• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Mountain Bike?

OK so for now I put a 2001 Manitou Mars fork on my YBB. This allowed me to upgrade to an Avid mechanical disk brake, and the fork actually works pretty good! Plus it was free....

However I have a couple issues...I have a red 100lb spring, and would prefer a yellow 120lb spring. Also my Air Piston Rod Assy is damaged (rubber piece on the bottom is torn). That is the plastic rod that sits above the spring, see page 12 on this schematic

http://manualer.happymtb.org/answer manitou/2001mars_servicemanual.pdf

Anybody got an old busted Mars I could use for parts, and/or a yellow spring?

Thanks,

Peter

Hard to tell from the video but is that like a Nomad trail (6.5 inch travel) or would a full DH rig be better suited for the job.

PS. The run looked pretty good to me. No body to dirt/cliff/rock/tree contact is always a positive in my book. :thumbup

you can manage on a 6.5" travel bike no problem, there are alternate routes to avoid the big drop off spots and really rocky stuff. definately would be better for a DH bike though.

haha the run was not that great, i was confused where to go and i was like crashing into the sidewalls haha.

Hey Guys,

I don't know if everyone knows what my name SLR stands for. SLR is a non-profit organization called Support Local Riders. We are a legal 501(C)(3) organization and we raise money for injured motorcycle and bicycle riders. We will step in and pay bills like Rent, PG&E and food.

We just got an email form a lady named Linda and her bike was stolen the other night. She is a bi-lateral amputee and her bike was how she got all of her exercise. SLR is trying to get a ladies Mt. Bike donated to her so she can get back on the road. She is 5 10 and would like a 21 speed. it doesn't have to be anything special just in good working condition.

If you cant help with donating a bike for Linda please check out www.supportlocalriders.com and find the donate page. if we can raise enough money SLR will be able to buy Linda a new bike so she will be able to exercise again.

If you would like to donate please send all emails to donate@supportlocalriders.com

Thanks for all the support.

Josh Preston
Executive Director

HALP!

Opinion needed yo: what do y'all think of Mavic Crossmax SX UST Wheels? I've got a bro offering me a pair at ~350 for 2008's.

Pretty solid wheelset. I have a pair that's as close to brand new as you could get but I'm shooting for closer to $400. If they are absolutely solid, no dents, flat spots, spokes tensioned to perfection, all proper hardware is included (Front skewer and QR adaptors, rear skewer, Valve stems) and most importantly, hubs in great shape, .... than they are definitely worth $350.

If that doesn't work out, here is a link to mine.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik/1599144931.html

HALP!

Opinion needed yo: what do y'all think of Mavic Crossmax SX UST Wheels? I've got a bro offering me a pair at ~350 for 2008's.

Very good wheels. The '09s have better (more) engagement, but the '08s are solid. $350 is a good price if they're in good shape, as Harpo said.

I went for the 1st ride with the new bike, man am I outa shape!!!
You think you're outta shape, try 3 weeks on a Respirator with Acute Respiratory Failure, 5 days on a paralytic, 28 days in the hospital and 7 joint surgeries in 1.5 yrs. Then my friend you will truly understand outta shape. :cry

On the bright side, if you train hard for the next month or 2 you'll probably be right back where you were. I've been working out like a beast for the last 5 month and don't see any end in sight to "Sucking Wind Syndrome" :thumbdown

i rode down the crack today... haha holy shit that was fun. climbing that fire road gets a bit easier everytime i do it. takes me a little under 30 minutes to get to the junction with that sign post.

what a gnarly trail though.

edit: lame clip of me being a gimp.. i was confused as to where to go at some points haha.. i'll have to make another clip much better next time.

[youtube]BNKnhjA-PoI[/youtube]

Looks like fun.. Heard that place be pretty Gnarly..
Wanna hit it sometime for sure:cool

I picked up a new cyclocross bike last night so my old Marin mtn bike is for sale in the Grab Bag if anyone is looking for a cheap bike with good components. I'm too much of a wuss to do single track and downhills anymore, so the cross bike will be nice for pavement and fire roads. Anybody know good spots to go in the southbay? I try to stay off busy roads as much as possible (no hwy 9 or Skyline for me) so I'm mostly looking for backroads and relatively easy off-road stuff.

I picked up a new cyclocross bike last night so my old Marin mtn bike is for sale in the Grab Bag if anyone is looking for a cheap bike with good components. I'm too much of a wuss to do single track and downhills anymore, so the cross bike will be nice for pavement and fire roads. Anybody know good spots to go in the southbay? I try to stay off busy roads as much as possible (no hwy 9 or Skyline for me) so I'm mostly looking for backroads and relatively easy off-road stuff.

Alum Rock Park has a some great fire roads, if your a puss and into that.
Actually, one hella steep one, so not puss at all.

he he.
I'll go with you, puss that i am.

:laughing It's actually not so much that I'm a puss, the bigger problem is I'm a competitive idiot and don't know when to back off. That Marin bike was crashed only once, but I lost the front while bombing down Stevens Creek canyon (coming down from Skyline) and just destroyed myself crashing into the side of a hill (blew up the camelback, knocked the wind out of myself, broke ribs, separated shoulder... took me a good year or so to get back to 100%). I was riding with a bunch of current and ex-roadracers and all I remember was that we were all getting stupid and I saw the speedo hit 36 mph right before I crashed. That friggin hurt!

So yeah... I'm going to be a puss on a cross bike because I don't have enough self control and brains to ride a mtn bike safely... :laughing

I'm too oldto crash anymore, so you are safe with me. I still did the single track.

And wear full leathers.

So yeah... I'm going to be a puss on a cross bike because I don't have enough self control and brains to ride a mtn bike safely... :laughing
Yea, someday you'll have to come on the Roxy, Sonny, Ryan, harpo self control/brain ride. :laughing:laughing:laughing:rofl

Oh yeah, Harpo... FOR SURE!... I just look at your avatar or Roxy's extensive collection of nasty x-rays and I just can't wait to do a no-brakes drill down a big hill... NOT!! :laughing That $hit ain't for me, I'm turning 40 in May, officially an old man... I'll be in Los Gatos on the Vasona trail chasing canadian geese on my cross bike and giving little park ducks dirty looks and empty threats about what I'll do to them next duck season!! :rofl :rofl

btw, do you guys think that $600 is a fair price for the Marin bike? A good friend told me that's about all it's worth, even though I was stupid enough to dump over $400 last year for a tune-up and parts updates. :rolleyes

...I'm turning 40 in May, officially an old man...

:rofl:rofl i'm 40....you should go on a cross ride with me.....:twofinger

start at my pad we'll roadie roll to hit a QS loop, down the backside of hicks...up thru old almaden to Santa Teresa park...climb Stiles then bomb down thru the golf course and easy spin it back home for some brews....:twofinger

actually...it's a fun loop....

I know that area well... I practically lived at my best friend's house on Leyland Park Drive, right next to the golf course and Quicksilver... Sounds like I'll need to work up to doing that loop since all I've been riding for the past few years is my Electra beach cruiser. :teeth

One more thing: for a cross bike, Crank Bros Candies or Eggbeaters OR Shimano XT PD-M770? For a mtn bike I'm pretty sure I would go with Crank Bros, but what about cross bikes? CHUM??

Back