• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Cars that make your jaw drop.

I don't think Rob is thinking of a CRV with his on-point rant. We're talking about Tahoes, Suburbans, Expeditions, Excursions and the like. Also, I'm pretty sure your kiddo didn't need the $1000 carseat that comes with ever unnecessary bell and whistle and also weighs considerably more than your basic child's car seat. I watched a mother unload a car seat from her Tahoe today at Costco in amazement...it had a built in tablet holder and speakers. :nchantr

Pretty sure when I was that age, I had a lap belt and an etch-a-sketch.

Ford called the Pinto "long roof" a wagon (see below). My argument is that the shooting brake term is ridiculous and only used by car nerds (me included sometimes) on exotic or rare vehicles. No one really sees a Pinto Wagon and thinks "Hey, sweet shooting brake."

We could move on to why Porsche feels coupe can be applied to 4-door SUVs or turbo to electric vehicles but that would be an exercise in frustration.

il_794xN.2775186218_ppzk.jpg

i blame jalopnik for the explosion of the popularity of the Shooting brake name. when they pinto was available nobody knew what it was, now... people are all OOOOOOH. I can put all my gats in there and go hunting?. i want a vega shooting brake

I don't think Rob is thinking of a CRV with his on-point rant. We're talking about Tahoes, Suburbans, Expeditions, Excursions and the like.

He specifically said crossover. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You’re both right.

I would like to thank all the soccer moms of America that just can’t live without a SUV/crossover instead of a wagon

I wouldn’t cross shop the CR-V to a Civic (though once upon a time they had similar architecture). But short of having a full on Brady Bunch situation, there isn’t much reason in my eyes to chose SUV/crossover over the equivalent sized wagon. Or sedan if you don’t like any of the extraordinarily limited choices in the wagon market. I had a TSX Sportwagon, which was the Accord in other parts of the world. If I had kids, I would’ve been totally fine with that instead of a CR-V. Sure the CR-V has some more ground clearance, but who the hell really is off roading a CR-V?

I can’t believe how many three row SUVs I worked on, and they only had one or two kids. Everyone wants to load them up with these car seats that look like they’re out of a fighter plane plus half a nursery full of toys, wipes, snacks, and other kid paraphernalia.

Oh boy look at this! One of the greatest Corvette fanboy cars of the fuel injected era to ever grace the roads is up for sale. Though by the time this auction closes, I believe it’s going to cost more than a house.

1988_chevrolet_corvette_1620406991697e5f309Sledgehammer-Lead-Photo-scaled.jpeg

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1988-chevrolet-corvette-31/

Over 30 years later, the top speed this car reached is still pretty amazing. And it still holds the record at the Transportation Research Center in Ohio.

Brave man. But based on that other picture, I imagine you know what you’re doing. My RDX is more or less a CR-V, and I wouldn’t dare. I’d take it to Tahoe in the snow or drive down the beach at Pismo, but that’s probably it…but then again a front drive Accord would fare just as well with that task. You’re definitely an outlier though. It’s a safe bet that 90% of them never leave pavement. And 99% of them aren’t doing anything like you did. Though one could probably apply those percentages to a Range Rover as well, and those are actually pretty legit off roaders.

Jesus. A museum piece. Interesting to see what that winds up going for.

Oh boy look at this! One of the greatest Corvette fanboy cars of the fuel injected era to ever grace the roads is up for sale. Though by the time this auction closes, I believe it’s going to cost more than a house.

1988_chevrolet_corvette_1620406991697e5f309Sledgehammer-Lead-Photo-scaled.jpeg

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1988-chevrolet-corvette-31/

Over 30 years later, the top speed this car reached is still pretty amazing. And it still holds the record at the Transportation Research Center in Ohio.

Delco Bose cassette stereo. Worth every penny.

Delco Bose cassette stereo. Worth every penny.

It’s not just Corvettes those go bad in either. The Bose “way” back then was to integrate the amplifiers with the speakers. And they all crapped out. Fortunately there’s plenty of people out there who can rebuild those cheap Bose amps.

One thing hasn’t changed with Bose car audio even today. Super duper Radio Shack level 9000 cheap grade speakers. Paper cones with foam (that loves to disintegrate) surrounds.

Back