Why Test Rides aren't allowed

A simple requirement like having a motorcycle license for at least a year, or be over a certain age, or full gear required or some other criteria to weed out the kids that just passed MSF 5 minutes ago.

Last time I asked to take a test ride, the salesman said "sure, let me have my mechanic prep the bike for you." He then sat me down at his desk & we chatted for a good 20 minutes about my riding history, bikes I'd owned, trackdays I'd done, etc. He asked to photocopy my license (and ensure I had an M1) and fill out some ppw, which included giving info about my Insurance.

I'm sure the mechanic just parked the bike while the salesman vetted me. I thought it was a pretty good idea. If someone doesn't say the right things about riding bikes, the mechanic can "find a problem" with the bike that needs to be fixed, come back later in the week, etc.

Doh, poor guy. Hopefully they can resolve this amicably, and hopefully the guy doesn't let this prevent him from enjoying this amazing sport/lifestyle (at some point, once the trauma wears off).

So serious question Teddy. If someone (like me) was seriously planning on buying a new bike but can't decide between the new Honda NCX700, Suzuki Vstrom 650, or the Versys; how does one go about making sure they have the right bike? Are test rides possible at all (been riding for 20+ years, can afford if crashed)?

The second part to the problem is not trusting the rider won't bin it, it's just straight inventory control. Import dealers are mildy handcuffed compared to the American and Euro brands..... Will you pay me the same for a Versys on the floor that has 125 miles on it from test rides? Probably not...hahaha. While mfg's like H-D and BMW have stout demo programs where they send bikes to dealers specifically for demo use....we don't have such a clear cut program here. Plus, the other kicker is the profit margin. When you are making $5k on a bike...you can demo it, give a nice discount and still be a profitable business. When you average $1k profit per deal.....not as much room to know you will be clean when you end up having to turn that bike that now has miles on it.

Here is what I have always offered when I was dealing with a customer that wants a bike that we can't allow a demo on due to inventory/risk....whatever. I call it the 5/10.....you sign docs, legally own the bike and ride it out of the lot. If you are back with less than 5 miles on the bike inside of 10 minutes and don't like it, I'll tear up the contracts:thumbup.

Some say 5 miles is not enough....I do believe that most people know if they like a bike in about 10 seconds...but we are all different. It has worked well for me over the years, that may be because I do try ask important questions and ensure that we are putting the customer on the bike they truly want....who knows, maybe I'm just lucky. I've offered it to everyone that has had any apprehension about a purchase without a test ride and I shit you not, after 15 years, nobody has ever walked back in and said "I don't want it".

Every dealer is a bit different. We do try to offer demos on non-sportbikes that are in the upper price ranges and used bikes....but it is not possible everytime. Believe me, every dealer would love for it to be easy to sign a waiver and let you have at it on any bike you desire.....unfortunately reality gets in the way.

If it is TRULY the last step before purchasing (credit approved or cash in hand & price agreed upon)........we will probably let you test ride almost anything...given the proper M1, riding experience and we have a bike set up to try (we don't put gas or batteries in a bike until it is sold)....but you didn't hear that from me.:eek:uttahere

...when it comes to the three bikes you mentioned above......I can probably ask you 3 or 4 questions and figure out which one is best for you. While similar.....they are VERY different and a few simple questions seperates the bunch. :teeth

Last edited:
...and for the record....that was a used Ninja650 this kid demo'd (literally..hahaha)..... With proper cred's a test ride on a used bike is not a problem...unless you ride in on a Ruckus with a permit and want to demo a used Busa....

...and for the record....that was a used Ninja650 this kid demo'd (literally..hahaha)..... With proper cred's a test ride on a used bike is not a problem...unless you ride in on a Ruckus with a permit and want to demo a used Busa....

Thanks Teddy. I'd roll in there on my 1970 CT70 just to fuck with you. " I want to ride that S1000RR or that ZX-10 please."

I went to one of the triumph test ride deals years ago and someone dropped one of those giant cruiser things at a stop light. I always wondered how they handled that but figure they figure that into the demo day insurance. Wonder if the rider had to fill out accident report and all that fun stuff?

The second part to the problem is not trusting the rider won't bin it, it's just straight inventory control.

I totally get this and respect the position you're in. I've always bought new and I have to say, after some 27 bikes over my riding career, for the most part, I know generally what a bike is going to be like without a test ride. I say generally because there are times when a bike I want is so different, I have to ride one before I buy, even if it is used and a prior year. So there are creative ways to test ride a bike you're considering, such as demo days, rentals, a used dealer bike and opportunities such as the one Teddy describes.

