• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Mountain Bike?

Was up at JM last Sunday and the vegetation has come alive. Trails are def a bit thinner with lovely prickly, itchy plants hanging over. Also when I parked on Redwood I saw three spots with broken car window glass. Don't know if this is common but lock up you shizz and don't leave anything in view for thieves.

Was up at JM last Sunday and the vegetation has come alive. Trails are def a bit thinner with lovely prickly, itchy plants hanging over. Also when I parked on Redwood I saw three spots with broken car window glass. Don't know if this is common but lock up you shizz and don't leave anything in view for thieves.

srsly , chap gets real skinny towards the bottom. dont bring your wide bars :x

For DH (like Pacifica) I run the Minion DHF (2.5" in 3C)/High Roller (2.35" in MP60) combo -- nice grip!

For most of the bay area I run the Weirwolf 2.3" Front and Rear -- you either like these tires or hate 'em.

Yea thats the combo I was look'n at . $100+ in rubber , this is like my dirt bike :| I still want to pedal the bish though... ugh

Last edited:
Yea thats the combo I was look'n at . $100+ in rubber , this is like my dirt bike :| I still want to pedal the bish though... ugh

These tires aren't light:

1330g for the Minion (steel bead) and 850g for the Highroller (steel bead).

With DH wheels and DH tubes (2mm rear) , I was still able to pedal them.....don't think I needed the DH tubes though

I've got a spare rear wheel I guess I can risk running a skinny in the back. :deadhorse

For pedaling around locally, I like the 2.35" single-ply DHF, which only weighs 870g. I don't think there's much need for the dual-ply tires around the here, unless you're hitting big drops/jumps somewhere and not landing smoothly.

I also often use a Nokian NBX 2.3" UST if I want to run tubeless. I think either will give more overall grip than the Kendas (I'm assuming Nevegals) I did just mount up a 2.35" DHF tubeless on a Stan's FR rim, so that may become my norm.

If you really want to run a 2.5" up front, you can probably still find a single ply DHF 2.5" around. I may have one, but not sure. If you can't find one, let me know and I'll check my inventory.

If you can find a 40a DHF, pick it up. Maxxis hasn't molded that compound in a few years and they're scarce. The 40a was great because it was the 40a compound molded over the 60a compound, so the knobs didn't fold over, like on the 42a's. The Nokian and Marzocchi tires were supposedly similar. I typically just run the 60a's, since they're easier to find now and a bit cheaper than the 3C's and they have plenty of grip.

As an alternative to running a DHR, I've been using a WTB Prowler SS 2.3" rear (860g) lately and like it. It seems to roll as well at the XT or a Nevegal, but with more grippy knobs. It's kind of like a Weirwolf on steroids. I haven't tried mounting one up tubeless yet... that's next on the list.

I was up at JMP this Sat and thought the trail were still pretty wide. Lots of PO around, so cover up or be careful.

I've only used the DHF at Tahoe, they're so soft I didn't want to waste them on local stuff. Forget about finding any local too, buy in advance. One day BTI will have 100+ the next 10 or less.

Funny thing, last year's D-ville, a pro woman sponsored by Maxxis was bitching up a storm over not having "the right tire". She wanted to run WTB's so bad :laughing

Mt Diablo

While the climb was relentless in some sections -- (especially at the "Widowmaker"), I was stoked to see this at the very top:)
MtDiabloSummitSign.jpg

Diablo has some sweet singletrack -- our guide, knew all the "fun" trails.:shhh

There are sections past "Devil's Elbow" that when taken at speed, can easily send you off the cliff. I really think they should just call the whole thing "Devil's Singletrack"

Greg, you weren't kidding when you said easy 50mph+ down that fireroad (Meridian Ridge?)...:devil.

I'm not so sure about the $5 parking fee:| -- but this will be an excellent weekly training ride.

Last edited:
Who was your guide?

Must make sure he made you swear the Devils Handshake Oath of Secrecy about the singletrack around the BackCreek area (oops!) I meant the area singletrack your not supposed to ride. In the Mitchel Canyon area (doh!)

Must make sure he made you swear the Devils Handshake Oath of Secrecy about the singletrack around the BackCreek area (oops!) I meant the area singletrack your not supposed to ride. In the Mitchel Canyon area (doh!)

51 y/o guy named Rick from MTBR -- has been riding those trails the past 20 years.

From the summit:

down summit road
down devils elbow trail, aka north peak trail
down prospector's gap
down meridian ridge
down donner canyon
down heatherington loop trail
down donner canyon
left on unamed road
left on back creek
right on coulter pine trail
to mitchell canyon

:)

when is the next meet?

DO y'all play with tire choices much?

There's a route that I ride routinely where 16 out of the 20 miles is bike trail and street, then I climb St. Joseph's Hill (Los Gatos), about 2 miles in the dirt -

The other day I decided to put on one of my old Bontreger Invert tires on the back just to see what would happen.

It usually takes about 56, 57 minutes to get to the top, and once upon a time I thought I had gotten up there in 53, but no matter how I tried 56's were about it.

:wow whaddya know I got up there right at 53:00 without any more effort than usual. You'd think my tire would be spinning on the climbs but eh, not really... and no real big issues on the way down either (ya I know, most of the weight is on the knobby front)

Hey all, I am a little late to the party here, but wanted to post up anyway. Recently moved from the valley to livermore, and decided to dust off the mountain bike. Used to ride alot in Utah when I lived there, and I miss it. I started riding from my house to the Dam at Del Valle. I don't really know anywhere else in the area to ride. Anyone else in livermore ride? I also got this app for my iphone, imapmyride. Anyone use it or something similar? It's pretty cool, here is the ride I did last night: http://www.mapmyride.com/route/united-states/ca/-livermore/284124339411839064

edit- Oh yeah, I ride an ancient Research Dynamics hardtail, w00t!

Hey all, I am a little late to the party here, but wanted to post up anyway. Recently moved from the valley to livermore, and decided to dust off the mountain bike. Used to ride alot in Utah when I lived there, and I miss it. I started riding from my house to the Dam at Del Valle. I don't really know anywhere else in the area to ride. Anyone else in livermore ride? I also got this app for my iphone, imapmyride. Anyone use it or something similar? It's pretty cool, here is the ride I did last night: http://www.mapmyride.com/route/united-states/ca/-livermore/284124339411839064

edit- Oh yeah, I ride an ancient Research Dynamics hardtail, w00t!

:wave

Make me get off my ass and go ride with you, bish.

Deal

edit, I will be doing it again tomorrow. See if I can make that climb at the end, it is brutal.

Last edited:
They won't close the trails (couldn't enforce it if they did!). If it happens, they'll just close the campgrounds and other annemities.

The new whip!

A big thanks to Harpo Wholesale Cycle for putting this together for me :)

IMG_2128%20%5B800x600%5D.JPG

IMG_2127%20%5B800x600%5D.JPG

IMG_2129%20%5B800x600%5D.JPG

Back