• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Mountain Bike?

9M61:

China Camp, Tamarancho, Pine Mountain, Mount Tam, and Marin Headlands are some trails you cam explore in Marin

Thanks for the info. i will check them out when i get all my gear. if anyone is in the marin area and wants to ride hit me up. i dont know anyone who rides out here. all my friends that ride are in san jose.

I actually just picked up a lid from these guys

http://www.kaliprotectives.com/bike/#/product/

It is one of the lightest lid's on the market

I need me teeth 4 opening the beer bottles :laughing
This lid looks sweet.
http://www.motostrano.com/kaduhegr.html
Might have to go to Red Wood City to try one on.
Where is the cheapest place to buy one??

Clipping in is still the way to go IMO. I even clip in DHing. YMMV.
Me too! :teeth
Although I Do ride with some DH pro riders and many of them go flat

Last edited:

Attachments

• Fly Lite .jpg
    Fly Lite .jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 58
when does the mountain bike season start and finish? I'm new to this so please don't laugh to hard at some of the question I ask.

Does anyone know of a good shop that can set my suspension for me. im in marin county and dont know any shops out here. any suggestion would be great.

Last edited:
when does the mountain bike season start and finish? I'm new to this so please don't laugh to hard at some of the question I ask.

Depends on how much you like mud, or how much you're willing to travel. I'm too lazy to spend much time washing my bikes, and too cheap to or travel to drier areas that drain better, so I typically switch over to to pavement in the rainy season.

Does anyone know of a good shop that can set my suspension for me. im in marin county and dont know any shops out here. any suggestion would be great.

1. it never stops...ever....:)

2. what suspension do you have (fork and shock models)? from there it's pretty easy to tune it....i can tell you a pretty easy way to set sag and rebound (compression is anther ball-O-wax) ;)

the front is a rock shox REBA and the back is rock shox BAR. both are air. i know they are not the best but i think they will be ok for a first bike. i didnt want to spend a bunch of money on a super nice bike when im going to crash a lot on this one.

Last edited:
the front is a rock shox REBA and the back is rock shox BAR. both are air. i know they are not the best but i think they will be ok for a first bike. i didnt want to spend a bunch of money on a super nice bike when im going to crash a lot on this one.

OK...here it goes....

REBA's are (from what I understand) infinitely tunable.....which means you have a bazillion options for every type of ride....this is good...confusing but good

The BAR i don't know much about.....but here are the 'basics' of setting up matched suspension:

Fork:
Sag = approx. 1/4 to 1/3 of full travel used while simply sitting on bike (it's a preference). You should be able to adjust by adding/subtracting air from the positive chamber (around 80% of your body weight).

now the tricky bit....you need to set the negative air chamber....I think the manual is 'off' in their recommendation....try matching the positive, or go a little higher....again...it's a matter of preference.

Rebound = how fast the fork returns from being compressed. I like to simply stand over my bike....grab the front brake and jam the bars down (compressing the fork).....

your rebound should come up just about as fast as your hands do....if the fork pushes your hands up decrease your rebound....if it feels sluggish - increase your rebound (i hear that 'Full Rabbit' is popular for XC).

Compression = the rate a fork dives....no real formula here....find a rocky section and plow through it.....adjust and plow through it agin...reapeat until you get it right..

Shock = same as above (minus the negative air chamber and compression)....for initial setting on rebound for your rear shock simply ride your bike off a curb at around 10mph....stay seated....

If it feels like you're riding a bucking bronco - decrease the rebound....if it feels sluggish increase your rebound....

easy peasy :)

I find it's also fun to test these initial settings in the field....find a short bit of track...bring your shock pump....and ride the same choppy section over and over and over fine tuning your set up....

having a mismatched suspension really sucks.....unfortunately most peeps don't know theirs are all screwed up....;)

FOOKIN' NICE!!! :thumbup

only change i'd make....do not run a SB8 in the front unless you're used to drifting a bit in the corners ;)

I have never tried the SB8, but in general I like my nobs space out a little more than the SB8 for greater soil shear area. My race tires last year were Kenda Karma in the front and a Stans Raven in the rear.

I have never tried the SB8, but in general I like my nobs space out a little more than the SB8 for greater soil shear area. My race tires last year were Kenda Karma in the front and a Stans Raven in the rear.

SB8 in the rear for dry weather is BEST race tire I've ever run....solid hook up, fast rolling.....all chewy and grippy.....

BUT...i've never run Crows or Ravens....

ok chum thanks for the info. i will let you know how it goes and if i cant figure it out maybe we can meet up and you can help me out.

:thumbup Thanks Chum for that suspension crash course. that helps quite a bit.

does anyone know if you can bleed shimano brakes with out the bleed kit?

The only items in a Shimano bleed kit are the oil and some tubing to slip over the bleed fitting. If you can find some tubing the right size and some mineral oil, that's all you'll need.

Back