• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Cars that make your jaw drop.

Sunday morning coffee run. Love this Slot Car!

51152585632_a4ffaeacce_b.jpg

production-ready-mercedes-amg-one-spotted-training-its-f1-drivetrain-in-public_27.jpg

Mercedes-AMG One prototype out for some road testing. Sleek, but I don't care for the vertical stabilizer.

To me it looks like a red herring used to disguise the shape along with the paint.
Especially if it has what looks like a tail light on the end of that added shape.

mercedes has a long history of it's really fast cars leaving the Le Mans race track in a manner more befitting an airplane than a car. if it's there they think it needs to be.

Genesis G70 Shooting Brake. (Station wagon for the less pretentious among us.) This model is headed for Europe and not the U.S.

2022-Genesis-G70-Shooting-Brake-2.jpg

2022-genesis-g70-shooting-brake_100791572.jpg

Genesis G70 Shooting Brake. (Station wagon for the less pretentious among us.) This model is headed for Europe and not the U.S.

Damn, that thing is pretty slick.

I would like to thank all the soccer moms of America that just can’t live without a SUV/crossover instead of a wagon (which usually has pretty much the same cargo capacity). All because they have some need to sit up high. You wind up with a taller heavier vehicle that handles like shit compared to a wagon and gets worse fuel mileage. All that for a view.

I would like to thank all the soccer moms of America that just can’t live without a SUV/crossover instead of a wagon (which usually has pretty much the same cargo capacity). All because they have some need to sit up high. You wind up with a taller heavier vehicle that handles like shit compared to a wagon and gets worse fuel mileage. All that for a view.

And a false sense of safety and security.

2 doors == shooting brake 4 doors == station wagon

So a Pinto Wagon is a shooting brake?

Don't blame soccer moms. They aren't going to buy performance cars or performance versions of regular cars anyway. Most crossovers are excellent vehicles that drive well enough, hold a lot of stuff, have great ergos and excellent visibility.

Blame enthusiasts for buying retro teen fantasies instead of high performance wagons that are more practical and will do nearly everything the average Mustang or Camaro will on the sporting side.

I'm also loosing steam on these "wagons". They're borderline sedans with hatchbacks. A wagon was supposed to provide more space and functionality over a sedan. These new slew of wagons to me don't seem to do anything a sedan cant.

I guess we'll never see buick roadmasters or even slightly smaller wagons like that anymore.

The Audi $90k+ wagon is amazing but aside from room for a dog to roam, I'm over them.

Try loading and unloading two kids into their carseat in a civic multiple times a day. You'll quickly learn why your mom started asking when you'll be have kids when you were in your 20's. My back aches just thinking about having to load them like that. I'll take my CRV with 90 degree rear doors and slightly higher ride height, worse fuel mileage, and shittier handling (I don't autocross the CRV), for the sake of staving off a couple of years of back ache.

TLDR; different strokes for different folks.

Try loading and unloading two kids into their carseat in a civic multiple times a day. You'll quickly learn why your mom started asking when you'll be have kids when you were in your 20's. My back aches just thinking about having to load them like that. I'll take my CRV with 90 degree rear doors and slightly higher ride height, worse fuel mileage, and shittier handling (I don't autocross the CRV), for the sake of staving off a couple of years of back ache.

100%

We better be out of my wife's A4 before the baby gets too big. Getting her in and out of the middle car seat is such a pain.

+1

So a Pinto Wagon is a shooting brake?

absolutely!

No.

But the Pacer might! :laughing

00D0D_i6aRDQZvqEK_1200x900.jpg

Weren't the original Shooting Brakes horse drawn?

all of the "original (insert 4 wheel vehicle)" were horse drawn because that's what provided power before "put an engine in that" was a thing

pacer for sure is, as is the Vega Wagon, which looks better than the pinto IMO
8739915-1973-chevrolet-vega-std-c.jpg

I'm also loosing steam on these "wagons". They're borderline sedans with hatchbacks. A wagon was supposed to provide more space and functionality over a sedan. These new slew of wagons to me don't seem to do anything a sedan cant.

I guess we'll never see buick roadmasters or even slightly smaller wagons like that anymore.

The Audi $90k+ wagon is amazing but aside from room for a dog to roam, I'm over them.

i read an interesting agrument chain on bookface about this car, wagon vs shooting brake which was that a shooting brake has 2 doors AND A, B, C and D pillars. this hundai doesn't have a D pillar so 2 door vs 4 door aside it isn't even a Wagon because there is no D pillar. it's a hatchback.

i'm going to stick with the 2 door = shooting brake, 4 door = wagon distinction because the rest of it is a little too douchey for me but .... yeah this thing is a hatch back... but so is the Audi RS7. hatchbacks can be pretty sweet

I did that for a couple of years with a 2 door Toyota Celica. You are not lying.

I work on plenty, and I mean plenty of SUVs that have no car seats in them. A lot of them I can tell are just single occupant all the time (no creases in the seat leather).

I don't have any kids. I bought an RDX last year, not for me, but my wife wants to sit up high and just wasn't interested in a sedan. And forget about the "w" word with her...those are soooo not cool.

I don't think Rob is thinking of a CRV with his on-point rant. We're talking about Tahoes, Suburbans, Expeditions, Excursions and the like. Also, I'm pretty sure your kiddo didn't need the $1000 carseat that comes with ever unnecessary bell and whistle and also weighs considerably more than your basic child's car seat. I watched a mother unload a car seat from her Tahoe today at Costco in amazement...it had a built in tablet holder and speakers. :nchantr

Back