AMA members check in - why you should join

Click the linky in the upper right corner of your screen that says AMA and you will gets loads of good info.

Daniel

Thanks for passing on the info Daniel.
There is a join link just a bit down the page... I still love seeing the #0001 :banana

I became an AMA member recently but I am considering canceling my membership next year. The reason? Their opposition to mandatory helmet use and minimum medical insurance coverage. See my reasoning in my letter to them below if you are interested, to which BTW I never got a response. You may have a completely different opinion but their position really goes against what I think (i.e. it is only my view) may be necessary to reduce the severity of accidents and their financial aftermath.

"I am a new AMA member and received the January 2014 issue of the American Motorcyclist magazine. I was very disappointed reading about the AMA Board's position statement on lane splitting, not because the AMA endorses lane splitting (which remains a debatable issue) but because of a sentence that was part of the statement.

It reads "A straightforward lane splitting bill may easily be amended with provisions that the AMA and the motorcycling community would find unacceptable. Provisions such as mandatory helmet use in an adult-choice state, or mandatory minimum medical insurance coverage provisions, would quickly poison an otherwise well-intentioned effort."

As a motorcyclist concerned with safety, I can't make logical sense of the reason why any measure increasing motorcyclists' safety like mandatory helmet use and medical insurance would be opposed by the AMA. Yes, this is free-choice country, but one's free-choice should end where others are negatively impacted by that choice. Should someone involved in an accident pay much higher compensation to a motorcyclist with severe head injuries because he or she made the "responsible" choice of not wearing a helmet? Should the public cover motorcyclist's medical expenses because he chose not to have medical insurance although he or she engages in a high-risk activity? In fact, I would be glad to see the AMA advocating not only for minimum medical insurance coverage but also for much higher liability insurance coverages for ALL drivers (cars and trucks included) as most required minimums ($15,000 in California, for example) are so ridiculously low that they would in most cases not be sufficient to cover the cost accumulated by the injuries and damages of a typical accident involving a motorcyclist. I don't feel represented by this statement at all."

Lux

sorry for the very late response.

Sure the AMA does believe in the freedom to choose whether to wear a helmet or not.
That is really their position. They do a shit ton of great things for riders and if you cannot overlook that then so be it.

Been Riding for almost 15 years by now, and Barf member for a while, just recently signed up for AMA, #2986394. How I add this AMA # to my signature?

Last edited:
Budman..., soo accommodating!

Thank you very much sir

Just joined cause I couldn't resist the Progressive discount.

Last edited:
I joined for the towing assistance and the discounts on hotels. Really comes in handy on cross-continental trips. :D

I joined for the towing assistance and the discounts on hotels. Really comes in handy on cross-continental trips. :D

they haven't responded to me but I asked why they don't cover tow in the even of an accident.

does anyone know? I am a member and found out the hard way they won't tow you for a crash.

they haven't responded to me but I asked why they don't cover tow in the even of an accident.

does anyone know? I am a member and found out the hard way they won't tow you for a crash.

I looked into other services' practices after hearing about this recently too. Apparently it's the same with Progressive's roadside assistance.

Last edited:
I looked into other services' practices after hearing about this recently too. Apparently it's the same with AAA and Progressive's roadside assistance. I can't tell you why, but it appears to be standard.

I've had aaa tow ppl for a crash. they towed my friend a couple months ago because he has ama and they wouldn't do it.

Last edited:
I would guess crashes could mean leaking fluids.. parts loose... etc. which generally would create a big hassle to the tow service.

Makes sense really.

I would guess crashes could mean leaking fluids.. parts loose... etc. which generally would create a big hassle to the tow service.

Makes sense really.
I guess. it's not clearly written when you sign up that they won't tow for an accident tho. most of the people I know who signed up for the roadside assistance did it for the event of a crash. usually when I tell people they're not covered it's news to them... still good for break downs and I use it to tow my car a bunch

edit- ama and triple a contract the same truck drivers. there's no difference when aaa comes for a crash vs when ama comes for a break down. either way it's a flat bed from whoever will take the call.

Last edited:
I've had aaa tow ppl for a crash. they towed my friend a couple months ago because he has ama and they wouldn't do it.

My mistake. I read the terms wrong on their site. I'll edit my above post!

Back