• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

YOUNG RIDER HERE IN NEED OF HELP! :)

Which bike..?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

bruddakhan

To Infinity And Beyond
Moto(s)
2006 50th Anny R6 (sold), 2008 Fiat R6(sold), 2007 Candy Red R6 x 2
Name
Zach
--PLEASE VOTE IN THE POLL ABOVE ON WHICH BIKE YOU WOULD GO FOR--

EDIT: im going to end up putting the same mods that bike two has on anyways
EDIT: I HAVE BEEN DRIVING MY MOMS 250 NOW FOR ABOUT 3 MONTHS AND PLAN ON RDING IT FOR ANOTHER TWO OR THREE, I APPRECIATE THE FACT THAT YOU WANT ME TO BE SAFE AND RIDE A SMALLER BIKE FIRST, BUT I AM ASKING WHICH BIKE IS A BETTER DEAL.

Hello, you may have seen my other post in the newbies section. but if not, i am Zach and i am fifteen years old from Los Gatos, CA. i have to chose between two bikes and i need some help from experienced riders. there are two R6's that i can chose from.

BIKE 1:

-2007 charcoal grey R6 asking $6.5k
-11k miles
-comes with a EXO 700 (chameleon graphics) helmet
-records of service recently
-stock, no scratches. clean bike

BIKE 2:

-2006 R6 raven asking $5500
-10,600 miles
-has aftermarket parts (fender eliminator, slip on jardine gp1, flush mount turn signals, rear integrated light, seat cowl, power commander, tinted window, frame sliders)
-looks pretty clean from pictures
-includes all original parts

YOUR OPINION IS JUST AS HELPFUL WHEN IT COMES TO PERSONAL PREFERANCE AND ALSO WHICH BIKE DO YOU THINK IS A BETTER INVESTMENT?

thanks guys ,
Zach

Last edited:
Whichever one will let you do a pre-purchase inspection on it if you're dead-set on getting an R6 :|

It's hard to tell you to take your time, but a new rider should take about a year before moving to a larger bike.
Plus, you need more time in understanding traffic, since you haven't been driving for long (or at all).

You need to take your time. Ninja 250 would be more appropriate to learn how to ride and learn how to make decisions in traffic.

You have the next 60 or so years to ride. :ride

Last edited:
You're 15 and you can afford an '07 R6? Man. I'll just go eat my beans and rice quietly in a corner...

:twofinger

Obviously you have no interest in a sensible bike, and I doubt BARF is going to be able to convince you otherwise, given that you're 15. So:

If you are smart, buy the charcoal and keep it stock. Modding is like paying somebody money to make your bike worse & worth less.

If you MUST mod, get the raven.

Simple as that.

All that said, let me observe the thought of 15yo's running around on new-er R6's is kind of terrifying. Do your damndest to ride safe. 15 is too young to die.

Last edited:
You're 15 and you can afford an '07 R6? Man. I'll just go eat my beans and rice quietly in a corner...

:twofinger

Obviously you have no interest in a sensible bike, and I doubt BARF is going to be able to convince you otherwise, given that you're 15. So:

If you are smart, buy the charcoal and keep it stock. Modding is like paying somebody money to make your bike worse & worth less.

If you MUST mod, get the raven.

Simple as that.

thank you! haha. but what are some things i should look for on the bike to see if it will cause me problems? and i can only afford it becuase of stocks haha. :twofinger

You are making threads because your better judgment (your heart) is warning you. 250 is your bike. Dont go higher until after 1 year.

Despite which bike you decide on, before you ride it would you mind so much if I came over and taped some of my business cards with my contact information under the gas tank, seat, tailsection, inside the body panels... etc.

I'll be needing a complete 600 engine package for a Formula II sidecar and experience has taught me that grieving family members will sell lightly used slightly rashed motorcycle parts at insane rock-bottom discount prices.

Thanks!

