Why Test Rides aren't allowed

So then why is it that a test drive is pretty much expected / mandatory before buying a car .. yet when it comes to bike, the dealer is doing you a favor letting you come out and test on special days.

I think a lot of it is volume. Car dealers move enough cars with enough margin that the system has some allowance built in for demo units that will eventually be sold at a big discount.

I really feel bad for the kid and his mom.. I've crashed bikes (not like this and I know how I felt every time).
I am certain that messing up a bunch of new bikes wasn't his intent but shit happens.. :(

Looks like most of the people making fun of him here have never done dumb shit in their life..:thumbdown

He just happened to be caught on camera and posted on internet for posterity.

I really feel bad for the kid and his mom.. I've crashed bikes (not like this and I know how I felt every time).
I am certain that messing up a bunch of new bikes wasn't his intent but shit happens.. :(

Looks like most of the people making fun of him here have never done dumb shit in their life..:thumbdown

Dude, it's not like he tripped on a crack in the sidewalk. :|

I'd call it a pretty unique/epic pile up. Inexperience being the main contributor of the accident we have to give him shit. Especially so because I can just imagine it perfectly...

"No No No... It's all good." :teeth
"I've got this." :ride

The only thing is if he pays for all the damage, then he deserves no crap.

That's why I won't test ride bikes unless I am serious, because I don't want to have to pay if I fuck up.

There was a total noob down here a few years ago that went to the dealer looking to by a Hayabusa. The dealer talked him out of it so he bought a brand new 2011 GSXR750.

Guy launched the bike right out from under him in the parking lot.

A couple of years ago, Northbay Motorsports in Santa Rosa had a Honda & Kawasaki demo day. Some guy decided it was okay for that his girlfriend's 16yr daughter, with little to no experience should try out a brand new blue 2011 Ninja ZX-6R. He's thought was "it's only a 600cc bike. What can go wrong?!" I think she just got her license and passed the MSF course before hand or else they would not have let her on the bike.

Needless to say, she used all front break and wrecked it within blocks of the store. I think Northbay fought over it for months and I believe that was their last demo day.

The sad part is that with even a little bit of common sense this could be largely avoided and dealerships could still offer test rides to the majority of riders. A simple requirement like having a motorcycle license for at least a year, or be over a certain age, or full gear required or some other criteria to weed out the kids that just passed MSF 5 minutes ago. Somehow many non-Japanese brands manage to offer very generous demo ride programs without seeing piles of wadded up BMW's or Ducati's.

Why do we keep mentioning mommy? Kid is 19... mommy doesn't owe shit unless mommy wants to help baby boy. :dunno :laughing

But yeah, this is why most japanese dealerships don't allow demos. However, when you are known at a dealership, they usually will. :thumbup Yet another reason to support your local biddness!

The sad part is that with even a little bit of common sense this could be largely avoided and dealerships could still offer test rides to the majority of riders. A simple requirement like having a motorcycle license for at least a year, or be over a certain age, or full gear required or some other criteria to weed out the kids that just passed MSF 5 minutes ago. Somehow many non-Japanese brands manage to offer very generous demo ride programs without seeing piles of wadded up BMW's or Ducati's.

The difference there is that most people going the Euro route typically have more $ and are typically older and more mature. But then... I haven't seen any dealership demos on an 848 or 1198 unless you fill out the paperwork and have bought it first.

Thank you for posting this..........

Lots of people that want demo rides find it hard to understand how much a dealer really puts on the line to allow test-rides. Believe me, we want to believe you when you tell us about all the experience you have....we really have no way of knowing your skills...and this possibility is always on the horizon. Not to mention what a nightmare it is to deal with despite any disclaimers you may sign....

I've probably seen 10-15 bikes crashed or totalled on demo rides in the 15 years I have been slinging bikes.....doesn't sound like a lot (less that one a year), but then when you consider that you deal with the aftermath for another year after the drop with the usual finger pointing and court visits......what a nightmare:facepalm

So serious question Teddy. If someone (like me) was seriously planning on buying a new bike but can't decide between the new Honda NCX700, Suzuki Vstrom 650, or the Versys; how does one go about making sure they have the right bike? Are test rides possible at all (been riding for 20+ years, can afford if crashed)?

The challenge for dealerships, I think, is the simple fact that a good percentage of their customers are young newbs and/or knuckleheads who are going to wreck whatever they sell them. If the dealerships didn't have that segment of their customer base, they wouldn't be in business. So they gotta get bikes sold to that segment and that's gonna mean some test rides to sketchy people. If a dealership only gave test rides to experienced, seasoned riders over 35 that show up on a moto, they won't sell too many bikes.

When I was working at Bike World Kawasaki a million years ago some guy came in and bought our first 6 cylinder monster(I think it was called a voyager) and as we all watched in horror proceeded to launch straight out of the parking lot and crash hard onto El Camino....We rolled the hulking mess back into the service dept and started the work order........
a1scoot:teeth

Does anyone know which party is on the hook for this? I remember reading something under title 2 of the Uniform Commercial Code regarding sale upon approval, i.e. test drives, that said risk of loss remains with seller.

Isn't that in line with what you guys are always saying on here about not letting strangers test ride your bikes before sale for fear of them dropping it?

Just curious. I personally think test rides should be legally required (I believe they are for autos). We are dropping every bit as much on our bikes as we do on cars and should have the right to know how they handle/perform. The motorcycle dealers and their insurance companies sure would fight that though.

Back