Typically, after spending time doing research such as internet, magazine reviews and model specific forums, if the bike I'm considering is similar to bikes I've owned in the past, I just go in and cut a deal, no test ride required. :ride

Sublimity -- is that in Oregon just off 22? Somehow I don't see this whole thing as a big problem. The dealer is sure have enough "general auto"- insurance to cover some minor scratches on dirtbikes and will be happy to total the 650. This whole thing is actually a dream of any bike-dealer to get the money back from insurance company. What insurance company is going to do to "the guy" and his mother(considering that she is the who is policyholder) is entirely different story.

About 30 miles southeast of Salem. I had no idea the town was big enough to support a motorcycle dealer.

The second part to the problem is not trusting the rider won't bin it, it's just straight inventory control. Import dealers are mildy handcuffed compared to the American and Euro brands..... Will you pay me the same for a Versys on the floor that has 125 miles on it from test rides? Probably not...hahaha. While mfg's like H-D and BMW have stout demo programs where they send bikes to dealers specifically for demo use....we don't have such a clear cut program here. Plus, the other kicker is the profit margin. When you are making $5k on a bike...you can demo it, give a nice discount and still be a profitable business. When you average $1k profit per deal.....not as much room to know you will be clean when you end up having to turn that bike that now has miles on it.

Here is what I have always offered when I was dealing with a customer that wants a bike that we can't allow a demo on due to inventory/risk....whatever. I call it the 5/10.....you sign docs, legally own the bike and ride it out of the lot. If you are back with less than 5 miles on the bike inside of 10 minutes and don't like it, I'll tear up the contracts:thumbup.

Some say 5 miles is not enough....I do believe that most people know if they like a bike in about 10 seconds...but we are all different. It has worked well for me over the years, that may be because I do try ask important questions and ensure that we are putting the customer on the bike they truly want....who knows, maybe I'm just lucky. I've offered it to everyone that has had any apprehension about a purchase without a test ride and I shit you not, after 15 years, nobody has ever walked back in and said "I don't want it".

Every dealer is a bit different. We do try to offer demos on non-sportbikes that are in the upper price ranges and used bikes....but it is not possible everytime. Believe me, every dealer would love for it to be easy to sign a waiver and let you have at it on any bike you desire.....unfortunately reality gets in the way.

If it is TRULY the last step before purchasing (credit approved or cash in hand & price agreed upon)........we will probably let you test ride almost anything...given the proper M1, riding experience and we have a bike set up to try (we don't put gas or batteries in a bike until it is sold)....but you didn't hear that from me.:eek:uttahere

...when it comes to the three bikes you mentioned above......I can probably ask you 3 or 4 questions and figure out which one is best for you. While similar.....they are VERY different and a few simple questions seperates the bunch. :teeth
Id buy there! I owe it to myself to test drive any bike. After the last buy/no test drive, it sorta sucked.

The parent company of that dealer owns a string of dealerships all over Oregon. I'm surprised they let that kid test the bike.

My son bought a bike from thier Eugene Honda/kawasaki shop.
Similar scenario with some significant differences: mom drove him in, and he test rode two bikes; a Ninja 250 and a Ninja 500. He had also just passed (aced both tests) the BRC course, and had gotten the m/c endorsement on his dl.
With those credentials, and having chosen those two bike to try out, the salesman had no problem with him doing the test ride.
Mom bought him the Ninja 500.

Id buy there! I owe it to myself to test drive any bike. After the last buy/no test drive, it sorta sucked.
I would too. I've been surprised by bikes I liked a lot less (or a lot more) than I expected upon actually riding them. I've only bought one bike without riding it first (my Versys) and that worked out well. But I've disliked a bike that I thought might be perfect for me.

Being able to buy a bike, but un-buy it if you don't click in the 1st few minutes would be nice.

sucks for the dude. i cant believe they let him ride it........ i feel like dealer should be somewhat responsible. when i was purchasing my bike they wouldnt even let me sit on it until they had my credit card on hand

In the UK I had a salesman almost insist I test ride a 998. I just walked in off the street with no gear, just having a look. There was no way I was going to buy the bike so I didn't ride it. Just didn't want to deal with the mess if something went wrong.

This is why I think following the Japanese example of tiered motorcycle licensing based on engine size is a good idea.

Putting 100hp between the legs any dipshit that walks in off the street is never a good idea.

That includes me when I bought my first 1100.

You do understand that the bike the guy crashed is putting down 70hp on a good day, right?

You do understand that the bike the guy crashed is putting down 70hp on a good day, right?

I remember when 70hp meant it was a racebike. The fastest street bikes made maybe 50 rwhp, about the same as the EX500 "beginner's bike" my kid got.

70hp is more than enough for someone who doesn't know what they're doing to lose control of.

Can you imagine the MONTHS of pleading, reassuring, promises, teen logic and chores that went into getting his mom to drive him to test ride a moto?

Obliterated in seconds. :cry

THIS

Back