• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

YOUNG RIDER HERE IN NEED OF HELP! :)

Which bike..?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
??? Are you saying if you got a r6 you're just gonna ride it every once in a while and ride a 2fiddy? I call bs on that one. 99.9 % says you're gonna ride the hell out of the r6 and leave the 2fiddy in the garage. Dude you're 15, there will always gonna be good deals on bikes. Have you experience any near crash situations in traffic? Have you had to slam on brakes in traffic, swerve around objects at a high rate of speed, accelerate hard in a near-miss collision w/cagers, blip the throttle hard unexpectantly, etc? Some of the mistakes you make on a 2fiddy could get you seriously hurt or killed on a r6. Time is your best friend when learning to ride. Do the 2fiddy for year, and I can almost guarantee there will be even sweeter deals on bikes down the road yo?

As for bike choice: I'd go for bike 1 since it has the service records for better peace of mind.

Whatever you do, get some good training.
Califorinia Superbike School, track days, Lee Parks' Total Control, Pridmore's school...
SOMETHING.
Good luck, ride safe.

Attachments

• ralphie-christmas-story.jpg
    ralphie-christmas-story.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 699
Whatever you do, get some good training.
Califorinia Superbike School, track days, Lee Parks' Total Control, Pridmore's school...
SOMETHING.
Good luck, ride safe.

thanks mate, i will for sure take courses.

I completely understand the wanting a SS bike at 15, hell, thats exactly what I wanted. But at 15 you are still learning the ins and outs of being on the road with other vehicles. I really think that they should require someone to have at least 3 years of driving experience before getting an M1 license. I rode dirt as a kid and had a good understanding of how to operate a motorcycle. What I didn't have was an understanding of how People rush to get into a carpool lane between 3pm and 7pm, or how people open doors without looking when you are downtown. There is a lot more to riding than twisting a wrist. That being said, take a look at the 250 class bikes. You will learn a lot more about riding and the new ones actually look cool. Check out the Hyosung GT250r, looks a lot like a GSXR and has similar ergonomics to a full sized SS bike. Stay safe.

get an older 250 sporty for less than $1500.
ride it for 4-6 months. sell it for what you got it for.
see how you like it then switch over to a 600.

just my opinion.

Ok after skimming over everything here...

You have a 250. You want to blow money on another bike ASAP.. I can understand that. But as someone twice your age. I only have 1 comment.

Slow the fuck down, and enjoy life. Don't focus on getting a new bike ASAP. Keep your rear end in school, and buy whatever the hell bike your "disposable income" will allow when you have enough of it.... AFTER you land a good job and finish your education.

Welcome to Barf, where we answer the question you should have asked.

The reason everybody with experience is freaking out is pretty simple. Supersport bikes are twitchy and newbies are clumsy. Bad combo.

It's not about number of months or years riding, it's about your automatic responses being correct. Stuff happens fast on bikes, stupid fast on sportbikes.

What has saved me countless times on the street are my dirt reflexes. If you learn what to do when things are sliding around the rest is easier.

As for the bikes, neither deal looks that good to me. My buddy bought a 07 R6 for $6k two years ago, so you don't have to worry on that score.

alright then, my knowledge cannot compare to yours. the only thing holding me back from denying this deal is the fact that it has the exact mods that i wanted my bike to have, all for 5.5k and 10k miles. its just hard to beleive that another bike like this will come again in less than a year. ill have to do it all my self. what if i bought it and garaged it. only drove it once a week on a sunday to keep it from getting messed up?:(
You are right, a deal "this good" won't come up again soon. The reality is that "better" deals will be available sooner AND later.

To me, it's sad to contemplate how much you don't know what you don't know and yet are able to make decisions with such lethal consequences.

Or you're just trolling

:dunno

Found the OP on facebook, he goes to the high school right next to my home (where I graduated from in 10'). Going to try and get a ride in sometime this soon. I gave him my 2 cents on starting with a 250R.

What has saved me countless times on the street are my dirt reflexes. If you learn what to do when things are sliding around the rest is easier.

Now normally, I'm one of the first to claim that "doing it in the dirt first" is not ALWAYS the best method to learn.

However with the above said. It's extremely hard for me to say that now. I was riding up Quimby Rd with a pretty good size group. Stupid me, I haven't been up Quimby in a LONG time and I completely forgotten about a mis-marked VERY SLOW uphill hairpin. (It's uphill going from Quimby towards Alum Rock)...

I came into that corner, IN 2nd gear while riding 2 up. BIG mistake. Paniced I pulled the clutch, downshifted and Stalled speed wise in the corner. Dirt-bike instincts kicked in (all be it stupidly). I put my right foot down. Leaned into the corner and pitted my knee against the tank. Let the clutch out while ramping up the throttle and came out of the turn looking like a tool.

Now while this story is no big deal. Knowing first hand that I have a friend who rides a busa. That has gone down in that same exact turn. Also being told by 2 riders behind me, they thought for sure I was going down and were amazed that I rode it out. Certainly helps reinforce the idea that ANY extra knowledge you can bring to the table that will save your ass. Is completely worth it.

I still stand by my earlier comment. OP: You're too damn young to be blowing money on bikes.

Certainly helps reinforce the idea that ANY extra knowledge you can bring to the table that will save your ass. Is completely worth it.

Knowledge is not very useful in an oh-shit scenario (which is where the dirt stuff seems to come in), it's reflexes and muscle memory, plus the reduced panic response because this has happened to you before.

SV650
seriously
cheaper to buy, possibly to insure, more than enough power and can be turned into a track bike.

Found the OP on facebook, he goes to the high school right next to my home (where I graduated from in 10'). Going to try and get a ride in sometime this soon. I gave him my 2 cents on starting with a 250R.

:thumbup

Your actions will speak louder than our words ever will

Man, I wish I'd started at 15. I'd probably be done with my racing career by now but I'd be retired on all my winnings and endorsements, surrounded by retired umbrella girls :teeth

This isn't a bike fashion show. Get something fun that handles well for cheap because you will drop it, and start asking for track days from the folks like every B-Day and X-Mas.

OP, you have a great opportunity here, don't fuck it up.

kid + money + sportbike

what the fuck could possibly go wrong

Elena Meyers can handle a 600 and she's just a girl, OP needs to man up, quit being a pussy and buy a literbike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back