• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

2024 Formula 1 thread ***spoilers***

Franco has 4pts after only 2 races! They’ve overtaken Alpine in the Constructors. Williams is probably regretting keeping Logan for so long.

Just curious on what people's take on Verstappen's talent now that he isn't getting his car fine tuned by Newey, I'm thinking that was the biggest difference between him and Perez since early last year.

Logan may have been there in wait for Colinpinto.

Just curious on what people's take on Verstappen's talent now that he isn't getting his car fine tuned by Newey, I'm thinking that was the biggest difference between him and Perez since early last year.

The car is more than 50%...probably about 80%+ in the difference between top tier drivers (of which, almost all are).

It is starting to look like Newey was the linchpin as you have been pointing out.

I didn't believe his leaving would have an immediate effect but it sure looks like it has.

"It's Not The Plane, It's The Pilot."
- Bradley 'Rooster' Bradshaw

There is word going around that Newey at the track was good at seeing the forest for the trees. I doubt he was working on day to day car setup. Thats probably accomplished by simulation and tested by the sim driver. But he’d probably see the general trend of setup needs and have design ideas. Newey has been absent from the track since Spring iirc, which didn’t help.

The other rumor is that RB stopped listening to Neweys ideas last year. This suggest Newey saw these issues coming. The timing makes sense - Max and Checo have corroborated when the issues first cropped up. Then Max drove around it for a year while Checo declined immediately.

There is word going around that Newey at the track was good at seeing the forest for the trees. I doubt he was working on day to day car setup. Thats probably accomplished by simulation and tested by the sim driver. But he’d probably see the general trend of setup needs and have design ideas. Newey has been absent from the track since Spring iirc, which didn’t help.

The other rumor is that RB stopped listening to Neweys ideas last year. This suggest Newey saw these issues coming. The timing makes sense - Max and Checo have corroborated when the issues first cropped up. Then Max drove around it for a year while Checo declined immediately.
Newey was always at the track up until Max stopped winning.
I'm sure he would have been, by far, the best person to set up the car for that track. I never got the idea that he was there as a spectator or for just future design issues, he was actively involved in the setup of the car. When he stopped, Max stopped dominating and winning.

Newey has never been just another guy, RB stopped winning Championships when Newey left active involvement after Vettel won 4 WDC. They say that he can see the air flow, solving issues that take other engineers weeks or months of work and tons of time in the wind tunnels. He's that good.

Newey was always at the track up until Max stopped winning.
I'm sure he would have been, by far, the best person to set up the car for that track. I never got the idea that he was there as a spectator or for just future design issues, he was actively involved in the setup of the car. When he stopped, Max stopped dominating and winning.

Newey has never been just another guy, RB stopped winning Championships when Newey left active involvement after Vettel won 4 WDC. They say that he can see the air flow, solving issues that take other engineers weeks or months of work and tons of time in the wind tunnels. He's that good.
I’d bet your idea of how the top teams make changes is a bit dated. I doubt it’s one crew chief deciding to make a ride-height change. It’s likely a large team of engineers analyzing massive amounts of data and deciding in committee. Every single session the teams pipe tons of data back to their headquarters in real time. That then influences their models and simulations, which influences the test setups the sim driver will try.

Don't know for sure, but highly disagree that design/ car changes and race day setups are finalized by committee.

Max stopped winning when Newey stopped being at the races. Coincidence? Choose for yourself.

I know that there is a ton of data being crunched at each track, but there is nobody like Newey out there, he is quite simply in a class by himself and when you have a guy who knows the aerodynamics of the car far better than anybody else on the team, I really doubt that anybody else could set up for the car better in a weekend for the demands of that track. I've read accounts about how RB thought they had a super team of engineers that they thought could out-do Newey....how is that working out for them?

Personally, I think that now that Newey has left RB, they'll go back to where they were when he went off on other projects before.

I also think that Aston Martin will be one of the front running cars next season.

2025 is looking like it could be a banger. Newey is joining Aston in March IIRC. That should be enough time to impact the results well before the end of the year. And if that goes well, we could be getting another team on the box. Up to 5 teams and 6-8 drivers fighting for wins would be insane!

This always happens - we get a great championship year right before new cars are introduced :poop:

So I should prolly just fall asleep after the drag race to turn 1? :D

Back