• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Mountain Bike?

i've messed myself up more in 3 months of mountain biking than all of 9 years of sport biking...first month my entire body was scabs, scratches, and bruises.

One more thing: for a cross bike, Crank Bros Candies or Eggbeaters OR Shimano XT PD-M770? For a mtn bike I'm pretty sure I would go with Crank Bros, but what about cross bikes? CHUM??

any MTB specific pedal will work fine and dandy....i prefer eggies, but the SPD's are good too....

just make sure yo have a MTB specific shoe...and a stiffer sole = better IMHO

i've messed myself up more in 3 months of mountain biking than all of 9 years of sport biking...first month my entire body was scabs, scratches, and bruises.

It's only a bicycle, right?:rofl
Just like riding a fiddy...You end up jacking yourself up on stuff you think is tame:laughing

One more thing: for a cross bike, Crank Bros Candies or Eggbeaters OR Shimano XT PD-M770? For a mtn bike I'm pretty sure I would go with Crank Bros, but what about cross bikes? CHUM??

Well only because you asked... I'm partial to SPDs. I've tried most others, but like the feel and functionality of SPDs. More true on a cross bike where you encounter less mud, which seems to be the one common complaint. :|

I say, ride what you like. :thumbup

Times would be my second choice.

That being said, I recently ran across THIS thread on MTBR about CB pedals. It's definitely discouraging that the best argument is to deal with the fragility, expect to rebuild them often and even fail on you mid-ride every now and then. Not really my cup of tea. :thumbdown YMMV

Oh yeah, Harpo... FOR SURE!... I just look at your avatar or Roxy's extensive collection of nasty x-rays and I just can't wait to do a no-brakes drill down a big hill... NOT!! :laughing That $hit ain't for me, I'm turning 40 in May, officially an old man... I'll be in Los Gatos on the Vasona trail chasing canadian geese on my cross bike and giving little park ducks dirty looks and empty threats about what I'll do to them next duck season!! :rofl :rofl
1) My avatar is a result of Pneumonia/Respiratory Failure, not sports :cry
2) My X-Rays are as kule as Roxy's :twofinger
3) We only do "No Brake" drills down Stix and Stones :thumbup
4) Suck it sisssy, I'm gonna be 45 this April :twofinger

1 word, ..... PADS :teeth

1) My avatar is a result of Pneumonia/Respiratory Failure, not sports

Sorry 'bout that, I didn't know - I thought you took a digger and broke some bones. Hope you're better now.

2) My X-Rays are as kule as Roxy's

No. They are not. You know why? Because she gets extra points for being a kickass girl who's not afraid of anything, plus she shoots guns! :teeth

4) Suck it sisssy, I'm gonna be 45 this April

F@@@@K, just when I'm ready to pull the old man sympathy card, you gotta pull your seniority card! :laughing Alright, you win... :twofinger

Well only because you asked... I'm partial to SPDs. I've tried most others, but like the feel and functionality of SPDs. More true on a cross bike where you encounter less mud, which seems to be the one common complaint. :|

To be honest, I've never used CBs and I really liked my old Shimano DX pedals. I was initially thinking of just going with SPDs because I heard you don't have as much lateral movement in those pedals as the CBs, but then most of my buddies who ride mountain bikes swear by their CB Eggbeaters. It's unlikely I will do any cyclocross races because I'm a fair weather kind of rider, so I don't think I'll have to deal with muddy conditions very often (if ever!). I'll have to buy something by Friday when I pick up the bike. Performance has the Shimano pedals on sale... :teeth

Sorry 'bout that, I didn't know - I thought you took a digger and broke some bones. Hope you're better now.

No. They are not. You know why? Because she gets extra points for being a kickass girl who's not afraid of anything, plus she shoots guns! :teeth

F@@@@K, just when I'm ready to pull the old man sympathy card, you gotta pull your seniority card! :laughing Alright, you win... :twofinger

LOFL
I can't wait 'till I can get into the movies for the senior citizen price.
And I'll probably be going to the movies because I won't be able to ride with with a cast and broken arm caused by just not being able to see the bridge in front of me while slamming down Live Wire. LOL x 10 :rofl
And then I can rightfully be able to yell at the kid in the movie blocking my view. "Hey sonny, take your D@#N hat off, I can't see, .... Damn Wipper Snappers." :wtf :rofl :teeth

OH, And I'm finding out that it takes lungs a really long time to recovery.
Meeting with a respiratory therapist this week to get into a program. Blood 02 content/saturation is still sub-par. Still suckin wind. :cry

Last edited:
...More true on a cross bike where you encounter less mud....

