• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

BARF Jam - Saturday 12/18/2010

Oh, also... I'm looking to buy a 200-250w bass head.
:confused Any recommendations on where I should shop?

I've got an Ampeg V4 you could have for next to nuthin'. Not quite the wattage you want, but might be worth a look.

If anyone is interested can bring some Fender blackface goodies. Also have various speaker cabs if you want/need them for the evening and, come to think of it, some PA stuff as well (amps, mics, mixers, etc.).

If anyone is interested can bring some Fender blackface goodies. Also have various speaker cabs if you want/need them for the evening and, come to think of it, some PA stuff as well (amps, mics, mixers, etc.).

I hope you come out and bring what you'd like. If you do bring the blackface stuff, I'd be happy to plug into it for sure. On the other hand, you can check out this Fractal thingie I've been going on about. :laughing

Hey guys like I said before I'm willing to bring my Mesa head if there's a cabinet to use. Otherwise we'll need at least a second guitar setup.

Hey guys like I said before I'm willing to bring my Mesa head if there's a cabinet to use. Otherwise we'll need at least a second guitar setup.

If Ogg is willing to bring a cabinet, that would be helpful. I'll bring my combo, just in case. You won't be getting tight, brutal metal sounds out of it, but at least we'll be able to hear you.

If Ogg is willing to bring a cabinet, that would be helpful. I'll bring my combo, just in case. You won't be getting tight, brutal metal sounds out of it, but at least we'll be able to hear you.

It'd probably sound killer through a Scumback loaded Marshall 4x12 I could bring :thumbup Should also be pretty easy to dig out a 2x12 with Weber AlNiCo Cali's, have to check how deeply buried it is tho.

SuperMike, any interest in the Ampeg Bepor?

SuperMike, any interest in the Ampeg Bepor?

What's the output on that? My Kustom 250w head is in the shop and hopefully it'll be ready today or tomorrow. Maybe you could bring it out just in case?

What's the output on that?

Should be 100w into 8 ohms. On paper it's not the kind of power you say you want, but a tube amp will still sound good when you drive it non-linear, whereas when your SS amp starts clipping, you'd probably turn it down. The V4 is probably plenty loud and you just might like how it sounds.

That's about right. It's loaded with Sovtek 5881 at the moment (they sound like crap in most 6L6GC applications, but do really well at the ridiculous plate voltages in Ampegs). You can also put in 6550 outputs and easily get 150W out of it that will stand up to a SS unit that claims a lot more power. The old V-4/VT-22 have huge transformers and very stiff power supplies, so will do more'n you might think. I'll drag it along if there's room in the car so you can try it.

I'll drag it along if there's room in the car so you can try it.

:thumbup

:mad So, wednesday of last week, I took my head to a local guitar shop for repair, telling them that I'd really like to have it for a gig this saturday. The next day, they call and tell me that it should "be ready next week". So I call today looking for an ETA and they tell me, "Yeah, we'll take a look at it tomorrow." :rolleyes

Faaack.

Last edited:
:thumbup

:mad So, wednesday of last week, I took my head to a local guitar shop for repair, telling them that I'd really like to have it for a gig this saturday. The next day, they call and tell me that it should "be ready next week". So I call today looking for an ETA and they tell me, "Yeah, we'll take a look at it tomorrow." :rolleyes

Faaack.

Should have contacted me. What needed to be done?

:dunno

That's why I took it to a shop.

You do amp/instrument repair?

Dunno 'bout Hools, but I used to own an amp design/build/fix shop :)

'Course the solid state stuff usually costs more to fix than it's worth :thumbdown

Back