• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Who's gone Solar

Not in one year, because they probably owe ten times that, but I'd bet it's part of some sort of amortization plan which turns into straight up delicious gravy at some point. Plus, there will obviously be more hikes along the way. In ten years they'll have those debts paid, power lines in super high risk areas underground, and a waaaaaay improved taxpayer funded fire fighting support for their occasional fuck ups. Oh and they have CPUC's nuts in their hands. So...they're on a path that's pretty good for them right now, as long as we all keep paying, one way or another. It's already widely subsidized for low earners. Electricity is trending towards being in this weird luxury necessity category.

Not in one year, because they probably owe ten times that, but I'd bet it's part of some sort of amortization plan which turns into straight up delicious gravy at some point. Plus, there will obviously be more hikes along the way. In ten years they'll have those debts paid, power lines in super high risk areas underground, and a waaaaaay improved taxpayer funded fire fighting support for their occasional fuck ups. Oh and they have CPUC's nuts in their hands. So...they're on a path that's pretty good for them right now, as long as we all keep paying, one way or another. It's already widely subsidized for low earners. Electricity is trending towards being in this weird luxury necessity category.

Is there anything we can do to just fire them?

I think I'd rather have the grid run by the state at this point. If not the state, maybe require a non profit to run it, and completely scrap the CPUC and replace them with the Howard Jarvis Ratepayer Association. Something has to be done. One can only keep poking the bear for so long until it reacts.

Getting an effective 17 percent return on our Solar investment from last August.

Woo hoo.

Average total PGE/Sonoma Clean Power bill is down $321/month through March and as we used electric wall heaters to reduce our very high gas bills for heat our therms/day have gone down by 0.8 therms/day to just 1.1 gas therms per day used.

Is there anything we can do to just fire them?

I think I'd rather have the grid run by the state at this point. If not the state, maybe require a non profit to run it, and completely scrap the CPUC and replace them with the Howard Jarvis Ratepayer Association. Something has to be done. One can only keep poking the bear for so long until it reacts.

Sorry Dave, I missed this. In fantasy land, everyone with PGE goes off-grid and they die overnight. Next would be that everyone with PGE stops paying them, but then they'd still have a chip to play. We can't win because we're too soft and lower income in particular have pretty much no options, though I think they legally can't turn off power to lower income. Businesses would end up getting screwed the most. People don't make tough choices until they have no choice.

Getting an effective 17 percent return on our Solar investment from last August.

Woo hoo.

Average total PGE/Sonoma Clean Power bill is down $321/month through March and as we used electric wall heaters to reduce our very high gas bills for heat our therms/day have gone down by 0.8 therms/day to just 1.1 gas therms per day used.

Thats with NEMS 3.0?

What was the configuration and what was your initial spend, if you don't mind sharing the math?

I only just saw this thread but 17% under NEMS 3.0 is really good.

Thats with NEMS 3.0?

What was the configuration and what was your initial spend, if you don't mind sharing the math?

I only just saw this thread but 17% under NEMS 3.0 is really good.

Nem 2; $23620 for a twenty panel system, each panel 400 watts.

For Nem 3 to work I'd need a battery with its $10,000 or so cost before any applicable rebates.

Things are getting to the point where Nem 3 installations make sense but the ROI wouldn't be as good but with ever rising prices the decision would look smarter every year moving forward.

I had never actively thought of getting a system until this BARF thread to be honest.

If I turned off my hot tub I'd be rakin in the bucks. I'm fuckin miserly. :laughing

If I turned off my hot tub I'd be rakin in the bucks. I'm fuckin miserly. :laughing

We saved a ton of money on electricity by getting rid of our 75 gallon fish tank with its canister pump and 150watt heating element and our 60 inch Plasma TV replaced with a far more efficient 65 inch OLED.

So in 10 days or so we are getting a medium sized standup freezer for the garage as our freezer in our refrigerator is jammed and its a PITA to find stuff in the bottom drawer freezer.

Should only use about one kwhr/day though so less than either the fish tank or old TV.

Nothing compared to a hot tub of course.

I need to swap this inflatable model out for a fixed unit, it'd save on heating costs for sure. Every time I think about unplugging it my back tells me I should keep it hot so I eat the money.

