• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Cars that make your jaw drop.

My buddy just had this delivered. A lot of money for a Dodge, could have got a nice car for the same price.

cd6K05ol.jpg

tJww2B7l.jpg

That looks like one of those in the $80K+ category...A LOT of money for a Dodge, but that's a lot of HP too. I love the flares.

That looks like one of those in the $80K+ category...A LOT of money for a Dodge, but that's a lot of HP too. I love the flares.

Dodge has been (and I can’t see why they still wouldn’t be) doing this thing where you get $10 per horsepower discount right off the price. The Charger Hellcat Widebody there starts in the low $70k range. So that puts that rig in the mid 60s. Plus options of course. But damn that’s a great price for a new super sedan.

Dodge has been (and I can’t see why they still wouldn’t be) doing this thing where you get $10 per horsepower discount right off the price. The Charger Hellcat Widebody there starts in the low $70k range. So that puts that rig in the mid 60s. Plus options of course. But damn that’s a great price for a new super sedan.

When I was in the dealer a few months ago they had a hellcat on the floor that wasn't a widebody for $78 or $79K. I don't know if it is different now, but those high end cars where being sold at a premium over MSRP. Anyways, it doesn't matter, I will never shell out that kind of money for a shitbox Dodge even if it is 700+hp.

When I was in the dealer a few months ago they had a hellcat on the floor that wasn't a widebody for $78 or $79K. I don't know if it is different now, but those high end cars where being sold at a premium over MSRP. Anyways, it doesn't matter, I will never shell out that kind of money for a shitbox Dodge even if it is 700+hp.

Yup:thumbup

I'd get the Grand Cherokee Trackhawk if I was looking at spending that kind of cash on a shitbox. But when the base vehicle can be had for half the price its really not much more than lipstick on a pig.
700 hp doesn't have all that much appeal to me anyhow. Its way more than I'd need in any situation. Same way 200 hp bikes don't have much appeal to me.

If I were to buy one of those, it would have been the Demon. Yeah, it’s kind of a one trick pony, and the Hellcat Redeye is only a handful of horsepower shy with actual ability to take a turn as well, but the Demon was a one year only car which may mean something 10-20 years from now. I have a feeling that we’re just at the tail end of a generation in the car world. A generation where cars can still generate their own sweet soundtrack with massive gas guzzling engines that produce 500+ horsepower.

As much as I love superchargers over turbochargers, I know they will go away altogether soon enough. Turbos absolutely kill having a good exhaust note, but it’s hard to ignore how much more efficient they are at producing power over superchargers. Because of that, engines like the Hellcat’s will turn into smaller displacement multi cam turbocharged setups. Mercedes made the switch. The once glorious sounding 5.5 supercharged and 6.2 NA engines they used in their AMG cars has become a 4.0 turbo. Which sounds okay, but not nearly as good old as the old engine. Corvette has been rocking the 6.2 pushrod for a good number of years now. That will change soon enough. The new engine will be smaller displacement breathing though a couple snails. As soon as that happens, I can confidently say my 6.2 supercharged V8 will be the best sounding Corvette ever made. The Challenger/Charger is getting pretty old as is the engine it uses. I imagine its replacement is right around the corner. And I bet it will have an all new engine to go with it.

To be fair...it's hard to argue with the performance and efficiency improvements. Look at the M340i - faster than the older M3s, still gets you 30 mpg instead of 12, seats 4-5, and carries a couple sets of golf clubs along with it. What's not to like about that vs the older V8? Sound is the only real disadvantage, and I hate how they pipe in artificial sound, but slap on an Akropovic exhaust or something and it still sounds pretty damn sweet.

[youtube]OYjfifsGoD8[/youtube]

To be fair...it's hard to argue with the performance and efficiency improvements. Look at the M340i - faster than the older M3s, still gets you 30 mpg instead of 12, seats 4-5, and carries a couple sets of golf clubs along with it. What's not to like about that vs the older V8? Sound is the only real disadvantage, and I hate how they pipe in artificial sound, but slap on an Akropovic exhaust or something and it still sounds pretty damn sweet.

