• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

When should we stop riding? -- perspectives of an older rider

64 now but still riding "young". Gave up dirt last year, not athletic enough to enjoy challenges at Carnegie anymore. Still can tear it up with the best on a Street Fighter or Super Moto but now I'm contemplating what it'll be like in 10 years and I'm on a tear to make the most of the next decade before the inevitable happens.

While reflexes, flexibility and athleticism, and endurance is not what it used to be, there are some advantages to being an older motorcyclist. I can afford better bikes, better gear and better accommodations at ride's end. You get "smarter". And more selective of whom you ride with. You have more time to ride, so I'm off the grid when the herd is all out there. I prefer not to ride at night and I don't have "get-there-itis" anymore. I eat better & hydrate these days. And I choose to be "substance-free"...Partying these days takes longer to recover from!

Oh, yeah, HyperSports are no longer in my ergo range. No matter, an open triangle on a 'Fighter still affords me warp speeds to chase the tadpoles, but Grandpa can still drag an arthritic knee!

I'm 75, been riding for 60 years... And... That included "On any Sunday" Dirt/Mud, mountain trails, in the logging area's outside of Portland Ore., And desert racing outside of Bend Ore., And touring.... Longest time from home, living on the bike was, 4 1/2 months.

Mega miles of splitting lanes in the Bay Area.

When to quit? Have no answer.

Lou's my hero.

Mostly biased opinions on this topic. The Dead do not speak and Maimed usually don't follow these forums anymore.

^^^^^ Little bit more to it, than that....

Riders that have been at it for a half-a-century, know how to safely do it.

So... do you want to hear from them?

saw a 82 yr old riding a s1000rr at a keigwins event right when bmw debuted it

then surprisingly i saw him at like 3 other trackdays that year

he had yellow/blk leathers

cool guy, living the dream riding the most powerful litrebike in the world at the time

cool guy, living the dream riding the most powerful litrebike in the world at the time

Locke McCorkle. He's a great guy. I used to do the Sunday Morning ride with him back in the late eighties, and he is still riding. He's also an amazing guy for what he has done in his life.

everytime i thought i was losing interest in riding, i pick up a new kind of riding...

loving trails, desert , adventure riding now...

has a mix of street riding only to 'explore' new to me areas...

planning a riding to the sierras and down to vegas...

I was at the cross roads too a couple of months ago. But I am only 40 and my reasons are completely different.

I have been riding for almost 25 years now, on and off for the last few years. Mainly due to kids - daycare pickups and drop offs. I finally started commuting regularly again for a year as both my kids started going to school and no more daycare. I started going out on the weekend rides again earlier this year with a friend of mine. Recently lost him to a motorcycle accident (single vehicle) and witnessed what kind of impact it has on his family. I am still commuting on my bike, but my weekend joy rides are done. I don't know if I will be able to do them anytime in the near future. My wife doesn't say "NO" for my commute, but I can clearly see the fear in her eyes, when I touch my bike.

Coming to the physical condition being the cause of quitting riding, I can see my reflexes have slowed down a little in the last couple of years. i have also come to realize that it is not the speed that gives me the thrill, it is the ride that thrills me. Doesn't have to be canyon carving during the weekends, i am happy just being on the saddle. So as long as I think I can do it safely, I will be riding.

Now, the million $ question is - when will I realize that i cannot do it safely anymore.

to beavis- wow, 40?!?! you need to read the above posts. While my kids were growing up there would have been no chance to ride, no time, taking the kids to school required a car, activities, and the most important thing, spending time with them,a lot of time, the best time, and there was no room for even thinking of getting back to riding. My two regrets are one: not getting back to it as soon as the youngest left for college 4 years ago, but I waited until last year when eldest decided he was interested in it and we took the bay area riders school course together. The second regret was selling my sportster when I moved to the City in 1971, stupidly thinking a vw bug was more practical. On the other hand, who knows what would have happened then. Now it's all good, commuting every day on the 919, some city, some hills, some freeway, one Doc Wong Sunday (way cool, learned a lot) and thinking about a lazy ride up the coast next year.

Read the posts, 40? 40= young
---------------------
rubber down

His name is Loche and it was and is an HP4. I was lucky enough to meet him and his young group of riding buddies and had the honor of riding in the mountains with them every Sunday for a while. Until I bought a harley. All fast all great guys. All old enough to be my Gpa. Stop riding you say. Never I say

Yesterday;
Fuckin old people I tell ya...

Was out on the old like me (66) 998 just bee boppin around on my way to Harbor Freight to get some wonderful yet will fail after the second use because I have a 20% off coupon things.

Ima just doh dee doh mind wandering cruisin along on the freeway at 75 and here come some guys on modern tupperware torpedoes. They get ahead of me and start pickin it up so I hang.
As they see a challenge they turn it up a bit. We're rollin at no shit 150ish and I'm now in front, then my exit comes up and they follow. *Thank you very much baby jesus for no cops.

I'm in front on the slow down and they're on me as I do a nice stoppie at the bottom of the off ramp. The gas light was on so I pulled in to Sahib's a block away to gas up. They also pull in.

I take the helmet off revealing an old bald guy and they look at me with open mouths.

Yeah, this old turd will only go 164. Left an impression on them and they'll tell the story when they're my age.

Last edited:
I my not be a die hard like some here. but I am a life long rider.

the only thing that would keep me permintly off a Moto...is death.

now a bit of background.
mom hates bikes
when I was 21 bad accident (slow speed even). very very lucky to have kept my leg. lady just turned, bad couple years for me. 9 months before amp was shelved and was told i could keep my leg.
pre bucket law days, but I always had one on, good thing or my brains would have spilet on the ground.
even if I had lost the leg would have kept on riding.
many off rd dirt crashes. never broken a bone.

the feeling of out on a rd just getting into the grove and poof 200 + miles are gone. and all my troubles, problems, stress, and bp has dropped with no drugs.

give up bikes never, I own three right now, and I am 56.

Yea, for many years when my mom would see the bikes, I told her it was for investments and never rode them. :teeth

Riding and feeling better and brighter is pretty universal and why I love to see other riders enjoy riding. :ride

I my not be a die hard like some here. but I am a life long rider.

the only thing that would keep me permintly off a Moto...is death.

now a bit of background.
mom hates bikes
when I was 21 bad accident (slow speed even). very very lucky to have kept my leg. lady just turned, bad couple years for me. 9 months before amp was shelved and was told i could keep my leg.
pre bucket law days, but I always had one on, good thing or my brains would have spilet on the ground.
even if I had lost the leg would have kept on riding.
many off rd dirt crashes. never broken a bone.

the feeling of out on a rd just getting into the grove and poof 200 + miles are gone. and all my troubles, problems, stress, and bp has dropped with no drugs.

give up bikes never, I own three right now, and I am 56.

Last week, 69 1/2

Attachments

• GBMA7318.jpg
    GBMA7318.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 100
Back