• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

YOUNG RIDER HERE IN NEED OF HELP! :)

Which bike..?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
5 grand for a 2000 r6 is not a good deal and you are way too found to be on a super sport bike. Hell 15 imo is too young to be driving a car:twofinger.

1. prolly a troll; but if not

2. you are 15 and you want a R6. go get one, get it fully insured, and have fun wrecking it and raising all our insurance rates. because you WILL wreck it

3. stay on the 250cc for another 8 months, AT LEAST.

but you wont listen. you want a pretty, sexy bike so you can maximize your pun-tang. which i can totally understand, you being 15.

i just want to know where you got the $ for a <5 year old sportbike at just 15 years old?

2 weeks ago made the jump from a Ninja 250 to a 2008 R6, so I'll throw my story in here.

I'll be 30 years old in less than 2 weeks, but I've wanted a bike like this since I was your age. I held back because I honestly did not trust myself to not ride like a maniac, and waiting was the best thing I could have done. When I was a teenager, I did not have anywhere near the awareness, discipline, or respect for the road that I have now.

I'm glad that you are taking the advice of others and waiting a while longer. On top of limited riding experience, you have limited experience on the road altogether. Like the rest of us, you'll make mistakes on the road, and other drivers will put you in situations that you are simply not prepared for. A bike like the R6 will be unforgiving if you don't know how to react to those situations.

i just want to know where you got the $ for a <5 year old sportbike at just 15 years old?

Who cares :dunno

That's not the point. He could get a liter bike for 1500 bucks and that wouldn't help the situation at all.

OP, please have the good sense to listen to folks here. When the overwhelming majority is telling you that this is a really bad decision, there's some merit to that opinion. Would hate to see another RIP thread for a peep from LG. Trust me- after three months of riding, you don't know anywhere near as much as you think you know. Wanna see what a 250 can do? show up to one of Doc Wong's riding clinics and try to follow Gary J around for a bit. :laughing

I'd offer to join you and JRaice for a ride, but I get that nobody likes to ride with a slow, old fart on a V-Strom.

This thread is awesome... the general consensus here OP is to start on a 250, and work your way up. Its a tried and true method to getting better, and to learn what needs to be learned. Also, I would really recommend driving a car for a little bit and learning the ways of the road before getting a sport bike. You are only 15, and I assume have NEVER driven a car before... Learn how to drive before you ride. It will help in the long run...

Who cares :dunno

That's not the point. He could get a liter bike for 1500 bucks and that wouldn't help the situation at all.

true. unfortunately very, very true.

odd that from what i've seen in past threads on BARF, most motorcyclists are opposed to tiered licensing. funny how that is true, however in this thread the vast majority seem to be advising just that. tiered licensing is an EXCELLENT idea folks, not only would it solve issues like this thread, but it also hopefully would get us some cool mid cc bikes (like better 250's and 400's) for sale in the showrooms

lets hope you actually wait and ride the 250 like u said. for your own sake. (edit...good luck with ur newly purchased r6..?)

i know you want to look cool at ur highschool, riding an r6. but the "coolest looking" part about riding a bike is displaying ur skills, not the bike.

you can learn tons, at a much faster rate on a 250, or a sv. as opposed to an r6.

when i was looking for my first bike not too long ago, i told myself "ride carefully, dont be stupid and push urself. and u'll be fine on a 600"

good thing i got a 250, cuz i would have pushed myself into a cliff if i had not -.-

besides, you get the same stares from others that dont ride. and the people who do ride, and know what u're riding...they DONT JUDGE UR BIKE.

only your skill matters when you're riding. no1 gives a crap what your bike is. they'll most likely judge you if u are a new rider with a fast/new looking bike.

Last edited:
when i was looking for my first bike not too long ago, i told myself "ride carefully, dont be stupid and push urself. and u'll be fine on a 600"

good thing i got a 250, cuz i would have pushed myself into a cliff if i had not -.-

Now THAT was funny. Well said, Nate!

To the OP: I've already made my smart-ass comments in your other thread, but let me say one other thing. The Ninja 250 is a very capable and fun bike. Check out the link in my signature for a ton of great information.

Bikes are space time manifestations that have a tiny black hole at the center, which only sucks money. They are investments in the sense that a $1000 hooker and five grams of coke are an investment.

The Ninja 250 is a very capable and fun bike..

Anyone who didn't think that before riding the BARF rally this past weekend certainly had the opportunity to get schooled by Mean Dad on his. Don't believe me? Ask anyone who rode over Yuba Pass with us Saturday AM. :ride

They are investments in the sense that a $1000 hooker and five grams of coke are an investment.

:laughing QFT

Bikes are space time manifestations that have a tiny black hole at the center, which only sucks money. They are investments in the sense that a $1000 hooker and five grams of coke are an investment.

:rofl:rofl

maybe OP will only have the hooker but no coke :thumbdown

in this case...the coke is just as important as the hooker.

unless your "hooker" and "coke" is different that what im thinking :wtf

and at 15, i dont think he cares about "capabilities" :rofl

bigger/cooler looking things > all

Jet?

Hooli's the only one I can think of that would get that reference :laughing

I'd really like to know how much a 15 yo rider has to pay for full coverage insurance on an R6. Somehow I'm thinking it's not even available. :dunno

Where's the 'you'll put your eye out kid' option on the poll M8?

But seriously, I understand wanting something a bit better (read cooler) than the Rebel 250. (I think most of you BARFers missed that part of the 250 discussion) Consider instead a newer Ninja 250, Honda VT250, or (I know you won't like the styling but I'll toss it out anyway) an enduro bike in the 250~350 range.
In the case of most smaller 'beginner' bikes, assuming you keep it in good shape, you should be able to sell it next year for about what you paid for it. You can't do that with most other types of bikes, as there's always a newer, faster model replacing it. It's like having a bank you can ride! :thumbup

odd that from what i've seen in past threads on BARF, most motorcyclists are opposed to tiered licensing. funny how that is true, however in this thread the vast majority seem to be advising just that. tiered licensing is an EXCELLENT idea folks, not only would it solve issues like this thread, but it also hopefully would get us some cool mid cc bikes (like better 250's and 400's) for sale in the showrooms

Not opposed at all. I'd sign a petition to help instate tiered licensing in a heartbeat :)

yea +1 on people respect you on a bike for your riding skill; very VERY little to do with what you ride. i get WAAAAAAY more respect when i mob around draggin' knee and schoolin' fools on my girl's Ninja EX250; than i do when i do the same on my '08 CBR1000RR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back