• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

2024 Formula 1 thread ***spoilers***

The Aston Martin is relatively unchanged, schematically speaking...

aston-martin-amr24.webp

Aston - and therefore Merc - has switched to pushrod rear suspension and added a ton of rear anti-squat. Aston uses the Merc gearbox, which is where the rear suspension attaches. Everyone seems to be going this direction to better control ride-height throughout the lap, which could allow the car to run lower and produce more downforce. I wonder if/when someone will find the limit of too much anti-squat. I also wonder how this will impact the drivers. Tons of anti-squat generally makes for worse ride quality and can be jarring. But anti-squat is probably a lot more comfortable than the floor hitting the track :laughing

Proof in the pie is in the eating, I guess we'll find out soon how well that works. :laughing

Well what do ya' know, the Ferrari is still red.

skysports-ferrari-sf24-launch_6454000.png

The rear wing is supposed to be an improvement, and they've worked to make the car "easier" to drive....

skysports-ferrari-sf-24-launch_6454008.jpg

I watched Daytona with some friends... : |

I WANT MY 4 HOURS BACK!!!!

(Stupid rules, stupid race, but at least the food was good. :laughing)

I had no idea who was gonna win the race up until the very end (1 lap short). When the race started, anyone had a chance at winning. As is the case almost every weekend.

Love it!

It's finally time for cars on track. F1's only preseason test starts Wednesday morning in Bahrain. That's 12hrs from now.

I watched Daytona with some friends... : |

I WANT MY 4 HOURS BACK!!!!

(Stupid rules, stupid race, but at least the food was good. :laughing)

Do I have this right? Winning driver's teammate pushes winning driver into another, causing many cars to crash, and they finish 1-2? How dumb.

Even with how flawed F1's penalty system is, I'm still glad it exists.

^^^
Not quite...Ross Chastain went for a gap that was not there causing the big pile up coming to the white flag. Yellow was not displayed before the leaders took the white flag which ended the race.

Yeah, Chastain shot the gap to lead the inside line as the (now) #2 inside line car (Cindric) got a bump from behind. Hole closed down.

the lap 9 crash was caused in the middle lane by Bowman ( Hendrick) pushing Byron (Hendrick) and getting into him a bit unsquare. Byron corrected too much to the inside line to avoid hitting the outside line (#22) and ended up drilling the #6 in the right rear which put him into the outside wall head on taking out the field.

If you don't get it Rob, come drive it in a Sim. You get it in about 1 race!

Day 1 times. The most important thing for this day is # of laps. Looks like everyone got at least 120 laps except Williams with 61.

image.jpg

Max matched his Q1 time from last year. We can probably say that the new RB is just as solid as the last and that he's comfortable again.

It's the first practice that anybody has had with the redeveloped cars. Max is indeed fast, but I will hold judgement until qualifying next weekend.

Russell has said his car feels more planted and easier to drive and Mercedes is not going for lap time, but are figuring out what the new car wants.

Even if Max is by far fastest, the race for second on back will be very entertaining.

Back