• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Mountain Bike?

Lookinig to add new AM rig...

Currently have a Fuel EX 26er and a carbon hardtail 29er. Looking to add a long-travel, 650b bike to my stable. I've narrowed it down to really two bikes and wanted your opinions.

1. 2014 Trek Remedy 9 27.5
2. 2014 Ventana Zues 650b

Both full XT 2x10. Both Aluminum. Trek seems to have the technology updated with Ventana maintaining their tried & true susp design. One is Taiwan-made, the other is made right here in NorCal at the Ventana shop.

I'm familiar with Trek as I currently have a Fuel EX8 but have always loved Ventana since seeing a Marble Peak back in the early '90s. But is Ventana relevant anymore in terms of being a great MTB? It's about $1K more than the Trek, but is the Remedy more bang for the buck?

Any input is very much appreciated... :)

Yea, I'd avoid the Ventana given they haven't changed their suspension tech in ages. The trek stuff is so good, and as you said, it's $1k cheaper. The made in Taiwan thing isn't a big deal as the quality is still top notch... this goes for essentially all major manufactures that build there. I'd say save the $1k and get the better bike.

Yea, I'd avoid the Ventana given they haven't changed their suspension tech in ages. The trek stuff is so good, and as you said, it's $1k cheaper. The made in Taiwan thing isn't a big deal as the quality is still top notch... this goes for essentially all major manufactures that build there. I'd say save the $1k and get the better bike.

Thanks for the input. The Remedy 9 27.5 is very appealing to me... Many don't seem to like Trek as a brand, but my Fuel has never let me down. Looked at other bikes too - different Susp tech, Switch, DW link, VPP etc and may try a few before deciding. A visit to Santa Rosa is due... Thx.

Thanks for the input. The Remedy 9 27.5 is very appealing to me... Many don't seem to like Trek as a brand, but my Fuel has never let me down. Looked at other bikes too - different Susp tech, Switch, DW link, VPP etc and may try a few before deciding. A visit to Santa Rosa is due... Thx.

Yea, it was, and still is cool to hate on the big guy. It's all BS if you ask me. Trek stuff, as well as Specialized and Giant stuff is all fantastic. I worked in a Trek shop for over 10 years, and was always impressed by their quality and customer service. Nowadays, if you're dropping a few K on a mountain bike, it's going to be great. This isn't the 90's when suspension was just coming around. Nearly every brand has a great design or leases one. So yea, DW, VPP, Trek AVP, whatever. It's going to be solid. Just ride a few and figure out what works best for you. I avoid the rear suspension issue by still riding hardtails... carbon 29'er hardtails, but still hardtails!

That Lake Chabot was quite some ride. Thanks you guys for putting up with this out of shape person, but I made it. I know what I have to do to get into better shape for the next ride.

Again thanks guys. I enjoyed.

That Lake Chabot was quite some ride. Thanks you guys for putting up with this out of shape person, but I made it. I know what I have to do to get into better shape for the next ride.

Again thanks guys. I enjoyed.

Some of the climbs at Chabot can be pretty brutal if you hammer it, or if you're out of shape.

One can put together several loops -- my short loop is 13 miles, longer loop is 20 miles...you can also combine it with Redwood and JMP for a ~30mile ride

Some of the climbs at Chabot can be pretty brutal if you hammer it, or if you're out of shape.

One can put together several loops -- my short loop is 13 miles, longer loop is 20 miles...you can also combine it with Redwood and JMP for a ~30mile ride

Yes there was very little down hill most was up hill. Even the down hill requires the use of arm muscles. It is a total body experience. I WILL NOT GIVE UP.

I wanted to quit 1/4 mile into the ride, but I knew if I did my fellow riders would look for me and not find me and be concerned of what happened to me so I had no choice but to forge ahead. When I got to the climb out of the golf course I knew there was no way out but to continue on.

Thanks guys for looking out for me. I will always make it. JUST WOW, but I will get into better shape and will be so ever thankful for all your support in my continuing on with this sport.

I am looking forward to the next time. :thumbup

Yes there was very little down hill most was up hill. Even the down hill requires the use of arm muscles. It is a total body experience. I WILL NOT GIVE UP.

I wanted to quit 1/4 mile into the ride, but I knew if I did my fellow riders would look for me and not find me and be concerned of what happened to me so I had no choice but to forge ahead. When I got to the climb out of the golf course I knew there was no way out but to continue on.

Thanks guys for looking out for me. I will always make it. JUST WOW, but I will get into better shape and will be so ever thankful for all your support in my continuing on with this sport.

I am looking forward to the next time. :thumbup

Revenue hunter you have a warrior spirit and hats off that you never gave up. Like I said, no Barfer left behind!:thumbup

What? You're like 20 how do you have a bad back ?

Throwing 140lb ruck sacks while bent over in the belly of a 747 for 6 hours a day, 5 days a week for 6 months.
That and sucking a lot of politicians poo on a daily basis. I'm not kidding.

That's how.

:mad

Herniated Disc L5-S1 at 23. Not no b!tch as$ herniation either. Pancake flat... :(

Last edited:
Throwing 140lb ruck sacks while bent over in the belly of a 747 for 6 hours a day, 5 days a week for 6 months.

That's how.

Herniated Disc L5-S1 at 23. Not no b!tch as$ herniation either. Pancake flat... :(
I'll trade ya........

Attachments

• necksurgery_full_zipper_medres.jpg
    necksurgery_full_zipper_medres.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 51

That's how.

Seriously ? You sure it wasn't a hoggin accident in Maryland ?
:(

Where did you take me that one time I rode with you??

Ok I had a few free minutes here (at work) and just noticed this thread. EVERYBODY who is anybody is on here. I can't believe I never spotted this.

Sup Rox, Sonny, Joe, Merrick (I see Doug everyday so I'll tell him hi in person)?

Macr, You here too?

Last edited:
Ok I had a few free minutes here (at work) and just noticed this thread. EVERYBODY who is anybody is on here. I can't believe I never spotted this.

Sup Rox, Sonny, Joe, Merrick (I see Doug everyday so I'll tell him hi in person)?

Macr, You here too?
Nick?????????????

Just installed some new Shimano 24 SPEED Shifter Brake Lever EZ FIRE PLUS ef51, both 3 and 8 on my mountain bike. Working very good and now I can get out again.

Back