All kitchen appliances are 5 years old, washer and dryer might be a bit more than that but they're used so sparingly I really doubt spending money for more efficient units would really pan out.
I am looking at getting a dedicated freezer for the garage though.

I need to swap this inflatable model out for a fixed unit, it'd save on heating costs for sure. Every time I think about unplugging it my back tells me I should keep it hot so I eat the money.

All kitchen appliances are 5 years old, washer and dryer might be a bit more than that but they're used so sparingly I really doubt spending money for more efficient units would really pan out.
I am looking at getting a dedicated freezer for the garage though.

We got this one; great price and plenty of space but it is relatively compact.

Frost free which the cheaper ones aren't.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Frigidaire...y-Frost-free-Upright-Freezer-White/1002981578

My $1300 true up bill is making me really wanna look into replacing my 20ish year old panels with some that put out more power.

Can you post your usage and generation numbers?

Also, if you don't mind a little hoaky setup, you can buy two panels, small inverter, and a car battery, and basically run a standalone window a/c unit all day long.

Last edited:
Can you post your usage and generation numbers?

Also, if you don't mind a little hoaky setup, you can buy two panels, small inverter, and a car battery, and basically run a standalone window a/c unit all day long.

I think it was you that posted some links regarding this "Hoaky" set up. If you still have links can you share? Or maybe elaborate a little more on the setup? It's a long thread but if you tell me to look through it and find it myself, that 's fine too :teeth

Heck yeah, I love this stuff. First let me turn you on to Will Prowse's videos on the youtubes. He has products/info that is very useful to the DIY'er. https://www.youtube.com/@WillProwse/videos

And as always, the best money spent comes from reducing your usage, so either what window/portable unit do you have, or what is the smallest window/portable unit you can get away with, or what size space are you wanting to cool?

Pffft, irregardless of whether or not you've had your expresso this morning, it's hoaky,

Heck yeah, I love this stuff. First let me turn you on to Will Prowse's videos on the youtubes. He has products/info that is very useful to the DIY'er. https://www.youtube.com/@WillProwse/videos

And as always, the best money spent comes from reducing your usage, so either what window/portable unit do you have, or what is the smallest window/portable unit you can get away with, or what size space are you wanting to cool?

I want it for "Free" power but not for AC. We have an AC unit but I don't use it very much, I keep the house shut and try to keep it cool without using it. I would use it for anything I could to save energy in general and for emergency power (Charging phones, maybe keeping a fridge running??). I also just want to learn how to do it and see how it works.

Thanks for the link!!

And...

Hoe-key

If you wanted to spend, this setup will do a lot, fridge and window unit no problem, likely for a couple days or more without recharge. Battery is around $1200-$1400, all in one inverter/charge controller is around $600-$700, and solar panels are cheap on Craigslist. Then it's just little bits and bobs from Home Depot.

If you wanted to go lower specs and price, something like this, this, and this may be enough to run a fridge as long as the startup current from the compressor isn't too high. The battery may or may not be enough to run overnight, but you really don't need 24hr fridge operation to keep food cold. When the power is out here in the summer when it's in the 90's, we'll run the generator starting from around 10am-noon depending on how hot it's getting, to about 10pm, then it's off overnight. Something like ice cream would be soft, but not melt, and meat would still be frozen.

If you're flexible, you might let a good bargain guide you, like this looks like a deal. And if you wanted super budget, this charge controller is fine. Then maybe gamble on something like this. It's possible this performs just as well as the above, but for hardly any moneys.

Then you just need to find some solar panels on CL that fit within the max DC input of whatever charge controller is at the price point you like. Panels are pretty cheap and plentiful these days. Better to buy used on CL, because shipping generally makes low quantities not worth ordering new, though you may find some places like Home Depot that will ship to a local store for free.

But, just for learning, a small battery box for charging phones/laptops will teach you just as much as any of the above, this, this, and this.

I think maybe pick a ballpark price point of what seems interesting.

Wow, thank you!! Lots to look through. I'll be starting with the cheapest and see where it goes from there because I'm a cheapskate. Again, thank you for taking the time to share all of that. I've already watched some of the videos you shared from earlier, very cool :thumbup

Back