:wtf 'cross was designed* for mud and muck and crappy weather......

* it's how the European roadies trained in the winter starting back in the 20's...that's how it all started...

To be honest, I've never used CBs and I really liked my old Shimano DX pedals. I was initially thinking of just going with SPDs because I heard you don't have as much lateral movement in those pedals as the CBs, but then most of my buddies who ride mountain bikes swear by their CB Eggbeaters. It's unlikely I will do any cyclocross races because I'm a fair weather kind of rider, so I don't think I'll have to deal with muddy conditions very often (if ever!). I'll have to buy something by Friday when I pick up the bike. Performance has the Shimano pedals on sale... :teeth

I've tried the CB Eggbeaters. The tension was set too stiff that I couldn't get used to them. Even after months of riding with them, I never felt comfortable being clipped in all the time.

Then I tried a set of Shimano SPDs and LOVED them. I like that I can set my tension fairly loose, (so I can bail out!:laughing)

:wtf 'cross was designed* for mud and muck and crappy weather......

* it's how the European roadies trained in the winter starting back in the 20's...that's how it all started...

:wow Wow... okay. I stand corrected. I didn't think skinny tires and mud would mix. Who knew?!?

But I did get the impression that the OP was going to use the cross bike for paved and fire roads. Shouldn't be much mud there, especially in this area.

Oh yeah, Harpo... FOR SURE!... I just look at your avatar or Roxy's extensive collection of nasty x-rays and I just can't wait to do a no-brakes drill down a big hill... NOT!! :laughing That $hit ain't for me, I'm turning 40 in May, officially an old man...

Fuck.

I gave up freestyle motocross and took up mountain biking on account of freestyle being "too dangerous" anymore for a 40+ first-time-dad like me.

Looks like i should have stuck to knack-knacks and supermans.

Fuck.

I gave up freestyle motocross and took up mountain biking on account of freestyle being "too dangerous" anymore for a 40+ first-time-dad like me.

Looks like i should have stuck to knack-knacks and supermans.
Hey man, don't feel bad. You can do knack-knacks and supermans on the mtn. bikes, just that the landings aren't quite as pretty, .... especially when clipped in. LOL:laughing :rofl

Sorry Beau,
Just sold them last night. Ad should be pulled already from CL.
I do have a set of 2009 Easton Havoc AM wheels in pretty damn nice shape.
20mm front / Not sure if the rear is QR or 10x135 thru. (It's on a bike in storage) Regardless, they will fit most standard rears. They are on a 2008 Giant Reign right now.
$300 (no trades, definitely needing cash)
Let me know if your interested in them.

These are them:
http://www.treefortbikes.com/85_333222338037__Havoc-AM-Disc-26"-Wheelset-(2009-Closeout).html

Sorry Beau,
Just sold them last night. Ad should be pulled already from CL.
I do have a set of 2009 Easton Havoc AM wheels in pretty damn nice shape.
20mm front / Not sure if the rear is QR or 10x135 thru. (It's on a bike in storage) Regardless, they will fit most standard rears. They are on a 2008 Giant Reign right now.
$300 (no trades, definitely needing cash)
Let me know if your interested in them.

These are them:
http://www.treefortbikes.com/85_333222338037__Havoc-AM-Disc-26"-Wheelset-(2009-Closeout).html

I have a skewer front. Do they come with an adapter and will they just bolt-on with one?

I have a skewer front. Do they come with an adapter and will they just bolt-on with one?

I do not have the adapters. So for now, 20mm only unless you can track down adapters. A skewer is no prob. Got plenty of those.

If you don't mind mismatched I'm sure I've got some absolutely Knarly wheels, and I just ran across (cleaning the garage) a SUPER-SWEET, almost brand new, front, Stan's ZTR Flow (AM/FR rim) hand laced 3x on a DT Swiss 340 hub. (Spotless) I'm sure I could come up with something pretty nice for the rear but I haven't got a match for that. I'll get back to you l8r and let you know my inventory.

Back