bike for a long ride in the last 6 month's ,

the reason being the grandkids, haven't seen them in 2.5 years, they are in Indonesia but they are coming soon, when I found out they were coming back here I just wanted to be here for them.:)

Hell I even try not to drive these days, that being said I will sometimes take one of the bikes out to keep them in shape but low speed and just to my shop to do work on them.

Yea this year Bonneville will be in the car and not the bike.

I just had a great idea for a business, especially with how bad CA gas is. Motorcycle dog walker! Just PM me, and for a modest fee I will make sure the gas in the tank doesn't go bad, and the tires and engine get plenty of heat cycles. For an extra fee I'll even bike sit over the weekend, or even longer, especially if you have a nice farkled sport touring package. Will return without washing so you can tell they had fun.

Note to self: Update CV for when Tim expands the business and starts hiring

Also 59.

Went on a couple of hour ride the other day...first longish ride in a while.

My clutch hand started to hurt at the top part of my hand close to the wrist.

Hope that goes away with more riding.

Would suck if it got worse! :mad

You need to masturbate more often. Keeps your clutch hand in shape.

You need to masturbate more often. Keeps your clutch hand in shape.

For you guys, maybe! :twofinger

Haven't visited BARF in way too long. Interesting thread. I'm approaching one of those BIG birthdays, and though I haven't ridden anywhere NEAR as much as I've wanted to recently, I haven't had any feelings of needing to stop riding due to age (the arthritis just cusses at me when I'm finished riding.....I forget about it when I'm riding! :ride ).

Anyway, hopefully see some of you at Alice's/STP/Four Corners soon.

*Mental note to get squishy ball to exercise wrist.* Leave it alone, boyz. :twofinger

Love,
pandy

Haven't visited BARF in way too long. Interesting thread. I'm approaching one of those BIG birthdays, and though I haven't ridden anywhere NEAR as much as I've wanted to recently, I haven't had any feelings of needing to stop riding due to age (the arthritis just cusses at me when I'm finished riding.....I forget about it when I'm riding! :ride ).

*Mental note to get squishy ball to exercise wrist.* Leave it alone, boyz. :twofinger

Love,
pandy

:laughing:laughing

Hey, this is BARF, I would expect no less.

Stopped using my left hand on the mouse on my desktop and I think it's improved already.

Love,
pandy

I'm sure females can benefit from the same procedure.

Definitely is a personal choice and I think a big part of that is being able to give yourself a honest physical mental checklist. What am I actually capable of doing?

That being said we have a ton of older riders come in where I work, including a retired OPD lady who is riding this summer to Texas again (She is in her mid 70s). She says she has no plans to stop riding and will continue to do so until she isn't physically able to any longer, IE bed ridden I believe were her words.

Myself personally I have waffled on the topic quite a bit, especially with having 3 kids and a lot of other responsibilities. Rather than give it up though I ended up expanding my riding disciplines to include off-road and motocross this year. Trying new things is the spice of life!

I imagine myself giving it up when I no longer physically able to pick up my motorcycle if I end up dropping it...

I imagine myself giving it up when I no longer physically able to pick up my motorcycle if I end up dropping it...

That's when I'd buy the Ural sidecar rig I've always coveted!:thumbup

Fun at 65 mph or less! :laughing

uralcycle_review000_opt.jpg

(snip)

When that time comes for me, I'll still be riding.

What do you think riding buddies are for?

Back