• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Cars that make your jaw drop.

I thought it was a Caliber SRT-4

Never driven the SRT4 version, but the Caliber was one of the worst rental cars I've driven. Blocky, bulky dash made of cheap plastic, ugly "old fart" 4-spoke steering wheel, crappy Jatco CVT transmission that over-reacted and hung at high rpm's at the slightest demand for "acceleration".

Seriously. Tired of all these tiny SUV/crossover that can't fit 2 adults in the backseat. It's not more practical then a honda accord, just goes faster.

Thank women for the CUV/SUV craze and the death of the manual sports cars. CUV are the number 1 seller for women. Women (mostly) don't care about performance or driving in general and they out number men in the US of A :nchantr:(

https://www.cars.com/articles/2014/01/study-men-want-luxury-cars-women-want-crossovers/

https://jalopnik.com/younger-single-women-are-driving-the-small-crossover-bo-1779592293

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/jun/19/business/la-fi-women-cars-20100619

Last edited:
Since the Lamborghini Urus has come up. I was just at the Audi dealer and they had a new Q8 (the Lambo’s closest cousin) in the showroom. Amazing looking interior but yeesh...what a funky looking front end. Was in this same color too. Not sure how much more the Lambo is over the Audi, but powertrain aside it’d be worth it to get the Lambo’s looks.

Audi-Q8.jpg

Thank women for the CUV/SUV craze and the death of the manual sports cars. CUV are the number 1 seller for women. Women (mostly) don't care about performance or driving in general and they out number men in the US of A :nchantr:(

https://www.cars.com/articles/2014/01/study-men-want-luxury-cars-women-want-crossovers/

https://jalopnik.com/younger-single-women-are-driving-the-small-crossover-bo-1779592293

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/jun/19/business/la-fi-women-cars-20100619

Yeah, those darn women! Ruining everything for men!

:rolleyes

Thank women for the CUV/SUV craze and the death of the manual sports cars. CUV are the number 1 seller for women.

When I got my mom a new vehicle last year, I suggested a sedan because it’s just her and a little dog. She doesn’t need anything bigger. Nope. Wanted to sit up higher. So a crossover it was.

When my wife wanted to be done with her Mini Cooper convertible last year, she was tired of “not being seen” so she wanted a bigger vehicle that’s higher up. So yup, crossover it was.

Neither one of them really loads up the back with tons of cargo, goes up to the snow, or any of the other things one should pick these vehicles over sedans for. They just wanted the extra feeling of security. And I can’t blame them. If everyone else is driving these bigger vehicles, they should be in one too. Extreme example here, but Suburban vs Smart car in a collision is so grossly lopsided in terms of who loses that one (if they’re even alive at all), I am fine that the women in my life are wasting a little more gas than they really need to.

I recently loaned my Grand Cherokee to my sister who normally drives a Civic. When she returned it, the first words out of her mouth were, "Yep, I'm buying something taller for my next car"

Some of it may be women. But I myself can't stand how unnecessarily big some vehicles have become. My personal beef is full size trucks. My old 1977 Chevy one-ton seems dwarfed by today's MID sized trucks. And the bed rail heights on the full size stuff is nuts. Chevy is putting steps all over the place because nobody can reach anything in the first place!

It's getting harder and harder to drive a normal car in a SUV/CUV/Bro Dozer world, can't see around them whether they're moving or they're parked.

On top of that, they like to get right up on your ass because they can see over you and figure they won't get hurt if they plow thru you.

On top of that, some sedans are getting pretty ugly like the new Accord and Camry, the 2 formerly top selling cars in what was the top selling segment. Combine that with the crappy condition our roads are in, you can see why they sell CUVs/SUVs/trucks to both women and men.

It's getting harder and harder to drive a normal car in a SUV/CUV/Bro Dozer world, can't see around them whether they're moving or they're parked.

On top of that, they like to get right up on your ass because they can see over you and figure they won't get hurt if they plow thru you.

On top of that, some sedans are getting pretty ugly like the new Accord and Camry, the 2 formerly top selling cars in what was the top selling segment. Combine that with the crappy condition our roads are in, you can see why they sell CUVs/SUVs/trucks to both women and men.

Part of the reason the cars get uglier too is the large vehicle issue. A truck rear ended you and the bumper goes through the rear window. So now trunks are sky high to prevent this. It’s a vicious cycle.

I drive a 1500 and it feels dwarfed to almost every truck/suv on the road. When I get into my wife’s car, it so small (and it’s a full size sedan).

Thats the thing, cars look great on the showroom floor but get one for a test drive and you feel like you're sitting in traffic on a skateboard.

On top of that, some sedans are getting pretty ugly like the new Accord and Camry, the 2 formerly top selling cars in what was the top selling segment.
Hmm, I actually think the current generation Camry and Accord are the best they've ever looked. :dunno

BTW, why do you guys ride motorcycles if you're so concerned about "being seen" and "re-balancing the impact damage"?

Replacing a headlight on my CTSV just made my jaw drop. :(

Replacing a headlight on my CTSV just made my jaw drop. :(

I bet it’s not as bad as what it costs on the latest cars with LED headlights. Most of them have no serviceable parts (like a bulb or igniter). So you replace the entire headlight unit when something goes out. Most cars are about a grand per side, though some of the fancier LED units have been $2-3k for just the part.

Back