2024 Formula 1 thread ***spoilers***

Nah, Max is clearly in another league.

Not a huge Max fan at all, especially the way he won his first championship, but he has proven his ability no doubt.

Doesn't make dumb mistakes.

Never mind that the RB has been super reliable to boot.

I doubt that Checo will ever challenge Max again...

I think that his biggest error was expressing the desire to challenge for the Championship, all of his troubles started after that.

We can each draw our own conclusions.

Hamilton was definitely robbed of that first Max title.
I wasn’t a Max fan at all back then, didn’t care for his personality however I do like how blunt and straight to the point he can be. The personality will develop.

Could be something to the theory that the car isn’t working for Perez but how many races should it take to sort that out; it’s been a couple of seasons now. Should folks wait five seasons?

Certainly not buying into the conspiracy that the team is sabotaging his efforts because he expressed interest in winning a title. Who on the grid isn’t there for that.

Here is an article from a year ago about Max.

https://theathletic.com/4256443/2023/02/27/max-verstappen-f1-redbull-fast/

Remember, Max was brought into F1 early (when he was 17) skipping F2. He was part of Alpha Tauri (Toro Rosso back then) at first and scored points in his second race and got 4th twice in a mid pack car.

Like I said, I am not a Max fan, but he is arguably the best driver that has been in F1. His car control is amazing.

Albon crashed in FP1. Hopefully Williams has their spreadsheets updated!!

UDPATE: Albon to use Logan's car. Backup car won't be ready until Suzuka.

Perhaps Williams could have used more pivot tables?

Last edited:
Can someone explain to me why Ferrari is letting Sainz go for the driver that used to be Hamilton?

(Posted after lap 2... :laughing)

Watching the Australia GP....lap 3....

rick.jpg

Whew...

I'm really glad that brake/tire didn't explode AFTER Max pulled the car in. That looked like quite a blast off the Right Rear just after the brake fell apart. Interesting that they left that piece on the track for the entire race. I mean, it was off the race line but it still seems someone should have ran out there and retrieved it. Nice to see Sainz win that and I'm a bit more than concerned that Sergio's days are numbered after two different drivers referred to his car as a "rocket ship" but he still didn't win. There are a few drivers I could see bowing out involuntarily at the end of this season. I'd love to see Zak Brown bring Carlos into Indy Car for his year off.

Last edited:
Not that I don't appreciate the finer intricacies of F-1 Racing but if they could make every race here on out a sprint race, wouldn't be such a bad thing.

Interesting race, for sure.

Mercedes barely holding on to fourth in the Constructor's.

Alonso got a 20 second penalty for "brake checking" Russell causing his crash as lifting off is almost like braking in an F1 car apparently.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/...alonso-cop-a-20-second.4jGPYK1giJqk4P7624Qkqu

Congrats to Ferrari and Sainz though they are still second in the Constructors despite Verstappen's unusual DNF and Perez underperforming.

Like last year, McLaren looks good...will it last?

Well I wasn't expecting that.

That was Max's first technical fault in 2yrs. And it wasn't related to the power unit. Kinda crazy that RB was able to go that long without making this kind of mistake.

This track seemed to highlight all of Merc's weaknesses. Their rear end was unstable everywhere. The back end tried to come around in turns that required a quick precise entry. And they didn't have enough downforce to speed through all the fast turns. That's pretty much the whole track too. It doesn't seem like Merc can recover from a pace deficit in the cost-cap era.

McLaren seemed to botch the strategy for Lando. The tire advantage wasn't much of an advantage, not enough to make passing possible. I wonder if P2 would have been possible if he didn't get undercut. He probably would have just kept LeClerc behind him the whole race.

The teams were screwed this weekend on tires. A 2-stop race with 2 Hards and 1 Medium sucks. They are only given 2 Hard tires for the whole weekend, meaning they couldn't burn a set in practice to work on race setup. So they went into the race probably knowing the Hards would grain - because the Mediums likely did in practice - but not knowing when or having any experience with it. So lame. I'd bet this hurt the racing too, reducing the cars ability to follow and attempt passes.

The RB brake issue was sabotage! Horner made an error by doing it to Max's car.

It's a conspiracy!

Pretending that Checo is capable of challenging Max with equal equipment is ludicrous.

Seriously. Hate on Max all you want. He's douchey, him taking #1 for his car is full cringe, he's aggressive in an uncomfortable way, and his first championship will always be tainted by that questionable call from the stewards. Add to that he's not personable, talks like he's having afternoon tea while he's racing, and that stupid national anthem reminds me of "12 days of Christmas". It's annoying.

But he absolutely kills it and has better car control than anyone else on the grid. People love to hate on success, and have to create all kinds of excuses. Anything except actual skill, amirite?:laughing

Red Bull built a great car. And they coupled it with the best driver currently competing in the sport. He's a once in a generation kind of talent. Best ever? It's arguable but premature. Their other driver is mediocre. It really is that simple.

Last edited:
Personally I think that Schumacher was the Best ever, he was the complete package with a solid understanding of the engineering and was able to develop a car as a driver better than anybody else. Yeah, he was ruthless, that is well documented, that is one thing that he shares with Max who never saw an opportunity that he didn't take no matter how dirty it might be.

There are some drivers, Senna the highest among them, who could have been the greatest, had they survived or not had a career ending accident.

Others may have different opinions....

I think RB missed the setup in AUS, especially for Checo. They tried to protect his front tires too much because of his starting position, screwing up the balance of the car for the 1st stint. And apparently he picked up a tearoff from Alonso that hurt the floor downforce, reducing the chances of him coming through the McLarens. I wouldn't be surprised if RB also missed the setup some for Max. I cant remember him complaining about balance in QP. FP1 and FP2, absolutely. But usually by day 2 they have it all sorted. The RB is designed to run out front, in clear air. Merc took the exact same approach when they were dominating. Checo will be hampered any time he makes mistakes in qualifying.

I want to see drivers keep tearoffs in the car. A few drivers a year have their race screwed up by tearoffs in brake ducts - even one this race with Ocon. And now apparently they can screw up floors too.

Great. Zarco can work there when he gets sick of battling TakkaNakka for 15th place.

Well, another parade race, with the top 4 teams ending up where you'd expect them to with Alonso playing spoiler. Boring race.

The Adrien Newey dominance goes on... I don't see much changing for the rest of the season.

Remind me, why is Ferrari dumping Sainz? ... oh yeah; Hamilton. :laughing

Lando did alright to recover, was kinda fun watching Alonso/Russell/Piestri in the closing laps... Stroll just looked rather lost.... :dunno

Back