• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

2024 Investment Thread

Taxing money thats already been taxed is nuts. Just as nuts is being taxed on used vehicles every time they change owners.
Who’s up for a tea party?

You mean like when you earn money from your job that gets taxed, then you invest that money and get taxed again when you sell that investment.

Or when you pay sales or property tax.

As more and more people lose insurance, thus those with assets may lose umbrella coverages, Roth IRA conversion make more and more sense rather than just withdrawing money into a regular account when you are an old fart.

There is a five year wait rule, but no RMDs, no tax once converted to Roth and this.

Federal law protects traditional and Roth IRAs up to a certain limit, which is adjusted for inflation every three years. As of 2023, these IRAs are protected up to a balance of $1,512,350. SEP IRAs, SIMPLE IRAs, and most rollover IRAs are fully protected in the event of bankruptcy, as are 401(k) accounts.

As more and more people lose insurance, thus those with assets may lose umbrella coverages, Roth IRA conversion make more and more sense rather than just withdrawing money into a regular account when you are an old fart.

There is a five year wait rule, but no RMDs, no tax once converted to Roth and this.

11 years of being with the company im at and utilizing 100% of the company match in 401K i started switching gears a few years ago. Im taking all those years of company match and rolling it to Roth IRA. Also have been taking advantage of spillover elections and back door rolling that into Roth IRA as well. I dont like the idea of the 401K only basket.

Reactions: GAJ
Abuncha mag7 are buying/building up their own data centers

They are all inline at nvda door, until we have other players, nvda on nonstop bull rocket to moon

$1220 today. I was concerned that it had already gotten ahead of itself at $500.
Irrational exuberance all over again.

$1220 today. I was concerned that it had already gotten ahead of itself at $500.
Irrational exuberance all over again.
Glad I saw articles saying 6-800 then 8-1000 then 1200-1400

Literally all predictions came true, it's like wtf didn't I put more in on Feb and in May on both earnings

Then this 10-1, split, fml I just need nvda go back to 1000 and I can retire lol

So, is anyone here a multi-millionaire on paper after topping out or contributing to a 401k and others such as Traditional or Roth IRA for 25-30 yrs? Set it and forget it method?
Yep. I'm 61 y/o and I'm still investing aggressively. I'm contemplating on dialing back to less risky items.

The stock split 10 to 1 for Nvidia price was pretty lol

Fidelity gave me 10x per share and kept it at 1200
Schwab doubled my holdings one at the 1-10, and 1 at full price

Woke up and shat my pants to almost 2.1million :LOL:

Then came back to earth

State farm says they will continue to offer home insurance to those with policy in Cali if we get additional fire insurance from FAIR

Also they have the zip code map up, my zip code they are keeping 93% of the policies in 95492, if your in west santa rosa you may be able to keep your policy (shows only 1 home not being to get insurance), the zips state farm showing where they are no longer renewing may not be as bad as it seems, the zip codes where they are not taking policies are still showing they will retain like 50%+, yes I know tubbs went into NW santa rosa, but taht is just what their map shows for now

The 2024 march non-renewal from statefarm stating 70k policies - only include 30k homeowners, there is talks that the 30k home owners leaving statefarm will all flog to FAIR - which may cause major financial issues for FAIR....

Last edited:
It’s probably still good for a 15% return this year but the easy money has already been made on nvda.
The trick is identifying the next low key stock currently trading at ten bucks or less at $1000 in 7-8 years and kicking yourself then for not buying now.

State farm says they will continue to offer home insurance to those with policy in Cali if we get additional fire insurance from FAIR

Also they have the zip code map up, my zip code they are keeping 93% of the policies in 95492, if your in west santa rosa you may be able to keep your policy (shows only 1 home not being to get insurance), the zips state farm showing where they are no longer renewing may not be as bad as it seems, the zip codes where they are not taking policies are still showing they will retain like 50%+, yes I know tubbs went into NW santa rosa, but taht is just what their map shows for now

The 2024 march non-renewal from statefarm stating 70k policies - only include 30k homeowners, there is talks that the 30k home owners leaving statefarm will all flog to FAIR - which may cause major financial issues for FAIR....
95404 has a 43 percent cancellation rate, never mind that I'm in the suburban part of that zip code not the rural part.

The stock split 10 to 1 for Nvidia price was pretty lol

Fidelity gave me 10x per share and kept it at 1200
Schwab doubled my holdings one at the 1-10, and 1 at full price

Woke up and shat my pants to almost 2.1million :LOL:

Then came back to earth

:laughing

I don't know much about stocks and such. In fact, when I found out Nvidia was splitting I was going to come on here and ask y'all since there had been some conversation about it, most of which goes right over my head. Like, what does this mean? How will it affect me? Is this good news or bad?
Anyway, same thing...I woke up a trillionaire! :banana The adjustments had already been made, though, before I could change my name to Lovey Howell :x

it feels so much less riskier and alot more comfortable to say Nvidia will go to 140/150 instead of 1400 or 1500 :ROFLMAO:

a few coworkers bought in finally after split, after i talked their ear off about nvda since feb and they were always its too high, well everyone literally watched it climb from 4-6-800 to 1.2k,

Pre split 1 share was 1200, post split you get 10 shares at 120, all nvidia did was 10x their current shares, this does not increase their market value since in any way shape or form, it only entices the personal retail investor since the price per share is no longer astronomical

Last edited:
Yea 5500 sp and 3500 dow here we come, today rally is insane, apple last night was up +7% and it's looking +5% again.

That is #2 company of the world

Only billions going into the market after the Fed says interest will drop by end of year

Yea 5500 sp and 3500 dow here we come, today rally is insane, apple last night was up +7% and it's looking +5% again.

That is #2 company of the world

Only billions going into the market after the Fed says interest will drop by end of year
IIRC my wife started her Roth IRA with all AAPL with maybe 20 grand?

Almost 400 grand now.

She has never wavered unlike me.

IIRC my wife started her Roth IRA with all AAPL with maybe 20 grand?

Almost 400 grand now.

She has never wavered unlike me.
That was a good move! I bet Buffet regrets selling off a portion of BH's holdings! I am thoroughly enjoying monitoring my wife's stock options in Apple; I wish she had stayed the full 4 years to have all of them vest! Ah well, c'est la vie.

Omg, this year has got to be the biggest growth year for stock market, it's crazy billions flowing into stock market daily

Anyone putting money on Pets AI?
They have AI talk to your pets keeping them company while you’re at work or on vacation. No profits or revenue yet but has a market cap of around $400B, sure to go much higher.

Back