• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

2024 Investment Thread

a Cap gains top rate of 44.6% coming? I have a feeling the market might see much less stability between high cap gains rates and AI trading tools. Charts are gonna look like a mountain ranges every hour!

a Cap gains top rate of 44.6% coming? I have a feeling the market might see much less stability between high cap gains rates and AI trading tools. Charts are gonna look like a mountain ranges every hour!

*for incomes $1M or more. I need to read more than the headline.

Lame anyway.

If the government wants more revenue, then focus on closing loopholes, limiting offshoring, ect.

Well I guess our investments in the market and RE will come in handy now that State Farm canceled our home insurance on our home.

Not going to bother paying $10k or more/year with the State plan which likely wouldn't be there in a catastrophe anyway.

Going to self insure.

Worst case if we lose our house, (this development hasn't been burned since its inception in the 50s unlike a few miles North), we raid the Roth IRAs and sell a rental house.

Then we'd rebuild here something that looks more like a cellblock/fallout shelter than a normal suburban home with landscaping/trees/wooden fences, deck and trellis.:laughing

We likely weren't ever going to touch our Roth IRAs at all had we maintained insurance but at least its an option.

Once SS hits at 70 we'll use that to fill up a "replace house" fund as we didn't "need" that money either.

Starting to invest in our 20s gave us that freedom.

Insurance companies are evil. I need to shop for a cheaper equally evil one. Liberty mutual has discontinued umbrella liability policies… er, canceled mine. They still want all that other money stuff.

Insurance companies are evil. I need to shop for a cheaper equally evil one. Liberty mutual has discontinued umbrella liability policies… er, canceled mine. They still want all that other money stuff.

We'll raise the liability coverage on our auto policies and on our rentals I suspect with the loss of the umbrella.

Well I guess our investments in the market and RE will come in handy now that State Farm canceled our home insurance on our home.

Not going to bother paying $10k or more/year with the State plan which likely wouldn't be there in a catastrophe anyway.

Going to self insure.

Worst case if we lose our house, (this development hasn't been burned since its inception in the 50s unlike a few miles North), we raid the Roth IRAs and sell a rental house.

Then we'd rebuild here something that looks more like a cellblock/fallout shelter than a normal suburban home with landscaping/trees/wooden fences, deck and trellis.:laughing

We likely weren't ever going to touch our Roth IRAs at all had we maintained insurance but at least its an option.

Once SS hits at 70 we'll use that to fill up a "replace house" fund as we didn't "need" that money either.

Starting to invest in our 20s gave us that freedom.

What, did you already renew this year, and then they pulled the rug under you? I just renewed with state farm in Feb.

Also super ready to start dca/drip ARCC until I get like 50k into it, unless someone tells me not to right now :laughing

What, did you already renew this year, and then they pulled the rug under you? I just renewed with state farm in Feb.

i "think" my agent did me a favor with 13 months to go about our non renewal.

Evidently State Farm will send us a letter with four months to go (next January) due to this from our agent:

"The reason given in the letters for non-renewal of homes is “Personal Lines Homeowners and Dwelling Fire Insurance policies that present the most substantial wildfire or fire following earthquake hazards, or that are in areas of significant concentration are no longer eligible.”

They have told us “no exceptions and no appeals.”"

I am pushing her to go to bat for us and proposed we could reduce our coverage by 1/3 to reduce State Farm's liability but allow us to keep Earthquake coverage with the CEA and our Umbrella. Doubt it will work.

But yes with every renewal you are to be told what your wildfire risk as part of California law; this is what was in our renewal.

Comforting, right? If you change that 730 point scale to 100 our fire risk according to State Farm's own assessment is 4 out of 100 with 100 being the highest.

I think it's because we are yards from a fault line and even though our Earthquake coverage is NOT with State Farm but with the California Earthquake Authority, California law states that any fire resulting from an earthquake is covered by your homeowner's insurance.

Attachments

• State Farm Policy fire rating redacted.jpg
    State Farm Policy fire rating redacted.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 19
Oh my, fml why is my job in Cali

Thanks for the heads-up that state farm is exiting, they told me in person this year that they would continue to offer home insurance to current policy owners and were just not taking new customers in cali

Thanks for the heads-up that state farm is exiting, they told me in person this year that they would continue to offer home insurance to current policy owners and were just not taking new customers in cali

They lied.

It's sad, my aunt worked for state farm her entire career from Bakersfield to Rhonert Park sites. I think they both shut down.

The bigger issue is why no insurance company will come insure homes on the world's 5th largest gdp country in the world

That is frightening as hell and may all of sudden drive cola in Cali through the roof if we all have to buy gov insurance for like 50% and then self insure the rest 50%

Oh and hate Google ai algorithm, everything keeps popping up as ARCC is Buy Now!!!!

Shud I dump more into nvda? Earnings q1 is 5/22, multiple institutions have called Nvidia price target to 1100-1400, before they were topping 1000

Shud I dump more into nvda? Earnings q1 is 5/22, multiple institutions have called Nvidia price target to 1100-1400, before they were topping 1000

If you own a large broad market fund, you already own it.

I have multiple ETF that hold nvda, but the bull run is here and those ETF go up 5% while nvda shot up close/almost 100% in past 6+ months

Back