You are making threads because your better judgment (your heart) is warning you. 250 is your bike. Dont go higher until after 1 year.

i understand the danger and power in these bikes, trust me. i have a cousin who took a fall pretty hard and has a lifelong scar mentally. also, my neighbor let me borrow his R6 raven 06 for the day, and im used to revving the sh*t out of my moms 250 to just move, and i guess that carried over when driving the r6 and it jumped up when i shifted into 2nd. so i know these bikes arent some joke, but i dont want to let go of a good deal like this 06 raven. i will definately drive my moms 250 for a while, and maybe take my bke out once in a while. :p

i understand the danger and power in these bikes, trust me. i have a cousin who took a fall pretty hard and has a lifelong scar mentally. also, my neighbor let me borrow his R6 raven 06 for the day, and im used to revving the sh*t out of my moms 250 to just move, and i guess that carried over when driving the r6 and it jumped up when i shifted into 2nd. so i know these bikes arent some joke, but i dont want to let go of a good deal like this 06 raven. i will definately drive my moms 250 for a while, and maybe take my bke out once in a while. :p

No you do not understand the danger and power. No I do not trust you.

R6's are dime a dozen and will be plenty available when you are ready. Which you are not. But that's my recommendation, you will have to make the right decision on your own. God bless.

No you do not understand the danger and power. No I do not trust you.

R6's are dime a dozen and will be plenty available when you are ready. Which you are not. But that's my recommendation, you will have to make the right decision on your own. God bless.

alright then, my knowledge cannot compare to yours. the only thing holding me back from denying this deal is the fact that it has the exact mods that i wanted my bike to have, all for 5.5k and 10k miles. its just hard to beleive that another bike like this will come again in less than a year. ill have to do it all my self. what if i bought it and garaged it. only drove it once a week on a sunday to keep it from getting messed up?:(

alright then, my knowledge cannot compare to yours. the only thing holding me back from denying this deal is the fact that it has the exact mods that i wanted my bike to have, all for 5.5k and 10k miles. its just hard to beleive that another bike like this will come again in less than a year. ill have to do it all my self. what if i bought it and garaged it. only drove it once a week on a sunday to keep it from getting messed up?:(

First thing to learn about the used market is there will ALWAYS be another bike just like you wanted. Probably even better, too.

It's really hard to believe, but you gotta believe it. Take it from me. I've lurked Craigslist for going on 6 years now. The mods you want are not unique special things- I swear practically everybody who buys an R6 does those. If the price is really that great, there's almost guaranteed to be something wrong with it.

Note: modded bike is way more likely to have been abused.

Note2: Things to look for? I can't sum it up in one post, there's really too much...

I've seen better deals. :x

And if you don't want a bike where you have to rev the piss out of to get off of the starting line, a GS500 might be down your alley, or one of those new CBR250R's.

I rode the new CBR250R around a parking lot and it is much easier to take off from a stop than a ninja 250.

With your funds, you can buy it outright and have some leftover to pay for insurance and gear ;)
I know of a place where you can get a great deal on one (less than 5k otd, +500 if you want ABS) and would be willing to help you tow it back home if you'd like to go that route.

No worrying if maintenance has been done right, and the million other worries that comes with buying used. :thumbup

First thing to learn about the used market is there will ALWAYS be another bike just like you wanted. Probably even better, too.

It's really hard to believe, but you gotta believe it. Take it from me. I've lurked Craigslist for going on 6 years now. The mods you want are not unique special things- I swear practically everybody who buys an R6 does those. If the price is really that great, there's almost guaranteed to be something wrong with it.

Note: modded bike is way more likely to have been abused.

Note2: Things to look for? I can't sum it up in one post, there's really too much...

okay then my friend, i will take your guys' word for it. i will stick with my moms bike for another 6-9 months. thank you guys! :ride

My sister's bf's brother died just two months after he got his gixxer. Everyone did the same song and dance warning. he was 17 and just got his M1 license. He also did the same song and dance with us about how he'll be careful. Whatever... with that sorta bike between your legs, the heat of the moment gets to you and you will DO DUMB SHIT. I had been riding for ~ 8 years at that point, and i too gave the song and dance of a slower easier to handle bike... but it wasnt my choice, it was his.

If anything, i will say that the second one will be a redflag to cops more than the first. Fender eliminator and signals - might as well paint it red for the cops to harass you. Go stock, learn to ride. Learn to navigate through traffic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back