• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

2024 Formula 1 thread ***spoilers***

Wrecks the car gets the job.

Odd choice IMHO.

"It's far easier to teach a fast driver not to crash than teach a slow driver how to be fast".

"It's far easier to teach a fast driver not to crash than teach a slow driver how to be fast".
That's probably true, though it didn't seem to work with Crashinaldo. :laughing

In sprinting there is an old saying that goes 'You can make an explosive athlete fit, but you can't make a fit athlete explosive'.

Tomorrow's race should be exciting...unless McLaren runs away with it. Max will need to push that failing turd around Monza in order to get at least a podium.

What a pair of little bitches the RB drivers were at the start of the race..
Max: Wah, wah, Hamilton didn't leave me a car width, I got penalized for the same thing! (I didn't see any case where he had cause to complain)
Perez: Russells car is very dangerous, he needs to be removed!!!

I'm surprised that McLaren played into Ferrari's hand with their race strategy. Isn't it Ferrari that screws up the race strategies?

I'm kind of curious why McLaren went back to Hards for the 3rd stint instead of Mediums?

I'm sure they had their logic, but it obviously didn't work out.

In sprinting there is an old saying that goes 'You can make an explosive athlete fit, but you can't make a fit athlete explosive'.

Totally believe it too, Brett!

Well, with points for manufactures getting much closer, strategies will be interesting to watch. The RB looks highly wounded at this point and the Ferrari fared well better than expected. Perhaps Hammy has chosen well for 2025...

There are some, on facebook, who believe that Adrian Newey gets far more credit than he deserves....but then those same people think that he's nothing more than a manager taking credit for the work of people under him. Obviously, they don't have a clue about what actually happened in the team.

I personally don't see RB coming out of this dive, Adrien Newey has disengaged from guiding the car development and race configuration. Part of me wonders if it isn't the Verstappen Elder who pissed him off. :laughing

I wonder too, but maybe he just wanted out. Gave them time to find a replacement and then cut the cord. That tends to be experience with personal leaving; they'll extend for awhile, but ultimately, they're leaving. McLaren's the odd leader now, given they've had much of their trials and troubles earlier and the car doesn't seem to have peaked yet. RB's people are likely well off the pace with Newey shutting down. Teams have overcome such losses, but RB has yet to face such a challenge that I recall.

I wonder if Verstappen has thought back to what he said about Newey leaving and has second guessed his perspective at that time...
Verstappen talked up the strength of the technical team working at Red Bull, which has been boosted by technical director Pierre Wache signing a new long-term contract earlier this year. He noted that Newey’s role had “changed a bit and a lot of people don’t understand what he was actually doing.”

“I really trust that the technical team we have outside of Adrian is very, very strong,” Verstappen added. “They have basically shown that with the last few years with how competitive the car is.

“From the outside, it looks very dramatic. But I think if you know what is happening inside the team it is not as dramatic as it seems.”

source

The Race suggested that RB started to stray from the direction Newey wanted sometime last year. I'm sure Max was already complaining about curbs and balance back then too. As with most things in F1, this is a long time coming. It only just looks like an immediate change because they had to get beat at some point.

And of course, RB's next major upgrade could transform the car and put Max back on the top step. That upgrade wasn't imagined or produced overnight, so even that is a long time coming. Nothing is saving Checo though :laughing

In retrospect, its kinda funny/sad that the slide of RB might be due to Horner harassing a female employee. That was Newey's final straw and may lead to the Verstappens leaving the team as well. And who will win in that car when Max is gone.

I know that many teams would want Verstappen, but will they want the dad who comes with the package? :laughing

No not rly. All the wings are legal.

Everything bends under load. The wings would need to be significantly heavier and bulkier to bend such a small amount where anyone would call them “rigid”. That ain’t happening.

If the FIA wants to reduce this development direction, they’ll update the load/bending testing procedures for next year. But honestly, I think it’s a fools errand. The teams will always attempt to develop this because it’s such a useful way to make the cars perform better. Reducing this specific bendy wing approach will just make the teams look for other ways under the new tests.

Aston is rly setting themselves up well for the upcoming cars. Newey will start soon enough to impact that design. Fernando will still be there and he doesnt seem to be slowing. Theyll be the only team running Honda, plus Honda is committed to F1 again and their current engine is strong. It will still be technically very challenging to put all that together. But the payoff could be huge. High risk, high reward.

I also read that Newey has always wanted to work with Fernando and he was extremely impressed by the new wind tunnel that Aston Martin has built.

Aston Martin (Lawrence Stroll) is defiantly going after the big dogs.

Back