• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

BARF Forum Update/Visual Overhaul

I miss it and it has been noted.

Name, Contributor status, bike type, location (which shows in the hover) etc is fun and useful to me.

I would prefer to see the info without having to dive into menus.
In the previous version of Barf, it gave the avatars personality.
Yes please!

That's one of the methods of enshittification: take something that used to require no/few steps and make it require more.

Used to be able to just see it, now I have to mouse over, and maybe even click on something. Way too much effort for something that used to be as simple as "move eyeballs."

Yes please!

That's one of the methods of enshittification: take something that used to require no/few steps and make it require more.

Used to be able to just see it, now I have to mouse over, and maybe even click on something. Way too much effort for something that used to be as simple as "move eyeballs."
We are taking most feedback in stride and I agree with you that it would be good to restore that functionality.

I take strong offense at the term enshitification and will give you the benefit of the doubt that you may not know what the term means.

In essence, enshittification is a phenomenon where online platforms, initially designed to add value to users, begin to detract from the user experience to prioritize revenue generation.

The above is the generally accepted definition. It is not what is happening here. You’re not going to make friends among the site owner and staff by using that term. Complain about changed functionality all you want, but the use of that term assumes motives that are not in play.

We are taking most feedback in stride and I agree with you that it would be good to restore that functionality.

I take strong offense at the term enshitification and will give you the benefit of the doubt that you may not know what the term means.

The above is the generally accepted definition. It is not what is happening here. You’re not going to make friends among the site owner and staff by using that term. Complain about changed functionality all you want, but the use of that term assumes motives that are not in play.
Never has been really as my goal has always been to keep barf clean as possible while still maintaining an entity that the IRS does not question. A lot of forums sold out for the $$ a decade ago and quickly lost their luster with more advertising and less love (passion) from the people that ran them.

I had no clue what that term meant until now. :laughing

We know this site is an exceptional oasis of soothing slack and you're engaging in pushing back on the digital desert.
"Thanks for all the fish." Doesn't get said enough.
The Doctorow meme is generally applicable to most social arenas currently. It's sticky and gets into nearly everything.

Yes please!

Seriously? :facepalm

:ROFLMAO: This guy sucks, and is not worthy of my feedback on this or any of his many complaints since the switch.

mQDGVA.gif

Still odd performance problems now and again.

Click the "mark all forums read" button, and it stuck for a solid 10 seconds.

I see that here and there floating about.

I’ve noticed that too and Insyder is aware. We’ll figure it out.

I've been running a few tests on different things. In my opinion its a TTFB type of issue. You can see it if you take a look at a waterfall diagram on a page load in your browser. The issues could be a lot of different things. And since its inconsistent, its a little challenging to determine the "why" on this. I'm also trying to button down if there's a time of day that the performance takes a "hit."

The server we're on is beefy. It's actually a lot more beefy than the old server. So I really have doubts its a CPU/RAM/DISK thing. I've sat and watched CPU activity and database activity while casually surfing BARF. CPU activity in both sides of monitoring barely picks the needle up... ever. So its something else. There aren't any CRON jobs that might make Apache/Nginx busy or MariaDB busy. On these items, it makes me want to severely LIMIT guest activity. Partially because they can't steal site resources. And admittedly, I'd rather they register and actually partcipate in the community.

And then lastly, and more likely its weaving through the php options, the caching options, the database indexing, the gzip (or other) page compression options. So we'll see.

When BARF FLIES! that's the way its supposed to run. The delay actions are something stupid going on. But that's ok...

Challenge Accepted

1718427227924.png

Not a priority, but also with the "Mark forums read" function. Click it and a pop-up appears asking to confirm you want to take that action. In the pop-up is a little check box that currently is just a graphic. I suggest make that graphic a switch instead- when checked it stops asking for confirmation and so clicking on Mark all read proceeds immediately. When unchecked- it asks every time.

So I really have doubts its a CPU/RAM/DISK thing.
I would agree.

We have a lot of data, but the db should just handle that. Inserting a few rows in the DB is a nothingburger on modern hardware, and as big as this site is, we don't get THAT much traffic. I've also not seen it on any of the other XF sites I've been on.

So it's something nebulous in the middle. "A network thing" "Contact you're network administrator." "But I AM the network administrator! And I haven't a clue!"

Not a priority, but also with the "Mark forums read" function. Click it and a pop-up appears asking to confirm you want to take that action. In the pop-up is a little check box that currently is just a graphic. I suggest make that graphic a switch instead- when checked it stops asking for confirmation and so clicking on Mark all read proceeds immediately. When unchecked- it asks every time.
I just tried that. LOL wow! Everything is read! :laughing

It doesn't look like you can uncheck that, so the button is simply a "are you sure about this?"

I just tried that. LOL wow! Everything is read! :laughing

It doesn't look like you can uncheck that, so the button is simply a "are you sure about this?"
Yeah- let those of us that use it ditch that step if desired. Can you change the icon to something else so we can toggle the confirmation need Off/On? Free set of foam earplugs are in it for you!

so I'm noticing a real lag time both in entering threads and posting in them, even posting in a thread but it not looking like what I posted was posted then when I think I'm fixing it I have duplicate posts.

The lag has been coming an going. Right now loading new posts is lagging compared to Whats new.
I have not hit the duplicate posts thing where I used to once in a while.

Back