• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Mountain Bike?

Anyone know any good sites to check for used mtn. bikes in norcal
besides CL? I am in the market for a new bike and looking for a
good full suspension XL 29er (Tallboy). Feel free to PM me if you happen
to have any good leads...thanks!

C-
Pinkbike, MTBR, ...????

Help with Fox Rebuild / Tuning ?

Getting ready to freshen up my Blur XC that has an older Float RLC 140 up front
and Fox Float RL High Volume Rear

I can probably figure out most of the rebuild but would like some expert help with setup

I have all the new seals but haven't picked up fluid yet :ride

Getting ready to freshen up my Blur XC that has an older Float RLC 140 up front
and Fox Float RL High Volume Rear

I can probably figure out most of the rebuild but would like some expert help with setup

I have all the new seals but haven't picked up fluid yet :ride
Talk to Merrick or Bikemech1 but Merrick is QUITE KNOWLEDGEABLE w/rebuilding Fox forks.

PS. No Idea what his barf name is.

Insanely Awesome Mojo SL Custom Build

Mojo SL Size Medium

The absolute best components top to bottom.
Built it for myself but it seems I'm on my way to being a spineless (or of ridiculously broken spine) Jelly-Fish.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik/3659373525.html

Attachments

• IMAG0068.jpg
    IMAG0068.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_3279.JPG
    IMG_3279.JPG
    192.3 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_3289.JPG
    IMG_3289.JPG
    180.8 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_3292.JPG
    IMG_3292.JPG
    172.5 KB · Views: 66
  • IMAG0061.jpg
    IMAG0061.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 69
I can't begin to sift through this thread, this being post 7948.

You guys ride too right? Is there a place to post up MTB rides?

Anyone interested in MTB'ing weekday evenings, 430ish?
My fav's-
Laps on Josephs
Kennedy/dogmeat/Limekiln loop
Santa Teresa Park

Anyone have trouble bending cassettes? I do on a semi-regular basis. I bent my #3 cog, but hammered it straight - kinda got it working again. Managed to bend the #2 today. I have a new one on the way, but it's still going to be the SRAM 1070. Anyone use the 1099? I'm guessing it would be a good bit stronger and not bend, but I don't want to drop a few hundred just to tweak it in a month.

i-dnDJb9L-XL.jpg

Anyone have trouble bending cassettes? I do on a semi-regular basis. I bent my #3 cog, but hammered it straight - kinda got it working again. Managed to bend the #2 today. I have a new one on the way, but it's still going to be the SRAM 1070. Anyone use the 1099? I'm guessing it would be a good bit stronger and not bend, but I don't want to drop a few hundred just to tweak it in a month.
Bending 1070 isn't easy to do and I'm guessing that the more expensive sram stuff is much lighter and will probably bend just as easily if not easier but lets hear what the rest of the gang has to say.

+1 on what Harpo said. I'm not as familiar with SRAM cassettes, but with Shimano's, the XTR is the weakest. It's the lightest of course, and the most expensive, because the bigger cogs are titanium, but those are not as strong as steel rings.

Anyway, how exactly are you bending them? Just pedaling along? While shifting? Shifting while climbing a steep hill? I'm thinking it may be a technique thing.

I've only done it once when I tried shifting on a steep climb. So I try to anticipate my shifting better and not shift while pedaling hard. If I really need to shift on a steep climb, I'll sort of soft pedal until the shift is done. These drivetrains are not bulletproof nor foolproof.

Anyway, I'd suggest a Shimano XT or SLX/Saint (HG80?) cassette for you.

Last edited:
Cool. Yea, they bend while I'm already in gear. I've ridden for about 16 years - when I started stuff wouldn't shift under load, so I'm pretty used to quickly unweighting the pedals to shift. I forgot to mention that I'm 230lbs, plus about another 10 worth of gear. They normally bend during a steep climb... I'm guessing it's when I need a little burst of power or something. It's hard to tell because you normally don't notice until you go to shift into the gear again.

I'll give a XT a shot next time around. I stopped running Shimano cassettes and chains after SRAM came along - I think they are smoother and last longer. Haven't ridden one in a while, though.

You got a twin ring up front? Sounds like you're putting a lot torque on a bad chain line. I have two seasons of hard abuse on my 1070 but I'm running a single ring. The cheaper sram stuff tends to be stronger in my experience. I go through derailleurs more than anything else hands down.

Last edited:
anyone interested in a 26" redline monocog with some basic upgrades, i never got take it to any real trails and it has been sitting more than getting dirty? Will post it in grab bag too and open to trade for anything cx/gun/turntable/vinyls/fun related stuff

XTR and 1099 are weight weenie garbage ! They don't make money by selling you a durable product, it's all stupid "< grams the better marketing"

Stronger cassettes are the heavier ones

Last edited:
Marin Pine Mountain 29er (single speed) for sale!

Not as cheap as that Bridgestone, but still a good deal!

I'm selling my 2009 Marin Pine Mountain 29er. It is a steel-framed single speed mountain bike and is great for someone who wants to enjoy mountain biking at its simplest. The frame is a size medium (17") and will work for someone who is 5'9"-5'10". This bike is completely stock, except for the pedals. I have all original documentation from when I purchased it from Jenson USA. I will also include a patch kit, a spare tube, a hand pump, and a small tool kit.

Specs:
Fork: RockShox Reba 29er ($400 or so retail)
Frame: Steel, Size Medium (17")
Brakes: Avid Juicy 3 Hydraulic, 160mm rotors
Bottom Bracket: Truvativ eccentric bracket (allows for easy chain tensioning)
Gearing: 32/20 (low enough for climbing, but not TOO low)
Seat Post: FSA carbon
Hubs, Tires, Rims, Seat: WTB

Full Specs:
http://www.marinbikes.com/2009/us/bikes/specs_pine_mountain_29er.php

The MSRP for this bike was $1,785. I purchased it for $1,099 from Jenson USA (new) and have put about 600 miles on it (mostly commuting on asphalt, a little bit of fireroad/singletrack). My asking price is only $700, which is a great deal. Bike is located in SoCal, but I can easily bring it up to the Bay, if there is sufficient interest. Please shoot me a PM if interested!

(PS for the crappy iPhone pics - I swear they looked less blurry on the phone! :laughing)

2013-06-03193227_zps6f162e14.jpg

2013-06-03193235_zps4c6a8c2d.jpg

2013-06-03193243_zpse72865ce.jpg

2013-06-03193247_zps446e0318.jpg

2013-06-03193300_zpse71f8390.jpg

2013-06-03193314_zps13586669.jpg

2013-06-03193357_zpsdfbc2ab6.jpg

2013-06-03193410_zpsd2904661.jpg

2013-06-03193428_zps8db13628.jpg

2013-06-03193434_zpsa53d0908.jpg

2013-06-03193456_zps74b40002.jpg

Back