[youtube]OYjfifsGoD8[/youtube]

It really is hard to argue. The gains are there with very little drawbacks. And yeah they’ve been cheating to get you the sound with the fugazi noise piped in, and on some cars they continue to inject fuel on overrun so you get the pops and crackles from the exhaust.

But I hate turbo lag. I really do. And it’s one of those little drawbacks about turbos. Some cars are better than others about it. Like that new BMW. Two little turbos spool up faster than a single large turbo. And yeah, I don’t have to go far to find one of the best at mitigating turbo lag. The NSX masks it so well with the electric motors surging to fill in, that you’d swear it’s NA power delivery. I also don’t have to go far to find one that embodies why I hate turbochargers. My wife’s Audi with a single turbo V6. The lag is real. Or hell, the Cooper S she had before it. The newer turbo engine was just not as fun and lively as the older supercharged one.

If I were to buy one of those, it would have been the Demon. Yeah, it’s kind of a one trick pony, and the Hellcat Redeye is only a handful of horsepower shy with actual ability to take a turn as well, but the Demon was a one year only car which may mean something 10-20 years from now. I have a feeling that we’re just at the tail end of a generation in the car world. A generation where cars can still generate their own sweet soundtrack with massive gas guzzling engines that produce 500+ horsepower.

As much as I love superchargers over turbochargers, I know they will go away altogether soon enough. Turbos absolutely kill having a good exhaust note, but it’s hard to ignore how much more efficient they are at producing power over superchargers. Because of that, engines like the Hellcat’s will turn into smaller displacement multi cam turbocharged setups. Mercedes made the switch. The once glorious sounding 5.5 supercharged and 6.2 NA engines they used in their AMG cars has become a 4.0 turbo. Which sounds okay, but not nearly as good old as the old engine. Corvette has been rocking the 6.2 pushrod for a good number of years now. That will change soon enough. The new engine will be smaller displacement breathing though a couple snails. As soon as that happens, I can confidently say my 6.2 supercharged V8 will be the best sounding Corvette ever made. The Challenger/Charger is getting pretty old as is the engine it uses. I imagine its replacement is right around the corner. And I bet it will have an all new engine to go with it.

2023 Dodge Challenger will be a cosmetic package on a badge-engineered Chrysler 200. :twofinger

I remember riding next to a Jag that was making that noise continuously in traffic. Sounded like exploding ball bearings rattling around in the exhaust.
Deliberately engineer that fake noise as part of the design is retarded.

I was walking my dog tonight on an empty stretch of road near my house when a guy in a Trackhawk was accelerating WFO away from a stop sign. Sound was great. Hate on the build quality or whatever from FCA all you want but 700-800hp of rude, brute force car that you drive right off the showroom floor is kind of cool.

How about the big crack you hear from the exhaust when the computer momentarily cuts spark between upshifts? I think that noise is race car level awesome. That’s super fun in a tunnel.

And it’s not just there for grins, there’s a functional reason cars do that. Torque management for the transmission. It’s a lot easier on the parts to try and engage a new gear when not fully loaded up with input torque.

I was walking my dog tonight on an empty stretch of road near my house when a guy in a Trackhawk was accelerating WFO away from a stop sign. Sound was great. Hate on the build quality or whatever from FCA all you want but 700-800hp of rude, brute force car that you drive right off the showroom floor is kind of cool.

I have a couple NSX clients that also have modified Trackhawks. They seemed to get 1100+ horsepower out of them fairly easily. They can get to right around 160 in the half mile. Crazy thinking they can get something with the aerodynamics of a box to haul ass that much.

Just needs a T-top and a CB antenna.

Walter White should have spent some of that meth money and fixed his Aztec up to look like that.

Back