• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Mountain Bike?

That said, please tell me why you guys that switched to RS aren't running Float/Talas 36. Those things are steady as a rock (said the 145pound rider):) and smooth as butter, ....in my experience.

My bike is 650b and the Fox 36 just recently became available for it but too late..
I had a Fox Float 36 RC2 Factory @ 180mm on my last bike and loved it. (Still had a some flex though:p) I'm about 195 without gear..The Pike has a little bit more flex than the 36 but the valving is awsome..Seems to make up for it..
The bike with the Pike and Cane Creek DB air cs is damn near as plush as my Demo with RC4 and Fox 40.:wow

Thanx for the responses guys.
I guess i never think about it because (if i ever get back on a bike) I'm still running stndrd wheel (26in) and i weigh 145 on a good day so a Fox 36 and a DHXair,...for me,... are plush as a cloud and solid as a rock.

Well another multi-level spinal surgery (#5) in 10 days so put in a few miles for me because it will be a while before I'm out there. :(

Thanx for the responses guys.
I guess i never think about it because (if i ever get back on a bike) I'm still running stndrd wheel (26in) and i weigh 145 on a good day so a Fox 36 and a DHXair,...for me,... are plush as a cloud and solid as a rock.

Well another multi-level spinal surgery (#5) in 10 days so put in a few miles for me because it will be a while before I'm out there. :(

Whatever you end up getting trying to stick to around a max of 545mm Axle to crown on the HD. Bike handles like shit with anything taller unless you angle set it.

Whatever you end up getting trying to stick to around a max of 545mm Axle to crown on the HD. Bike handles like shit with anything taller unless you angle set it.

Hmmm, i figured that bike (HD) would probably be built on a platform that would perfectly accomodate a 36/160. Would that NOT be a correct assumption????

Hmmm, i figured that bike (HD) would probably be built on a platform that would perfectly accomodate a 36/160. Would that NOT be a correct assumption????

Fox 36's are 545.3mm A2C :thumbup

Last edited:
Ah, new fork and wheels are here! I'm going to have to resist spending the day in the garage tomorrow as I have some writing I need to do. The pike is burly!

All ready to ride. Heading to Tamarancho on Sunday. This thing is gonna shred.

IMG_9617-XL.jpg

Here's a cute dog picture as well
IMG_9620-XL.jpg

Alright, the Pike is freaking awesome. Knocked out three laps at Tamarancho this morning and I'm impressed by the ride quality. A shocking difference in stiffness, plus the small bump compliance is out of control. The thing just eats up everything. The I9 Enduros are noticeably stiffer compared to my I9 Trials. Overall both things made an already awesome bike way better.

So I'm just starting to get into cycling. I've got a cross bike that I take to work and do weekend rides with but my friends are using PEER PRESSURE to make me get a mountain bike.
I've got a co-worker willing to sell me this for $400
14%2B-%2B1

I know nothing about MTB but it seems like a good deal. Needs a new chain and rear derailer needs adjustment. I can do the work myself so no big deal there.

apparently its the last frame schwin made before whoring out. the wheels, forks, stem, seat post, and bars are aftermarket. weight about 29 pounds.

keep in mind im poor.

I'm sure there are peeps on this thread that are far more qualified to answer your question but $400 seems a bit steep to me for that filthy, probably never tuned or adjusted dirty Schwin. :wtf
If I'm not mistaken, for just a little bit more $$ you moght be able to pick yourself up an '05ish Specialized Stumpjumper, with an adjustable rear shock (propedal/lockout) and a Fox Talas fork. At last check I'm thinking they were in the $500-$600 price range, ... which I'm thinking is significantly better than this Schwin.

Check Craigslist first and see what you come up with.

PS: 05 or newer is about when the seat-tube wasn't cut off to make way for the shock. It was a far better design with the uninterrupted seat-tube. The 04 and earlier (with the cut off seat/tube) wasn't nearly as efficient.

PSS: Everything I just wrote is, ...IMHO :)

Last edited:
That might be the Rebel 250 of mtn bikes.

My arguments against dept store bikes boil down to $$$ invested.
You will be better off trying a bike that can be resold at the same cost if you hate cycling. Plus it looks small, arent you 6' tall ?

Thats the ticket too, 4-bar design (still used by Specialized), boutique (made in North America) and under rated by the industry.

The popularity of Rocky Mountain in British Columbia is equal to Santa Cruz Bikes here.

Back