• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Cars that make your jaw drop.

Dig through your couch cushions, raid your kids' college savings and live the dream.

The U.S government (U.S. Marshals Service) is auctioning off nearly 150 vehicles seized (including a Smokey and the Bandit replica Trans-Am supposedly once owned by Burt Reynolds) from the "alleged perpetrators behind an $800 million investment scheme."

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/10/21/burt-reynolds-pontiac-trans-am-us-marshals-auction/

The Auction is October 26th in Woodland. Details and photos of the some of the cars included are HERE. Classic muscle cars, British sports cars, some first-gen Humvees and more are listed.

^^ Damn son! Who's bidding on these cars? I'm surprised by the prices of classics right now. I bet my '69 stang could fetch $30k in the state it's in based on those numbers on the auction.

Dig through your couch cushions, raid your kids' college savings and live the dream.

The U.S government (U.S. Marshals Service) is auctioning off nearly 150 vehicles seized (including a Smokey and the Bandit replica Trans-Am supposedly once owned by Burt Reynolds) from the "alleged perpetrators behind an $800 million investment scheme."

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/10/21/burt-reynolds-pontiac-trans-am-us-marshals-auction/

The Auction is October 26th in Woodland. Details and photos of the some of the cars included are HERE. Classic muscle cars, British sports cars, some first-gen Humvees and more are listed.
Already most at retail price

TFW--for just a split second--you realize that your McLaren won't be going home in one piece.

EHlUA1IUcAAHx54.jpg

EHlUA1HVUAAXm3n.jpg

Today in south Orange County.

[youtube]NMWlFokYYGM[/youtube]

[youtube]5EOUIBRzoYA[/youtube]

Last edited:
Almost but not really a car.

0-330mph in 20 seconds.

[youtube]liXLZFAeroA[/youtube]

Bloodhound is a follow-on project to Thrust SSC, current land speed record holder at a supersonic 763mph, set in 1997. Their goal is 1000mph. Driver and former RAF pilot Andy Green, seen in the video, drove Thrust as well. A lot has happened in the 22 years since Thrust, and I don't know if Richard Noble, who ran the Thurst project, is still involved.

For more on Thrust SSC, I highly recommend Noble's book Thrust, which is apparently still in print. Great background, great pics--including one of Green, after setting the record, riding into a bar in Black Rock City, NV, on a Hawk GT. That clinched his spot on my all-time hero list.

Last edited:
What record were they chasing? The 1/4 mile record is 396 mph in 3.22 seconds.

1000' record. Top fuel stopped QM racing in 2008 after Scott Kalitta's fatal wreck.

EDIT: You found a rocket car record for the QM done in the dessert. That is moving in the QM for anything.

Last edited:
There is still top fuel racing. They shortened the distance to 1000 feet from 1/4 mile because... safety?

Yes. The NHRA determined that the speeds that the top fuel cars were attaining were too great for the shut down area at the majority of tracks, so they shortened the races to 1000' to give them more space to get stopped safely.

Gasoline-powered door slammers make more whorespower today than top fuel cars made 30 years ago.

TF is in the 11,000hp range last time I checked. All calculated as no dyno could possibly handle that power.

Most drag strips were built long ago when no one even fathomed 5 digit horsepower numbers in land-based vehicles.

The 1000' run makes sense. Even 1/8 mile is becoming more and more popular because its much easier on the vehicle, somewhat safer, you can still go fast and you don't need as much space.

Back