• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Mountain Bike?

Fort Ord was fun. We did 50 miles in 3 days. The most entertaining was trail 41. There wasn't too much technical stuff in terms of climbing. We climbed 42 and many other trails that were probably meant to be ridden the opposite direction. I found that many trails in SLO area have tougher terrain/climbs than what was at Fort Ord. Nevertheless, I still had a great time!

IMG_1417.jpg

ord

Is the place to ride during rainy season. The sand packs in and is good riding.

Any SLO riders have some good trail recommendations? I'm headed to the inlaws Fri/Sat so I'm looking to get out and ride. Is most of the good single track marked or do you pretty much need a guide on your first outing like in Santa Cruz?

Thread revival! Hey is anyone interested in a one-off custom factory paint option Santa Cruz jackal frame? It's unridden, and comes with factory warranty. Only one of its kind, pearl white and includes a carbon seatpost... Barfers get first right of refusal before it goes on the web.

Thread revival! Hey is anyone interested in a one-off custom factory paint option Santa Cruz jackal frame? It's unridden, and comes with factory warranty. Only one of its kind, pearl white and includes a carbon seatpost... Barfers get first right of refusal before it goes on the web.

size and price por favor....

It's the shorter one, a 'standard'. Not the long one. 400 pickup in Santa Cruz, 425 for weekday delivery to SJ(SU).

Trust me when I say NOBODY that wants to ride a jackal as intended needs a large. Have you ridden the two sizes? Shit, swoop it and flip it, I just wanna build a wheelset for a very special silly bike.

Trust me when I say NOBODY that wants to ride a jackal as intended needs a large. Have you ridden the two sizes? Shit, swoop it and flip it, I just wanna build a wheelset for a very special silly bike.

:laughing

I was only going by the SC site specs..and they say i am long :p

and no, I have not ridden a jackal and I am not a dirt jumper - a buddy of mine has a pump track and I'm trying to get one built in my city.

Figured a Jackal SS on 26's rigid would be a fun PT bike....maybe chainless...

hmmmmm

:laughing

I was only going by the SC site specs..and they say i am long :p

and no, I have not ridden a jackal and I am not a dirt jumper - a buddy of mine has a pump track and I'm trying to get one built in my city.

Figured a Jackal SS on 26's rigid would be a fun PT bike....maybe chainless...

hmmmmm

I have a pumptrack in my backyard, and we have a jackal built to ride it. A long one though, and it doesn't feel quite perfect. Not bad enough to build a short one, especially a one-of-a-kind sex machine. Thus, this one gets turned into some wheels.

A rigid jackal would be the business on a private pumptrack. Especially chainless, it'll do wonders for your riding and fitness. You may want a fork to smooth out the requisite public pumptrack lumps.

LINK TO PICS

Dude it still has the plastic on the S-MAN badge...

DOOOOO EEEEEEEET

Last edited:
As much as I want that I think my knees want the longer frame. Have been planning on building up a Jackal to retire the P.2 (which is also a long). The adjustable dropouts are the shiz.

Any SLO riders have some good trail recommendations? I'm headed to the inlaws Fri/Sat so I'm looking to get out and ride. Is most of the good single track marked or do you pretty much need a guide on your first outing like in Santa Cruz?

Ping MrCrash :)

I have two Pump/Jump bikes to sell.

A Yeti and a NS Suburban.
The Yeti is on CL and I can send a text pic of the NS. Both are in outstanding shape.

Howdy :) Roxy pinged me, I might be able to give you a hand. I went to school there, and routinely make road trips down specifically to ride. In fact, we just went last weekend.

How long of a ride are you looking for, and how rocky do you like it?

- Mike

Howdy :) Roxy pinged me, I might be able to give you a hand. I went to school there, and routinely make road trips down specifically to ride. In fact, we just went last weekend.

How long of a ride are you looking for, and how rocky do you like it?

- Mike
Hey Mike (and thanks Roxy!),
I usually prefer long and technical rides (I'm fine with downievilles level of rockiness) but not a huge fan of constant dismounting to sight lines in more techy rocky terrain...if that makes sense. Im usually down there a few times a year so it would be great to have some ride advice. :teeth

Thanks in advance!

Hey Mike (and thanks Roxy!),
I usually prefer long and technical rides (I'm fine with downievilles level of rockiness) but not a huge fan of constant dismounting to sight lines in more techy rocky terrain...if that makes sense. Im usually down there a few times a year so it would be great to have some ride advice. :teeth

Thanks in advance!

Sweet! You're gonna love SLO then. You don't use a Garmin GPS, do you? I could hook you up with some course files, all you'd have to do is follow the line :)

There's a lot of climbing in SLO, and a lot of it is rocky. Best options are:

1) Shooters > Botanicals > Morning Glory on Cuesta Grade.

2) Rock Garden and Lemon Grove on Cerro San Luis (a.k.a. Madonna Mountain)

3) Irish Hills

4) Montano de Oro (in Los Osos)

Check out this website for more information on each of them:

http://mountainbikeslocounty.com/

SLO is good stuff - this is the shot from the Skills Area on the Eucalyptus Grove on Cuesta Grade:

slo-eucs_zpsbd5fa728.jpg

Wow, I had no idea there were so many good trails in SLO. The Garmin files would be great--I will PM you my email addy. Thanks a bunch, Mike. I can't wait to hit the trails. :cool

Anyone know any good sites to check for used mtn. bikes in norcal
besides CL? I am in the market for a new bike and looking for a
good full suspension XL 29er (Tallboy). Feel free to PM me if you happen
to have any good leads...thanks!

C-

Back